dog eating chocolate

Guest pete evans

my lurcher ate a fairly large amount of assorted milk chocolate tonight while i was out. my wife took the dog to the vets where they tried to make it vomit with no success. the dog has been given charcoal powder and is due to have more later.

has anyone else had a similar expieriance? how did it go? dog seems ok and its 4 hours since she ate it.

pete

I hope the dog is OK Pete, I for sure didn't know about the dangers of muts and chocolate when I first got my dog. It was forums like these that taught me quite alot about the do's n don'ts.

Choccy, onion, potatoe, salt, too much liver and running the dog on concrete, are all DONT's that I learnt about.

my lurcher ate a fairly large amount of assorted milk chocolate tonight while i was out. my wife took the dog to the vets where they tried to make it vomit with no success. the dog has been given charcoal powder and is due to have more later.

has anyone else had a similar expieriance? how did it go? dog seems ok and its 4 hours since she ate it.

pete

Mates stafford ate one and a half easter eggs, same as the above, vet tried everything. No avail, just kept an eye and it had the serious shites. That was it, although i know chocolate is very dangerous, he got away lightly.

Personaly I would not let my dogs eat any chocolate but milk chocolate is not so bad for them it is plain chocolate that has more toxins in it. Some shooting men give their dogs a mars bar mid day to give them an enerjy boost!!

Dave

Guest CharlieC

choclate contains a chemical called theobromine, very toxic to dogs indeed. :(

Although dogs may recover from a chocolate poisoning, some have lasting damage and require serious aftercare :(

Its also worth bearing in mind that cocoa shell garden mulches are very toxic to dogs, so if your planning on doing a bit of garden DIY this summer, steer well clear and stick with wood chips - far safer :good:

Heres some further info if anyones interested :

Types of Chocolate and their theobromine content

Below are listed the sources of theobromine commonly implicated in poisoning incidents as reported to the Veterinary Poisons information Service.

Source Theobromine content per g of product

White chocolate..................0.009 mg

Drinking chocolate (dry)........0.5 mg

Milk chocolate.....................1.5-2.2 mg

Plain chocolate....................4.5-16 mg

Cocoa powder.....................5.3-26 mg

Cocoa beans.......................11-43 mg

Cocoa shell/bean mulches......14-30 mg

Toxicity

Fatal doses of theobromine for dogs are suggested as ranging from 90-250 mg/kg though some sources report 100-500mg/kg, this suggests that there is considerable individual variation in what represents a fatal dose. But deaths have certainly been reported at the lower end of the range. Also while a dog may survive a higher dose it will probably have been seriously ill and required significant supportive care and treatment.

The LD50 is quoted as 100-300 mg/kg body weight. This is the dose that will kill 50% of the dogs eating it.

12 mg/kg causes no visible ill effects.

Fatal cases usually result from the dogs eating cocoa powder or cocoa shell/bean mulches.

Guest chilli

rather them than me f****n horrible stuff :sick: :sick: :sick: i still remember being forced to eat liver an onions an not being able to leave the table till id finished :sick: :sick: reckon it damaged be pyschologicaly :blink:

Guest reload

Theres a old timer round myway who eats rabbit liver fresh when out for a day sports :sick: :sick:

I rekon its top stuff in small quantitys for the dogs.

But cat's can get addicted to it...seriously :blink: