Training to a whistle!

I have a two year old terrier, which is used mainly for bushing. I have used my own whistle (two fingers in the mouth) for recall and it works well except in dense cover! I'm now going to change to a 210 1/2 whistle, any tips on how to train for this or do I need to start recall oll over again?

its simple mate, if the dog recalls already, just simply call the dog, then whistle your whistle.lots of fuss when the dog comes back, make sure you only blow the whistle if you are sure you will have some success, gradually faze out the voice call and blow your whistle...i ca assure you it will work, remember the key points though. 1. don't blow if you are not 100% the dog will come back.

2. Don't use the whistle too much as the dog may become deaf to it.

both of them points go together really.

Good luck

I have a two year old terrier, which is used mainly for bushing. I have used my own whistle (two fingers in the mouth) for recall and it works well except in dense cover!

Are you saying it doesn't work well in cover because it can't hear you ?

Because if not why do you think a different whistle will make it respond? If it's ignoring one whistle it'll ignore every whistle less you sort it out.

Thanks for the replys, I can't wistle loud and consistantly and in the dense cover it's me letting the dog down. If he is ignoring comands for recall how do I go about that, recall is as good as I would hope for, it's just in cover he plays up.

A whistle does give consistant sounds, that why most of us use them.

As you say, he knows the recall command so he's just taking the p1ss in the bushes. You now have 2 choices

1. Don't give the command in cover (your just reinforcing a negative)

2. Get in the cover after him & show him he can't get away with it. I know this is a pain but you MUST do it everytime he ignores you. He'll soon get the idea :clapper:

A whistle does give consistant sounds, that why most of us use them.

As you say, he knows the recall command so he's just taking the p1ss in the bushes. You now have 2 choices

1. Don't give the command in cover (your just reinforcing a negative)

2. Get in the cover after him & show him he can't get away with it. I know this is a pain but you MUST do it everytime he ignores you. He'll soon get the idea :clapper:

great advice butcher boy!

i am attempting to train a springer and have had the same problem. i used to mouth whistle to her and she was good as gold till we entered any cover. i went to a lessson and was given some good advise.

1. the mouth whistle can give many diffferent tones so the dog becomes confussed. a 211 1/2 whistle gives the same tone however blown.

2. go back to basics use a check lead(long lead) give the return call, when he is returning blow the whisle.

3. then praise for returning

i am attempting to train a springer and have had the same problem. i used to mouth whistle to her and she was good as gold till we entered any cover. i went to a lessson and was given some good advise.

1. the mouth whistle can give many diffferent tones so the dog becomes confussed. a 211 1/2 whistle gives the same tone however blown.

2. go back to basics use a check lead(long lead) give the return call, when he is returning blow the whisle.

3. then praise for returning

Check lead & cover............. never a great mix

I am training my first gundog at the minute, a 18month cocker bitch. I've got her sitting and staying now, walking at heel on and off the lead and working on the recall whistle which is coming along really well. I started by calling her then using my whistle and then making a massive fuss of her on her return then have progressed to just using the whistle which she now looks to me and either comes or I now just tap my knees and she comes. But I'm unsure how to teach her the stop whistle as she is really clinggy! Any advice? I have the Simon Tyers Cocker Training DVD on my Xmas list so hoping that'll help but any advice off you guys?