Boars in Oz

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

(I'll just make the point again that we don't stand around taking photos of dogs on pigs. The photos are the best of hundreds that are shot on the run in to grab the pig. To stand around risks injury

The APDHA (Australian Pig Doggers and Hunters Association) had its annual general meeting withiun striking range of my place at the weekend and one of my mates (Steve) from had driven 14 hours to the

I'd only have one dog that big. Most of mine are around 3o kgs. As for getting them upset...be almost impossible mate. The whole concept of pig dogs is to have them determined but manageable. You can'

Posted Images

G'day again,

A question for the admin or moderators...I have a video I'd like to post of one of our dogs Betty on a little boar. The vid shows the dog holding the boar while it tries to hook her, son Paul rolling and sticking the boar. The stick is very clean, one stroke and the boar is gone but there is a bit of blood. I don't want to post it without the mods seeing it in case it is a drama on your site. I could send the link in a private message if required for approaval. Is that the right approach? Happy to post the vid but just don't want to step on toes unnecessarily...

Cheers.

Edited by Ned Makim

The mods have spoken and they are happy to air the vid unless the shit hits the fan. If it upsets people they will take it off and that's fine with me. I'm a guest in their house...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8ui0NRSlAI

This is Betty on a little Gulf of Carpentaria boar. He didn't have all that much fight in him so he was a good one for the aging Betty ha ha. Betty is eight going on nine. Paul does the sticking and gets a good clean hit. Pig was in the 50kg dressed range but looks a bit less thanks to Paul's frame. Betty had lost her temper because of a poke she received in the shoulder and refused to leg go. Paul waves the knife at her, suggesting he will tap her on the nose with hte back of the blade if she comes in again. They are supposed to let go on command but they can lose their temper if they get ripped. We'd rather have them do that than go to powder as you come in. And re tapping her on the nose, I mean tap, not bash. It's about redirecting their focus not hurting the dog. So if you are by yourself and have to get the dog off the pig, you might tap her twice so she looks at you and will then listen to you. Betty is about 36kgs which is big for our dogs. And she is by our Russell out of Cathy so she is actually a straight line old Butters blood dog, not a Makim dog.

Cheers.

PS Betty has never been a dog to work a pig. She just grabs them and takes whatever comes. Surprisingly few injuries of any consequence in her career for some reason. Found and grabbed her first boar at seven months one out.

Edited by Ned Makim

The other bloke in the vid is Brett who is the bloke holding the bull's legs in the other video. You hear me say 'she will be hard to pull up' referring to the fact she has been poked and will be full on about it. Paul also says 'we know' to Betty at one stage. She doesn't know what we're saying of course but he is saying he knows she's got a little hole in her and will be furious about it. Most of our dogs seem to take it as some sort of insult if the pig cuts them, despite the protective gear. We're all about respect over here, even the dogs ha ha.

So, what do you think?

Cheers.

And thanks bagzi. I think all hunting is real hunting if there are ethics involved. We are just sort of minimalist in some respects that's all. You don't need more than a knife to kill a boar with a dog attached if you are willing to put your hands on the pig. This boar was not a good fighter, just turn and hit, turn and hit. Good fighter boars look more like a rodeo bull than this and it's a much more serious affair, mostly not videoed because you have to go forward fast to lessen the chance of injury to the dog.

Edited by Ned Makim

Yeah, a big, proper fighting pig is a startling thing and I am definitely windy of them but the dog is already on and risking itself so you can't think about it you just have to go forward and think where you put your feet so you don't end up under the pig. The dog is doing the real work, you just have to have back it up. Not backing up a courageous dog is a sin that can cause the dog to be hurt and then big trouble between the men, big trouble...

And the no shoes, we'd been in a boat on a lagoon and Paul had his shoes off so he didn't sink if a croc hit us. Betty gets out of boat and grabs boar and so Paul just went too. Brett pulled his boots on with no socks. Betty is Paul's first dog from me as a teenager and he will back her up no question so shoes were not a priuority.

Cheers.

Edited by Ned Makim

Hi Guys.

Loving your posts Ned.

I lived in South Gippsland Victoria for a couple of years and you blokes have just absolutely no idea how lucky those australians are when it comes to hunting.

Millons of acres of Crown land which anyone can hunt. Every kind of derr you can imagine including the mighty Sambar. Wild dogs which need controlling Donkeys ,camelsand horses which are classed as vermin and as many foxes as anyone could want.

I had a friend who took me one time to see if we could get a pig because he knew how much I wanted to say that I had done it.

We headed off on a 12 hour drive(thought nothing of out there) and camped up for the night on the banks of the Murrimbidgie. We got up the next morning and this place was just a dream.Huge stands of hardwoods just at the edge of the river.

This place belonged to the uncle of my friend and was 5500acres which just more or less gave them a living. Some sheep and wheat. If they got rain then they could have good years but mostly it was just enough.

