Unusual calibers

Just out of interest who else Dare's to stray from the .223/.243/.308, and try something else more exotic ?

.260 rem

I 'would' move from the mundane in to more exotic if it were not for being lazy. I have a .22rf, .243" & .308". As I reload I can load the .243" with 58 grain up to 100 grain bullets, crows to roe and the .308 takes over from there. Conversely the .22rf will do everything up to the .243". So for me, it's more about exotic loads such as a 58 grain V-max in my .243" or a 75 grain dual purpose load.

John

Just out of interest who else Dare's to stray from the .223/.243/.308, and try something else more exotic ?

.260 rem

I have 223, 243, 308 and a 260 rem, I use the 260 for long range varminting abroad and for target, its a round that is very hard to beat on accuracy and has a fantastic long range performance that well out performs any 308 or 243, it is one of the very few rounds with a launch speed of around 2750Fps and will still be doing 1550 fps at 1000 yards, it is flatter shooting than a 243, and has much less variation in velocities and impact point for varying bullet weights, I use 123 grain Lapua and 139 grain lapua mostly, and both are nearly identical out to 600 yards, one draw back to the 260 is that it does have a tendency to over penetrate without expanding which is one of the main problems with hunting with this calibre, that was why the 6.5 mannlicher was used as an elephant gun, in skilled hands the little 6.5 bullet could drop an elephant with a single round to the head.

One of the interesting things about the 260 is that you can get 338 Lapua mag ballistic performance from a 308 based case, and it wont ever exceed the MOD high muzzle energy rules, not bad for a round that will shoot to about 1600 meters.

I had my barrel reamed so it had a loose throat, this meant that all i needed to do to replace cartridges was just neck size a 308 case down to 6.5, load it up and away i went, it works very well for me, and it produces some remarkable accuracy.

My only problem is, I made my rifle as an experiment, liked it so much I left it alone, so it isn't exactly a hunter, at 23Lbs, though fine for set position varminting, such as from the back of a pickup, bipod or bench.

Anyway here is my mechano gun as the guys have taken to calling it on the ranges, I am also banned from using it in copetitions, which says it all really.

I currently have 6.5x54mm and a .14 Walker and some other not so exotic stuff. Have a 9mm RF shotgun too.

Previously I've had both .460 and .257 Weatherby's. Used to have a .416 Rigby as well.

the .14 was on my wish list 2yrs ago but it didnt see daylight-who did yours?sell it to me!!!!

I currently have 6.5x54mm and a .14 Walker and some other not so exotic stuff. Have a 9mm RF shotgun too.

Previously I've had both .460 and .257 Weatherby's. Used to have a .416 Rigby as well.

the .14 was on my wish list 2yrs ago but it didnt see daylight-who did yours?sell it to me!!!!

Mine is built on a stainless Ruger 77/Hornet action with a 26" stainless barrel from a company called DKT in the states. I had the barrel for six or seven years before doing anything with it. The reamer was from Pacific Precision Tooling, I seem to recall. I got brass in a semi-formed state from a chap called John Delizier in the US; it was necked down but I had to fire-form it to shape. Loading dies were RCBS custom shot supplied by Mid-South Shooters Supply.

The rifle was assembled by Norman Clark in Rugby who did all the profiling, chambering, threading, mounting and crowning. Also applied a nice silk-grey finish to it. I will post some pics as soon as I can get them off my other computer.

The round is made from necked down and improved .22 Hornet brass. Bullets range from about 10 grains to about 18 grains.

The rifle isn't for sale. However, I have another reamer in .14/222 which is going to be a future project. If you are interested we may get a discount on barrels and suchlike if we go in together.

J.

Try this one Guys, its MANNILICHER SCHOENAUER pre production prototype, originally in 6.5x54 but re-barreled to 9.5x57mm in 1910,( there were 2 MANNILICHER SCHOENAUER matching serial numbers both owned by my family from new, but both were stolen about 20 years ago, when placed in storage, the MET got the 9.5 back after 18 years, anyway, it chucks a 275 grain FMJ or Mercury tipped hollow point at 2440fps, don't have any left, and as the rifle has only a 18 inch barrel and weighs in at just under 6 1/4 pounds, I can tell you it is quiet interesting to fire.

