Reloading advise please 22-250rem

I will load more 35 gr tommorrow but should I increase the distance to the lands or just load them to 130thou back until I have tested the rifle with and without the moderator(I have never used the rifle without the moderator fitted)? At present I am using once fired fully formed Norma brass I was told that once the cases have been fire formed I should just neck size and this alone will make my loads more accurate. Just for now, I would keep it to 130 thou back until you have shot mod on mod off. Norma brass is fine. With regards to neck sizing, the answer to that is yes, but the yes relates in the main to prolonging your case life. The jury (for me and perhaps a few others) is out on the accuracy stakes. Yes very much so on custom barrels with tight chambers, but with massed produced (sometimes sloppy chambers) barrels I personally dont think fired formed cases improve accuracy.

I,like yourself hunt deer and fox but until I can feel comfortable with the accuracy of my rifle,load and my shooting with the new rifle I have opted for punching paper,(one of my friends a factory ammo only chap I would guess - when you get your 22.250 below .5 MOA he will ask you to reload for him.told me that I was expecting too much from a sporting rifle but I disagree I refuse to risk anything other than a clean kill) I will try shooting with both eyes open on my next visit to the target,I already do the breathing part.

I have no intention on giving up on you,I have learned so much from you in the last few days and I bet others on the forum have picked up a few top tips too and I hope that eventually I can achieve something even close to the sort of groupings that you are getting.

Thanks again.

Tam

Sorry late in replying as above - been off shooting pheasant with my syndicate. I expect you have already done the mod test by now?

Peter

Hi peter,Im just in from work the weather up here has been terrible so I never got out with the rifle but I did however lighten the trigger a wee bit just to crispen it up ,hoping to do the mod test in the morning and I will let you know how I get on.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well done Tam - so very pleased for you - are you still 130 thou back from the lands?   Peter

Posted Images

Hi peter,I got out this morning to test with mod on (0.800"group)and mod off(1.550" group) I used a bag to rest the butt on and shot with both eyes open results were better group with mod on but think I flinched due to recoil with the first two shots with the mod off,i did notice that on both groupings the third and fourth shots were very similarly positioned next to the vertical line of the target and in both shots were 0.150" centre to centre

post-17299-126253662226_thumb.jpg

Edited by Night Hunter

Hi peter ,I managed to do a five shot group with the same 35gr of varget powder load but seated back 0.180" back from the lands ,seems like I need to settle a bit more before starting to shoot test groups as 1st and 2nd shots were quite a bit out (1.580"apart) but the last three shots were quite close (0.420" group).

post-17299-126253883099_thumb.jpg

Edited by Night Hunter

Hi peter ,I managed to do a five shot group with the same 35gr of varget powder load but seated back 0.180" back from the lands ,seems like I need to settle a bit more before starting to shoot test groups as 1st and 2nd shots were quite a bit out (1.580"apart) but the last three shots were quite close (0.420" group).

Hi Mal

You know what? I reckon at 180 thou back your barrel is starting to appreciate your efforts! It is not uncommon when developing different loads for your barrel to take (usually) one or two shots to climatize itself to the different pressure that a new load/distance entails - this is why 5 shots always gives a better indication of a batches' grouping - my bet would have been if you had put a further two into that target your group would still have stayed more or less at .420 I assume you are using the horizontal/vertical lines on the taget to line up on with your crosshairs? Anyway - - well done you!!

Looking again at that target and the all important 3 shots. If they had been a vertical group I would probably have said you could probably increase your powder, but this horizontal suggests the weight is OK and lets face it a millimetre movement by you at the muzzle will make a difference at POI at 100 yds . What is your COL now measuring at 180thou?

Peter

Hi Mal

You know what? I reckon at 180 thou back your barrel is starting to appreciate your efforts! It is not uncommon when developing different loads for your barrel to take (usually) one or two shots to climatize itself to the different pressure that a new load/distance entails - this is why 5 shots always gives a better indication of a batches' grouping - my bet would have been if you had put a further two into that target your group would still have stayed more or less at .420 I assume you are using the horizontal/vertical lines on the taget to line up on with your crosshairs? Anyway - - well done you!!

