Boars in Oz

We have all had a rough couple of days.

Russell, our original Butters blood dog was dead in his cage on Saturday afternoon. Don't know what happened, doesn't really matter, dead is dead. ScottyS, ScottR and I had all just decided to get some straws from the 10 year old in case something happened. I was due at the vet's on Friday but got held up chasing a bloke who owed our business more than $10,000. Planned to go out today but no chance of that now. It gutted me.

And Paris died that night on a hunt in South East Queensland. Dropped mid stride while following a scent. She was about five and had previously taken a heap of grass seed into her lungs and had extensive operations to repair. It might have been to do with this in her past. Again, we don't know, doesn't matter. Paris was ScottyS's bitch by Kevin RIP out of Cathy (now 12 and looks not long for this world) so there's no repeating her.

Russell was a good dog, caught six roos as a pup before I broke that habit. Never looked at stock of any description. Worked hard to find his pigs and fearless on rough boars. It was him we have worked back to in all our breeding. It's like losing a brother to me. I couldn't have felt more for a dog. Finding him with meat ants on him seemed a terrible insult to a dog that had never failed me.

Paris was a freakish finder and one of the gamest dogs I've produced. ScottyS has a knack for getting the best out of my dogs and he had her at the top of her game before the grass seeds and nursed her back into excellent form after. Only about 25kgs she worked above her weight and had embarassed a few blokes who had suggested she was too light for real work. Of the 25kgs, about 20kgs was heart.

ScottR has a daughter of Paris by Scotty the dog. The bitch is Bindi and she appears to be in pup to Russell. I will have one of those pups.

And so it goes.

Cheers.

Edited by Ned Makim
  • Like 1

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

(I'll just make the point again that we don't stand around taking photos of dogs on pigs. The photos are the best of hundreds that are shot on the run in to grab the pig. To stand around risks injury

The APDHA (Australian Pig Doggers and Hunters Association) had its annual general meeting withiun striking range of my place at the weekend and one of my mates (Steve) from had driven 14 hours to the

I'd only have one dog that big. Most of mine are around 3o kgs. As for getting them upset...be almost impossible mate. The whole concept of pig dogs is to have them determined but manageable. You can'

Posted Images

really sorry to read that mate,its always sad to lose a dog.they are comrades in sport and every day life(to be honest i prefer my dogs company to most people.they may be a pain sometimes but are "true" and loyal to you).

keep your chin up and i hope the pup is true to the line and does you proud bud :thumbs:

all the best for you and the dogs mate.

michael.

I'm also sorry to hear your bad news. It's just an unfortunate part of having,and working, dogs. At least they weren't just banged up on a sofa snoozing their lives away like so many dogs out there-they got to live and work hard. Personally it never gets easier for me losing my work buddies. Best of luck.

forgot to add are hannah and bob still with you?

Thanks fellas for the kind words.

Yes Hannah and Bob are still batting on. But working pig dogs tend to come to abrupt ends so you can go years without a drama and then lose four or five in a couple of weekends. It is a part of what makes this all real. It is a life and death game but the dogs definitely get to really 'live' a big life. They get to live as a pack, hunt like a wolf, and are loved and respected like no other. Well that's the way it is for us anyway.

Thanks again for the support.

Cheers.

Terrible news Ned. Very sorry to hear.

I only just got onto your thread on here- I do not get on here much at the moment. But have followed it on the other 2. Maybe more so as your line of dogs remind me of the old bitch i have here- stag(wolf?)/bloodhound x mastiff/bully. I understand the 'arrogance' you talk off although once 'tuned' they are willing to please althoug that arrogance stays :)

Keep it up

Edited by hairybull

Hi ya Ned

I'm a newbe to THL, I've been into field sports since i came out of shitty nappy's, I've had the pleasure of having a bash at most things in our sport. But nothing comes any where close to what you fellas get up too, :notworthy: Now to say I'm hungry for a bit of that action is a understatement.

Well until my numbers come up I'll have to keep reading your threads, keep erm coming mate..

Allan,

Re the owed money...it was $12500 and I have it all in my hands thanks. It's not the money, it's the disrespect that was the big motivator.

Back to the dogs, on Thursday Bindi goes in for an ultrasound to see if she is in pup and maybe how many. If all's well she is due March 3.

Cheers.

Paul with Stan.

north09july29521am.jpg

Me with Gina and Mary

north09aug2613am.jpg

Paul with Mary.

north09july25107am.jpg

The dogs find the pigs and grab them and then the hunter either rolls the pig and ties it up or kills it with a knife. We might have four dogs on the truck but only one or two are free to hunt out at any time.

Cheers.

very good pics and interesting what is in the blood of your dogs are they what you ozzys call your bull arabs or your own line,get some more pics on cheers mate

I have posted it before but it's back a bit in the thread. They are bred down from Butters dogs which were a line of working pigdogs based on dane, wlfhound, Eng bully and Eng mastiff. There is also deerhound in mine (in some familes of the dogs). They are referred to in Oz as Makim dogs. Bull arabs came from Eng bully, greyhound and GSP with bloodhound and I think Eng pointer added later. I don't have any bull arabs, just our own line, but I have mates with BAs.

Cheers.

Edit: Actually, as I posted I remembered there is a bull arab bitch in some of the outcrosses and Stan looks a little like his grandmother, the BA...

Edited by Ned Makim