Boars in Oz

WOW! i just read this entire thread, you lot "down under" have it made! im not just a little bit jealous but a whole bloody lot! your pig running looks amazing! :notworthy: and the dogs look fantastic, are they purley for hunting or are they part of the family too!? im also sorry to hear about the loss of the dogs! but one last question i've not seen or over looked on here, what are your dogs protection made from!? and is it put on like a harness over there heads!?

cheers

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

(I'll just make the point again that we don't stand around taking photos of dogs on pigs. The photos are the best of hundreds that are shot on the run in to grab the pig. To stand around risks injury

The APDHA (Australian Pig Doggers and Hunters Association) had its annual general meeting withiun striking range of my place at the weekend and one of my mates (Steve) from had driven 14 hours to the

I'd only have one dog that big. Most of mine are around 3o kgs. As for getting them upset...be almost impossible mate. The whole concept of pig dogs is to have them determined but manageable. You can'

Posted Images

The dogs are very much a part of the family...

Tha 'plates' (breastplates) that our family use are commercially made for hunters from shadecloth. About seven layers are stitched together to make a light protective cover that is tough for a boar to penetrate. They are lifted up from under the dog's brisket and straped over the back of the neck and the dog's back. Other plates in Oz are made from lift strap, seatbelt material, some conveyor belt type stuff and leather. It's about stopping tusks but the dog might also have to run a km or two in it to get the pig so they have to be light and quick cooling as overheating kills more dogs than pigs out here.

Cheers and thanks again everyone for your interest. I am almost startled at the level of readership...

Re sticking the pigs it's either/or... sticking them in the throat is how you do it for the human consumption market and Paul is in that habit. You can stick them in the heart if you are just pest control/dog fooding them.

Re fox dogs, most foxes are shot in our area but in Victoria and southern NSW blokes use stags and roo dogs to catch them.

Cheers.

It's illegal to chase roos with dogs. But in the old days it was done and yes roos can kill a dog very quickly. If they were chased into a dam they stand up and wait for the dogs to swim to them then hold the dog under the water until it drowns. A big buck roo could also open a dog up with a kick, properly open a dog up.

Roo dogs are a remnant from early settlement and look like a smooth stag.

But as I said chasing them with dogs is illegal because all Oz native animals are protected by law. Roos can be shot under licence though but it is very strict...

Cheers.

Hello ned

Love the thread and would love to hear some of your tips on training headstrong dogs and how to 'break' this. I keep a few GWP's and the dogs are notoriusly hard headed, once sorted they are a dream but i'd be interested to hear your techniques about making all decisions for them and the long lead?

Thanks for a great thread.

Hurlock

i would think a roo could do some damage to a dog too? do they put up a fight when caught?

I'm sure I read somewhere just before Christmas that a farmer was nearly disembowelled by a Roo that was trying to drown his dog in a dam near Victoria. He said he only escaped due to the water being shallow and the Roo kicking him away. Maybe Ned could confirm this?

I'll lift some stuff from my blog about long lead training as soon as I have another moment.

Also slightly off topic...are any of you involved in book publishing. I have a few draft chapters done on things I've seen and done and my family says it should be a book (like all families...ha ha). Don't know how that all happens. Any advice?

Cheers.

Re the bloke being hurt by a roo. That makes news elsewhere but here in the bush it's not really considered news. It's just stuff that happens. The story as you suggested sounds authentic. In my youth when I had less control of dogs I have had encounters with bailed or held roos. A big roos arms are as thick and muscular as a big man. They are nice looking and stuff but I had one dog pounce on a resting roo which stood up taller than me (I am 5 foot 10 or so). It lifted the dog (a big stag type) off the ground by the collar, leant back on its tail and kicked with it's legs. The one thick, pointed nail on the roo's foot caught the dog under the front leg (armpit...) and the leg flapped back like you might butcher a sheep. Very quick and startling devellopment. I was about 20 and a wise old Uncle with me sent me off to get some stuff from the truck. He knew the dog was gone and was saving me from that last gasp.

They are not to be underestimated.

Cheers.