Cold Weather Ban

Not long before it's Engalnd as well.

I've just got in from a session with decoys under the moon. The pair of wigeon that I had were a bit thin. Any more like that and I won't bother much more for a bit.

Edited by rjimmer

The farmer,s on my estate are not to pleased with the BAN :thumbdown: but as i tried to tell them there is nothing i or anybody can do until the BAN is lifted :wallbash: it might be because there is over 1000+ Graylags feeding on there winter wheat :thumbdown: and just before the ban me and some of my mates had some great shooting :) now will have more time to go stalking :thumbs:

Me and some mates supposed to be going to Wigtown Bay (Dumf & Galloway) end of Jan but the guy where we stay tells me the ban is currently on there and it isnt going to be reviewed till Jan 12th :hmm: He said that might be it for this year.......

Me and some mates supposed to be going to Wigtown Bay (Dumf & Galloway) end of Jan but the guy where we stay tells me the ban is currently on there and it isnt going to be reviewed till Jan 12th :hmm: He said that might be it for this year.......

Hi just to rub some salt in...lol...theres a fair few geese using the Bay atm.......Thats where I shoot the foreshore....

Alan

The farmer,s on my estate are not to pleased with the BAN :thumbdown: but as i tried to tell them there is nothing i or anybody can do until the BAN is lifted :wallbash: it might be because there is over 1000+ Graylags feeding on there winter wheat :thumbdown: and just before the ban me and some of my mates had some great shooting :) now will have more time to go stalking :thumbs:

Your farmer can get a licence via the scottish office for them to protect his crops dispite the ban but if you can refrain do so it has been hard for the birds cant blame them really.

Unless the cold weather improves(higher temperatures forcast for Sunday), England and Wales will be affected by a cold weather ban on wildfowl shooting from next Saturday.

We might not be able to have a coot drive this year.

Edited by rjimmer

Your farmer can get a licence via the scottish office for them to protect his crops dispite the ban but if you can refrain do so it has been hard for the birds cant blame them really.

I am with you mate :thumbs: will give them a rest, he was up for getting the licence from Scottish Agricultural crop protection at Ayr but even then they say you can only shoot so many, and disturbance is to be at a minimum, and how do you do that shooting :hmm: they must be starving because they are only yards from a main road and you can stop and they dont even lift there heads :tongue2: went by today there must be well over 1000 Graylags and thats not counting the Canada geese, a few 100 of them also, i am hiding from the farmer :whistling: he goes on holiday on Monday thank f--k :D

There appears to be no let up, i have been feeding a pond that is open, there is moving water nearby that held teal, wigeon, mallard and half a dozen gadwall today. I stood by the open part tonight and toasted my last flight this year with a capful of brandy into the water and thanked the duckgods,

I took two cock teal and then fed the margins and called it a day. Till next year :thumbs:

***UPDATE*** 12th January 2010

After three days of milder coastal temperatures, England and Wales currently stand on day zero of severe weather conditions, according to jointly agreed criteria. Legal suspension of shooting would not be introduced before day 15. BASC believes many areas are still experiencing localised conditions which are having an adverse affect on birds.

Because of the winter weather, BASC is maintaining its call for voluntary restraint to be exercised across England and Wales , where local conditions merit it, for the shooting of ducks (including reared mallard), geese, waders (including woodcock), coot and moorhen.

It is important to be on the lookout for unusual movement of birds, or birds in poor condition. Individuals, clubs and syndicates should then take decisions at a local level. Bear in mind that snow-covered ground will create welfare problems for birds.

In Scotland a statutory order suspending the shooting of wildfowl and waders took effect from 00:01 am on Tuesday 5th January. The suspension is expected to last for the full period of 14 days, but BASC is hopeful that it will not be extended beyond midnight on Monday 18th January. The forecast period of milder temperatures should be sufficient to allow birds to recover from the cold spell. Scotland currently stands on day 20 of severe weather.

A list of species covered by protection orders can be found in the guidance below. Game birds are not affected, but the shooting of reared duck is prohibited during the suspension.

The Northern Ireland Environment Agency has temporarily suspended the shooting of waterfowl (ducks, geese and waders) from 8am on Thursday 7th January.

In Northern Ireland species listed in Schedule 1 (Part 2) and Schedule 2 of the Wildlife Order are covered by the statutory suspension. They include ducks, geese, golden plover and curlew.

Common snipe, jacksnipe and woodcock, however, are covered by game legislation rather than the Wildlife Order. This would have required a 21-day period of consultation before a Special Protection Order could be introduced and the Environment Agency has opted not to bring in specific protection measures.

However, recognising that these species can be adversely affected by prolonged severe weather BASC urges all shooters to give them the freedom from disturbance that they need while the statutory suspension for the other waterfowl species is in place.