Our plan was to spotlight these pigs and use the 223 but they had seem lights before so all we saw was pigs arses heading off at a huge rate of knots. On our last night we were moving to the shearers quarters so had just thrown the air beds onto the roof which I was holding when right in front of us was a small bunch of pigs.Couldn't get the rifles in time and we lost them. later we met two guys in the pub who had been on the same property the day before and had two pigs with their dogs. If we had known you were here you could have come out with us didn't go down well when we were heading home next day. Unfortunately that was my pig hunting experience.

I looked where you are Ned and see we had been close one time when we were heading up to the sunshine coast. I think it was Orange maybe that we were going through when I saw a couple of guys loading some pigs into a chiller. Brakes full on andhave a chat. I asked what they shot them with and they just looked at me a bit funny and said,"you don't shoot them, Dogs and knife mate".

I worked with a guy who had done the Scrub bull thing during his summer holidays. He said their way was to use a truck with a hydraulic arm on it. They chased them down then grabbed hold of them with this arm then roped them and they were then picked up for live sale.

Goats are caught in pens and sent away live as well.

I had a mate out there who was a serious hunter and one of the best guys I have ever met. He took me out after Sambar and Fallow. Enough sh-t for one posting though. I will see if I can get some pics up.

If you want hunting of every kind without too many tree huggers, get yourself over there.

The mods have spoken and they are happy to air the vid unless the shit hits the fan. If it upsets people they will take it off and that's fine with me. I'm a guest in their house...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8ui0NRSlAI

This is Betty on a little Gulf of Carpentaria boar. He didn't have all that much fight in him so he was a good one for the aging Betty ha ha. Betty is eight going on nine. Paul does the sticking and gets a good clean hit. Pig was in the 50kg dressed range but looks a bit less thanks to Paul's frame. Betty had lost her temper because of a poke she received in the shoulder and refused to leg go. Paul waves the knife at her, suggesting he will tap her on the nose with hte back of the blade if she comes in again. They are supposed to let go on command but they can lose their temper if they get ripped. We'd rather have them do that than go to powder as you come in. And re tapping her on the nose, I mean tap, not bash. It's about redirecting their focus not hurting the dog. So if you are by yourself and have to get the dog off the pig, you might tap her twice so she looks at you and will then listen to you. Betty is about 36kgs which is big for our dogs. And she is by our Russell out of Cathy so she is actually a straight line old Butters blood dog, not a Makim dog.

Cheers.

PS Betty has never been a dog to work a pig. She just grabs them and takes whatever comes. Surprisingly few injuries of any consequence in her career for some reason. Found and grabbed her first boar at seven months one out.

Excellent Ned ,great clip just wondering whats the makeup of your dog and what size and weigth is she?

again great post and welldone :notworthy:

Edited by hollands hope

G'day, I've just gone back and adjusted the codes for the youtube stuff so you can see it within this thread rather than opening another screen.

Betty is a butters blood dog which means she goes back to Eng bully, wolfh, Eng mastiff and dane. That's what in them but of course they were bred down down in size to suit our needs. I bred Betty. She's 36 kgs working and I don't know how tall. Both the blokes in the vid are 6 ft 3 so if that helps. I don't get into a lot of the detail other breeders do because I don't care. If the dog does the job it doesn't matter to me wheether or not it's this height or that. Likewise if they don't do the jonb. Betty is a very tough bitch though, let me tell you.

Actually I got mocked on another thread about stopping dogs fighting. The bloke laughed at my suggestions, indicating he didn't think I knew anything about anything much. I left them to it biut thesee are not theoretical tough dogs, pulling weights and hanging off bits of rope. These things risk their lives every boar they grab and some of the punishment they take is unbelieveable. These things are tested every time they go out. It's a life and death game. Frustrates me when clowns with limited experience of the world reject ideas from outside their 100 sq metre radius.

Anyway, bit of a spit there...

Beef, I've never heard of the bionic arm being used on scrub bulls although you're probably right. They definitely use it on the buffalo which are bigger and can bash the scrub bulls.

Cheers.

Edited by Ned Makim

Only just found this bloody fantastic thread: no jealousy from this hunter: (and that is just what the negative comments are: plain jealousy from wannabees) just wish I was over there doing it with you: well, bit too old for some of the stuff, but the dogs are awesome when you consider the size of the big boars to that of the dogs. And something else; if some of the so called hunters over here had as much respect for their dogs as you obviously do then the UK would be a better place for dogs.

Not saying there aren't plenty of decent dog men and woman about, its just that THL seems to attract the lame brains, or so it seems at times.

Fascinating to see that Dane Deerhound cross: are those dogs bailers or holders?

Keep it coming!

nice bit of film there ned :thumbs:

keep it up bud,you should make a film(alot of the stuff about over here from lurchers,terriers,air rifles,lamping etc) i've yet to see dvd with that kind of thing though.( if you make a fortune you can pay for my ticket :tongue2: ).

once again i say the best thread on thl :toast::toast::toast:

yis,

waidmann.