Looking again at that target and the all important 3 shots. If they had been a vertical group I would probably have said you could probably increase your powder, but this horizontal suggests the weight is OK and lets face it a millimetre movement by you at the muzzle will make a difference at POI at 100 yds . What is your COL now measuring at 180thou?

Peter

Hi peter

I did find it much easier with both eyes open and with the bag beneath the stock,and at 100 measured yards my crosshairs completely covered the lines on the target,the col at 0.180" back is 2.300"

Hi peter

I did find it much easier with both eyes open and with the bag beneath the stock,and at 100 measured yards my crosshairs completely covered the lines on the target,the col at 0.180" back is 2.300"

Hm... at 2.300" there would appear not much left of the shaft of the bullet before the ogive exposed above the top of the case neck ( mine is 2.355" however I have 37 gr of N150) I am not overly concerned, but if me, I would probably try a compremise instead of 180, I would look at say 150 thou back - if it preforms as well group wise as the 180, I would adopt the 150. - at 150 it is nearer SAAMI spec.

Peter

Edited by dicehorn

Hi peter

Hm... at 2.300" there would appear not much left of the shaft of the bullet before the ogive exposed above the top of the case neck ( mine is 2.355" however I have 37 gr of N150) I am not overly concerned, but if me, I would probably try a compremise instead of 180, I would look at say 150 thou back - if it preforms as well group wise as the 180, I would adopt the 150. - at 150 it is nearer SAAMI spec.

Peter

Hi peter,

I will try loading another five at 130thou back and five at 150thou back and compare to see what happens as the group at 130 thou back that I tried with the moderator on had 0.800"four shot grouping and if the first two shots could have been the barrel settling in to the load then that length(col=2.350" is shown as the recomended col on hodgden's website) may perform fine as the other two shot measured 0.150" centre to centre but I think it will be friday afternoon before I get out to the target as I am back at work tomorrow and its dark when I get home will let you know what happens when I test them.

cheers

Tam

Edited by Night Hunter
  • 1 month later...

Also just to add that varget is not as temperature sensitive as the other powders, and will give better consistancy therefor...

jump all depends on the rifle in question, you could have to exactly the same rifles and one liking a jump the other hating it and need seating in the lands...

its all down to testing...

i dont weigh my cases or trim the necks... as anything i've read suggests that its only gonna affect accuracy on benchrest or custom chamber rifle...

but i can understand dicehorn wanting to get the best from what he makes.... i may just by a neck turner one day... as i'm as anal when it comes to nitty gritty...

good luck with the testing.

Snap.

Just jumping in to say i have really enjoyed this post so far from the side lines, and picked up some good advice from all involved, just wish it had been about the .270, as i have been tinkering about for a few weeks with 110gr V-Max/ VihtV N160. I am waiting on N.H.'s results to see how he get's on.

Just jumping in to say i have really enjoyed this post so far from the side lines, and picked up some good advice from all involved, just wish it had been about the .270, as i have been tinkering about for a few weeks with 110gr V-Max/ VihtV N160. I am waiting on N.H.'s results to see how he get's on.

Well I had an email from NH today about his latest grouping which I am sure he would rather tell you about. I believe he is back around 130 thou off the lands

This actually was a first for me, trying to help someone at the other end of the country without shaking a paw and not seeing rifle/made up ammo or indeed the technique in making them. Enjoy your rifle Tam.

Peter

Well I had an email from NH today about his latest grouping which I am sure he would rather tell you about. I believe he is back around 130 thou off the lands

This actually was a first for me, trying to help someone at the other end of the country without shaking a paw and not seeing rifle/made up ammo or indeed the technique in making them. Enjoy your rifle Tam.

Peter

Cheer's for the reply :thumbs: hope you did not mine me jumping in :icon_redface: was very interesting :)

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly I would like to thank Peter for his help and advice,I am sure that you will all agree that his information is very comprehensive and detailed

my groupings have come together a treat and now my rifle seems to be appreciating the ammunition ,I just need to fine tune my shooting now.

(distance from lands was actualy 0.130" and not 0.180"as stated in pics)

five shot group from bipod one shot low and left other four shots measure just 0.350"

post-17299-126800127383_thumb.jpg

five shot group from bipod one shot right other four shots still only measured 0.520"

post-17299-126800130287_thumb.jpg

Cheers Tam

Edited by Night Hunter