Doe in the snow

I was out first thing the other morning mooching in the snow.I was stalking along the edge of a wood when suddenly a roe doe appeared approx 120 yards in front of me. I got my rifle on the sticks and watched her for a few seconds , she then stood in a perfect broadside position , I steadied myself and went for the boiler room shot.

She immediately kicked out and disappeared into the wood. I was confident of a good hit. On inspecting the scene I saw a few drops of blood and lung . I then proceeded to follow the blood trail which consisted of sprayed blood consistent with a shot in the lungs. I eventually found the doe after trailing for a good 100 yards , she had expired after crashing into a tree ....

toms008.jpg

The joys of hunting in the snow.........

toms006.jpg

Edited by FOXHUNTER

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not dissing you mate but when you here public saying that doging deer is rong its not because when dog gets deer its dead and cant move any where but like your shot it joged on and died a slow pain full deth so i think the old doging methord is better . atb any way mate

When a deern runs on a shot like this it is a reflex reaction like a headless chicken and a lung/heart shot is best practice.........AND A LEGAL METHOD.

Dogs are not and the chase stresses the beast more and may ruin the meat (in relation to flavour).

I come across far more wounded by dogs deer then will ever see wounded by large calibre deer rifles.

I dont want to enter into a row over dogs here, I use one to trail wounded deer. But a coment like yours stag on a stalking topic is out of order and usualy comes from someone acting outside the law.

Edited by john robbo

not dissing you mate but when you here public saying that doging deer is rong its not because when dog gets deer its dead and cant move any where but like your shot it joged on and died a slow pain full deth so i think the old doging methord is better . atb any way mate

Not getting at you mate :whistling: but when you shoot a beast Heart/Lung shot as you are meant to do 9 times out of 10 it will stagger or run on as the Adrenalin pumps to its heart, not a slow death its "already dead" and dont want to get at dog guy's, but been out and seen yearling Roe Deer run until they cannie run anymore more, and did not die a very good death :no: but hey Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year for 2010 :thumbs:

same to you aswell mate happy xmas like i say iam tryin to trigger of a debate but every one to there own i like me dogs but would still jump at the chance to get out stalking one morning as long as its pest control ill be game for out