advice needed pump or bottle??????

Hi donnyman,

First may I just say you have my sympathy, living in Donny as you do :tongue2:

Only joking, I'm having a really bad day :thumbdown: got up at 07:00 to go shooting for the full day and the weather looked sorted for it :cool: Then I wound up tending to my grandaughter (who stayed with us last night) till the wife got out of bed, by which time I'd made her coffee, I then opened the post to find some bad news, then the wife wanted me to go to the shops with her, wich I dutifully did, when the girl asked for payment I realised I'd left my fecking wallet at home, went home, got wallet, back to shop to pay, get home have dinner and now its looking like rain :censored: :censored: :censored:

As regards the pump versus bottle.

I use my pump, people say its a load of agro but I have not found this to be the case. I fill my baby up to 180 bar and it don't take too much effort to do.

As regards a bottle, they aint cheap enough for me to afford at the moment, but they are a breeze to use. Taking seconds rather than 5 minutes to fill to what ever capacity you desire.

If you have the brass for the complete dive bottl kit, then they are well worth the money as long as you don't mind lugging it about for a full day shooting.

They also cost a bit in upkeep every few years they need inspecting, testing and certifying for safety.

But whatever you choose to use, have fun and hunt safe :thumbs:

Phantom

Edited by Phantom

As Phantom said the pumps are easy enough to use but the bottles are a whole lot less hassel. I picked up a 3ltr bottle inluding guage and hose for £129 posted (new)!

If you are intending going out hunting you can easily pop the bottle in the car and then refill at some point! Remember you'll get a fair few shots from one fill. :icon_eek:

Happy hunting, Andy

Hi Donny,

Both are good ways to fill up a PCP.

I sold my cyclinder and now use a FX satge 4 pump with the gear system.

I filled up my HW100KT at about 0300 hrs this morning in front of the lads that i was shooting with and it took no longer than 1 minute from start to finish.

A normal bog standard PCP pump nothing fancy will fill a Ultra in about 1 to 2 minutes i reckon.

The best person I know to ask on here is Reggaeman as he has a Ultra and S510 and uses a pump to fill them both.

A cylinder needs testing every 5 years which costs £34's. Also a cylinder obviously needs recharging and depending where your local diving / gun shop with compressor is it can be a pain.

Zini.

Edited by zini

Hi Donny.

Im after an Ultra too :thumbs:

I will defo be going the pump route, less hassle, and keeps you fit :D

From what I have read from other Ultra owners the sweet spot is at 190bar returning 35 accurate shots.

Most are going for the Tench reg which improves shot count and consistancy.

Cost of the tune is about £120 I think.

ATB

Hi Donny,

I have an Ultra and a normal pump. As a guide, it works out about 1 stroke per pellet (plus a little extra) So, if I shoot 30 pellets, it takes about 35 strokes on the pump to top up my gun. Its MUCH, MUCH easier to top up your gun frequently rather than running it really low. And always top up your gun before putting it away.

Phantoms bang on about cost & convenience. In hindsight though, I would've took the £100ish quid my pump cost me and put it towards one of those 3 litre bottles as Andyz did.

Although the bottle needs testing every 5 years, I get the impression that the pump will need a fairly substantial overhaul in about 5 years anyway... so running costs are similar.

All in all, both are good ways to fill your gun. The only thing I would say is you need to be fairly able bodied to use the pump, it wouldn't suit some people. The Ultra is perfect to use the pump on too.

Hope this helps,

John

I used a pump when I first started with pcp's and the pumps were hard work and I whent through 3 pumps in 12 month so I got a bottle lot less hastle cost £100 from my local diving place £2.50 to fill it and £25 to test it every 5 year and its rare that if they have been used for filling up air rifles that they fail the test and I had to buy the regulator £50 of the net so £150 and £25 every 5 years dont think its that bad realy the pumps nearly cost that anyways.

I used a pump when I first started with pcp's and the pumps were hard work and I whent through 3 pumps in 12 month so I got a bottle lot less hastle cost £100 from my local diving place £2.50 to fill it and £25 to test it every 5 year and its rare that if they have been used for filling up air rifles that they fail the test and I had to buy the regulator £50 of the net so £150 and £25 every 5 years dont think its that bad realy the pumps nearly cost that anyways.

[/ thanks all much appreciated