Full metal jackets

Picture023.jpg

As thread says ,ive been given 50 f.m.j's in 243 and im dubious as to whether they will go through my tikka t3 as they appear to be brass coated?Curious really .

Obviously military so no questions as to origin please.What twist are military rifles in 243 .Anyone? .

The bullet on the right looks like a HORNADY 80 grain FMJ, I use them all the time for 600 meter target work, at 3100FPS they will group sub 0.5MOA in light winds. if you swap for a Lapua 90grain Scenar at 3200Fps they work well all the way out to 1400 yards, and are far more accurate than a 308 at a 1000 Yards, the 243 retains greater energy than a 308 at long ranges, and will also massively over penetrate without dropping a deer, just like the 6.5mm rounds, MY ADVICE IS PULL THEM APART, DITCH THE POWDER AND PRIMER, CHECK THE CASE AND BULLET AND RELOAD THEM IF THEY ARE OK, OTHERWISE JUST BIN THEM, OR HAND THEM INTO A DEALER FOR DISPOSAL, NEVER TRUST OTHER PEOPLES RELOADS, THATS HOW YOU BLOW A GUN UP.

Nice one mate .I reckon you have cracked it.They were in a white box which got wet and broke up .Might try them when the wins run out .

If the primers have "np" on them, they will be Norma factory loads, so should be OK.

Yes mate they have NP joined together

Thanks all for your input .

• 4 weeks later...

as for the us using 6mm next , iv seen some bumf that they are now looking at 6.8mm with 130-40 grain heads , the battle field has changed so munitions will have to too , they revaluate all new wildcat rounds every year to see whats new . 50-60 grain fmj appears to be poor against mud hut ! 12 bore slug = much better !!

not sure of the use of expanding ammo in afganistan seeing as as they arnt a regular fighting force , if the enemy is classed as a terrorist ogganisation then the geneaver convention dosn't apply , so expanding ammo may be used . and sure it has been in london to cut down on over penatration in crowded areas ,

Been asked this a few times too, but there it is on the right !

Apparently they are amour piercing rounds but not confirmed

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sorry that really made me giggle! For an ex para he seems to be full of shite musta forgot to open his parachute and landed on his head if he's been telling that rubbish to you :doh:

Armour piercing rounds have a silver coloured tip (not a soft lead silver tip)

FMJ's are available in many calibres for target shooting or as mentioned for minimising damage to pelts for fur shooters.

not sure of the use of expanding ammo in afganistan seeing as as they arnt a regular fighting force , if the enemy is classed as a terrorist ogganisation then the geneaver convention dosn't apply , so expanding ammo may be used . and sure it has been in london to cut down on over penatration in crowded areas ,

I once had a box of Norma .357 magnums that had soft hollow-point bullets. They were marked 'Special For Police'.I was never sure whether were meant for shooting AT or BY police.

Sounds like they were for use BY police.