Boars in Oz

Very kind of you to say. The part I write as a column just on my thoughts is tagged as The View From Camp. I have some guests write as well and I am trying to keep it reasonably intelligent. We get a caning in Oz from people who hate hunting and rather than call them names (ha ha) there are a few blokes who are attempting to elevate the debate and focus on the deeper aspects of the lifestyle.

The fight is on here at the moment and we are up for it.

Cheers.

Ned, given the farce that is the hunting laws in this country mate, every and anthing that starts to emerge in oZ with regards to controling and or even baning hunting, hit it with everything youve got, no matter how small or irrelevant an issue it may seem to you at the time, the old saying of" you dont need a sledgehammer to crack a nut", well, in these instances mate, trust me when i tell you.you absolutely do.

We in this country i dont think spotted the hazzard or warning signs soon enough, and behind closed doors the anti hunt brigade started to gain momentum and they snowballed, by the time we, your avaerage easy going, tolerant hunting sorts cottened on, it was to f****n late, rallies, petitions etc were to no avail, the politicicans saw the brownie points available to their party and we got stuffed.

So value what you have ned, cherish it, and hammer any b*****d that tries to interfere with it, i wish i had done so years ago, and i bet i'm not the only one if truth were told.

With kind regards

B

• Like 2

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

(I'll just make the point again that we don't stand around taking photos of dogs on pigs. The photos are the best of hundreds that are shot on the run in to grab the pig. To stand around risks injury

The APDHA (Australian Pig Doggers and Hunters Association) had its annual general meeting withiun striking range of my place at the weekend and one of my mates (Steve) from had driven 14 hours to the

I'd only have one dog that big. Most of mine are around 3o kgs. As for getting them upset...be almost impossible mate. The whole concept of pig dogs is to have them determined but manageable. You can'

Posted Images

Got to agree with Bootsha here, do your best to nip it in the bud before lunatic city born bunny huggers rule over the decent country folk who take care of the countryside. We lost our battle, despite massive protests which most of us were involved in at the time. We should have been more prepared. Now we are ducking and dodging at every turn. And made to feel like criminals when doing an honest job in a countryside we love and respect. :cray:

Good luck all you Ozzy hunters.

DnN

• Like 1

Okay. Back to the hunting.

This is the block I have been hunting lately. It's a ripper. About 16,000 acres of improved high country. There are plenty of pigs and fallow deer and patches of wild goats. I'm focussed on the pigs but I am regularly tempted to grab a rifle and take after some of the other game.

zyv.JPG

These are called grass trees. In places up in the higher country there are hundreds.

wpdn.jpg

And here's the first decent boar I caught. (I'm mostly by myself when I hunt so the photos are mostly just the animals...)

vrlf.jpg

Edited by Ned Makim

This a wild dog that wouldn't trap. He was within mm of the plate but seemed ultra casual about avoiding it. By the build and style of him he is the main man for that area and in his prime. It's proper mountain country and very wild so he would be from hundreds of generations of wild and a clever customer.

jxww.jpgjxww.jpg

The trap is right in front of him and well camo'd.

pq1j.jpg

Edited by Ned Makim

Barney is going like a house on fire. Still working and catching good pigs. We actually have a litter of pups due by him on July 5. Roger unfortunately was killed last year. He had been going really well but ran into the wrong boar on the wrong day. I have his sister Suzie with me now courtesy of son Paul.

I'm working her with Mary, Dave ( a son of Bob) and a pup by Dave called Alice.

Bob's gone too. He died at home of causes unknown and I still miss him.

Cheers.

Re the wild dogs...there are dingoes which have been here for about 5000 years and domestic dogs gone wild and hybrids of the two. After a while they all look like dingoes which come from Asiatic wolves originally.

Cheers.

Edited by Ned Makim
  • Like 1

Re the wild dogs...there are dingoes which have been here for about 5000 years and domestic dogs gone wild and hybrids of the two. After a while they all look like dingoes which come from Asiatic wolves originally.

Cheers.

I watched a program not long ago which was talking about a dingo fence same as the rabbit fence do you hunt outside of this or with the fenced off area for Dingos??

I am well inside the dog fence. There were always dogs inside the fence but they were contained to pockets of wild country. In general terms people became complacent or moved out of sheep and wool production and regular control measures slowed or ceased and the dogs have bred and are breaking out of their wild haunts.

Cheers.

• Like 1