I now use it as a short range fun gun, using lead 250 grain heads on top of a well packed/waded (I use Polystyrene) load of 23 grains of Accurate 5744 it will shoot 1 to 2 inch groups at 100 yards on a real good day, mostly because my eyes are not good enough for the sights, its quiet good to 300 yards and that is it, it wont shoot any further no matter what I do, at 100 yards you hear the gun go off, and a very distinct impact on the target, its a fun gun, but one I rather like, and no, there is no smoother action on any gun ever made, it is the perfect African hunting carry rifle and if anyone owns one they will know exactly why, works very well on Piggies too.

post-44882-126234923083_thumb.jpg

Edited by AB TAC

Try this one Guys, its MANNILICHER SCHOENAUER pre production prototype, originally in 6.5x54 but re-barreled to 9.5x57mm in 1910,( there were 2 MANNILICHER SCHOENAUER matching serial numbers both owned by my family from new, but both were stolen about 20 years ago, when placed in storage, the MET got the 9.5 back after 18 years, anyway, it chucks a 275 grain FMJ or Mercury tipped hollow point at 2440fps, don't have any left, and as the rifle has only a 18 inch barrel and weighs in at just under 6 1/4 pounds, I can tell you it is quiet interesting to fire.

I now use it as a short range fun gun, using lead 250 grain heads on top of a well packed/waded (I use Polystyrene) load of 23 grains of Accurate 5744 it will shoot 1 to 2 inch groups at 100 yards on a real good day, mostly because my eyes are not good enough for the sights, its quiet good to 300 yards and that is it, it wont shoot any further no matter what I do, at 100 yards you hear the gun go off, and a very distinct impact on the target, its a fun gun, but one I rather like, and no, there is no smoother action on any gun ever made, it is the perfect African hunting carry rifle and if anyone owns one they will know exactly why, works very well on Piggies too.

Very nice. Mine is in 6.5x54 and dates from 1929. Lovely rifle. I can't imagine what it would recoil like with 275grn bullets!!!!

The 6.5 was used extensivly in Africa by Bell for killing Elephant - he was the only guy who did it though. He's supposed to have killed over 1000 with it.

J.

Very nice. Mine is in 6.5x54 and dates from 1929. Lovely rifle. I can't imagine what it would recoil like with 275grn bullets!!!!

The 6.5 was used extensivly in Africa by Bell for killing Elephant - he was the only guy who did it though. He's supposed to have killed over 1000 with it.

J.

I am thinking of putting the action back into production, its all drawn up ready to go, in 243 to 308 it would make a great deer gun, and as a 22 250 a good foxer too, as for what a full load is like, well, as a fit youngster I had a 340 weatherby, and that was a pussy cat in comparison to the 9.5x57, I will say though if you need to carry a gun a long way, and be able to strip it down from rotary mag to bolt, then there was no other gun like the Mannlicher, controlled feed, 5 round rotary mag, stripper clip loading,double set triggers, 6 1/4 pounds weight comes to the aim like a dream, wish I could make them like that.

A true classic gun,

Edited by AB TAC

J.

I am thinking of putting the action back into production, its all drawn up ready to go, in 243 to 308 it would make a great deer gun, and as a 22 250 a good foxer too, as for what a full load is like, well, as a fit youngster I had a 340 weatherby, and that was a pussy cat in comparison to the 9.5x57, I will say though if you need to carry a gun a long way, and be able to strip it down from rotary mag to bolt, then there was no other gun like the Mannlicher, controlled feed, 5 round rotary mag, stripper clip loading,double set triggers, 6 1/4 pounds weight comes to the aim like a dream, wish I could make them like that.

A true classic gun,

Wow...nice one! It's always been a conversation point when discussing these about how much they must have cost to make. They certainly don't look cheap and must have been a pretty penny back in the day. Must be insanely expensive to make today....although maybe not with modern CNC equipment.

Look forward to piucs if you ever get anywhere with it.

J.

It depends on how many people would want a new Mannlicher, and in what materials, for instance it is the same to machine stainless as to make a traditional steel gun, so who wants what? I like the traditional bluing myself, the actions would all be the same size as we would use the 308 case as standard, so its only a matter of what barrel chamberings would be wanted, after the initial prototypes are made its just a matter of running actions off in batches of say 50, anyway we will see, we should have something coming off the machines by next Christmas, no idea on price, but the quality will sure be there, I will post the prices and possible availability dates when I know.

We also have a 50 cal and a 7.62 military weapon in development though they will not be available in the UK.

A

• 2 weeks later...