Full metal jackets

Picture023.jpg

As thread says ,ive been given 50 f.m.j's in 243 and im dubious as to whether they will go through my tikka t3 as they appear to be brass coated?Curious really .

Obviously military so no questions as to origin please.What twist are military rifles in 243 .Anyone? .

since when did the military use .243 ? :whistling:

answer it never has .it was developed from the .257 roberts ..primaralt as a varmint round ..as fmjs arnt classed as expandind ammo they cant be used on deer in the uk... fmjs if,you were to use them it would be to reduce damage to the pelt.

Edited by riohog

Been asked this a few times too, but there it is on the right !

Apparently they are amour piercing rounds but not confirmed

.243 fmjs are available but .....not for military use ;)

Well ,dont wish to critisise anyone but these are through an ex para and he used them in the forces .So can i use or not .lol.

You may have got them from a 'Para', but who was he attached to?

Special forces, I have always understood, can choose their own weapons. He may have done some sporting rifle shooting outside and chose to use a 6mm.

It doesn't look like it would pierce armour, from the picture.

Put a micrometer on all the dimensions before you put it in yur rifle!

Edited by rjimmer

I'm still as confused as when we spoke earlier today. As I said, .243 is certainly not a mainstream military calibre!!

Does the round have the circle with a cross inside it stamped on the rim of the cartridge case?

I will be fascinated to see how this story unfolds!! :thumbs::thumbs:

ATB!

as ex services myself i cannot see anyone(special forces or not) choosing a caliber he cannot replenish in the battle field.

he may have them from a demonstration or the like.

if this round were armour piercing it would be colour coded( red tracer,blue training,etc).

is this ammo .243( on the bottom of the case)?

i would not know what twist the mil use,it was never relevant to training as far as i can remember anyway :icon_redface:

before trying them i would get the dimensions and charge checked.

atb

p.s. they should be coated in "tombak"

Edited by waidmann

Been doing some digging and found this....

6.16x51mm (.243 Win.)

The .243 is a popular hunting cartridge for deer sized game and it fires the 6mm bullet. It is a bit heavier than the .223 and has some good bullets for long range shooting available, but there are not many match grade loads available from factory ammo makers. It does fall between the .223 and the .308 in terms of energy and penetration. The .243 has less recoil than the .308, and yet it sends bullets down range at near .223 speeds, with twice the bullet weight. This flat shooting cartridge does not suffer from some of the over penetration problems of the .308 and it doesn't suffer from some of the under penetration problems of the .223. In reality, this round is very suitable for the Law Enforcement arena. While there is no commercial match grade ammo for the .243, there are quite a few premium quality loads out there and HSM is working on some match loads for the .243. The .243 has never been used in any military rifle, but it would lend itself well to the 600+ meter sniping role. It does need to be mentioned that there are some extremely high BC bullets available in 6mm, of which the Sierra 107gr Match King is one of them as is the famous 115gr DTAC that David Tubbs uses. But anthing over 100gr typically requires a fast twist barrel that is not standard on factory .243 rifles.

Recommendation: The .243 would be an excellent Law Enforcement sharpshooter caliber. It provides good energy and good trajectory with some mid weight bullets. There are not the same over penetration concerns in the military (At least not generally) so really there isn't any Military use for the .243, anything the .243 can do, the .308 can do also with a bit heavier bullet. But with some of the new .243 match loads that are coming out, it could make a very good mid range sniper rifle.

Ballistics:

Military Applications

Note: There currently are no loads that can be used in the military so Military application for the .243 is limited. But I have provided a suitable longer ranged round that would make a nice 600+ meter sniping round. The selected bullet is a Soft Point, which is illegal to use in combat but I will update this information once some of the new HSM match loads become available.

It was on an American site so who knows, but I think we all know by now that what you have is a bit unusual to say the least! :thumbs:

Probably these are reloads concocted in someone's shed!

I load fmj's for my .270 and my 22-250 simply to use them for plinking, as the bullets only cost 10 or 12p

each as opposed to the Nosler/Vmax at around 40p a pop!

If I were you I'd bin the lot, you have no idea what 'muppettry' has gone on inside those cases.

Also most 'Para's' have not the faintest idea about guns, calibres, bullet weights etc and couldn't spell it correctly anyway, they just shout loudly and then do what someone else tells them to do, so I wouldn't take their 'advice' to seriously.

AF

.243, .244 H&H, .241,.242. .240 Weatherby, 6mm br, 6mmppc and 6x55 mil spec are all the same calibre. That is , they all fire the same diameter bullets. Chamberings vary widely but they are the same calibre. In the 1920s a lot of countries adopted 6mm rounds as their military calibre. The American Navy stayed with the 6mm Lee well after the Army adopted the 30-06. The Japanese forces only dropped the Arisaka 6mm in 1937, when they decided to adopt the British .303 as their main calibre, to be called the 7.7x57. Given that .243" is simply the external diameter of the bullets used in all 6mm chamberings I suspect that FMJ .243 bullets are lurking about all over the oche.

Ric