.177 pellets

now then

this has probably been covered before..........but...........

What is the best pellet to use for a .177 air rifle??

at the minute i use field target trophy but was out yesterday got 2 squirrels & a pheasent

but the pellet on all occasions hit & went straight through the animals.

It didn't kill them instantly & they seemed to be flopping about in pain............the pheasent stopped once i cracked its neck (i hit it right behind the eye)

Which pellet will spread on impact? i only shoot rabbits, pigeon etc

i was looking at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bisley-Pest-Control-HOLLOW-POINT-177-Pellets-x-500_W0QQitemZ160361443343QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET?hash=item255649700f

Any good????

Cheers for the help

Elliott

As above.

This goes round in circles, the .177 performs best being fast and flat(ish), that needs a fairly light pellet. Problem then can be over penitration and not imparting enough energy into the quarry.

The .22 is slower but carries its energy well, seldom suffers over penetration and tends to impart all its energy into quarry, but is does not fly as flat as the .177.

The .20 was introduced some time ago now to hopefully solve the problems of both, it doesn't.

So your best bet is probably to get a heavier .177 pellet, or buy a .22 as well!! :thumbs: