Very Long Range Rabbit Gun

I am currently looking for a very long range rabbit, vermin/ medium range Fox gun, and have narrowed down my choices to:

1. .22 Hornet

2. .17 Ackley Hornet.

Why, well taking the reloading route, you can get 1500 rounds of ammo from 1kg of powder...

Heads can be obtained (subject to trial for 11p)

Primers cheep enough any way.

So I reckon its not that much more expensive than .17 hmr, which is not on my list for this task.

Chances are this gun would evolve in to a custom gun, as it is going to need exceptional accuracy for the task in mind. So a staged build is in order.

I will be reloading, as I have access to all the required equipment,except dies and consumables.

I have bigger guns, and use .243 for fox, so dont need a .223, 22-250, .204 etc.

But my questions are as follows to those of you that have this calibre?

1. How accurate can I get it, given I am prepared to work at it?

2. What the best action to wok with?? CZ? (have seen a complete 527 rifle for £150.

3. What is the bullet trajectory like between 50 and 250 yds?

4. Is there anything else to consider, given my criteria and the fact I can load for 0.20p.

Can we have a constructive discussion please??

Cheers Matty

Edited by mattydski
  • Like 1

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am currently looking for a very long range rabbit, vermin/ medium range Fox gun, and have narrowed down my choices to:     1. .22 Hornet 2. .17 Ackley Hornet.   Why, well taking the reloading

Neither of the calibres you mention is a decent long range rabbit round, for a custom build.

Hornet is a good tool, but is not really better than HMR for rabbits.

You need a bullet which is relatively unaffected by wind, because you are aiming for a small target at a long range. To give you some idea, I was out with my Hornet, which is very accurate, in a breeze at 200 yards, missed the rabbit I was aiming at. With .223, I can and have made similar shots time and time again - it's much easier. It's a better calibre for such a build, but if I was going to embark on your project, I would pick the .204 Ruger, because long range vermin, i.e. rabbit & crow, is why that calibre exists.

Yes, it kills foxes, but splattering bits of bunny around from 2 or 300 yards away is where it really excels.

Thanks Mr L.

Do we think its a complete non starter?sad.gif

The reason I ask is I am not prepared to go down the route of .223, as even reloading it is not economical for the volume I shoot. I would only consider another rifle if I could get it to around 0.20p a round..

Is Hornet worse, better or equivalent to .17HMR in windy conditions?

Whatever I shoot, has to be head shot, so accuracy is imperative.

Thanks Mr L.

Do we think its a complete non starter?sad.gif

The reason I ask is I am not prepared to go down the route of .223, as even reloading it is not economical for the volume I shoot. I would only consider another rifle if I could get it to around 0.20p a round..

Is Hornet worse, better or equivalent to .17HMR in windy conditions?

Whatever I shoot, has to be head shot, so accuracy is imperative.

having used a 17 ackley hornet for a few years,after having a hmr there is no comparison between the two,one is a 150 yard rabbit gun in good conditions and the other a 300 yard rabbit gun in the same conditions.If you are looking for a round for rabbits and Fox's out to 200 yards look no further than the 17 ackley hornet,loaded with a 20 grn vmax at 3800 it has more energy at 200 yard than the hmr has at the muzzle,is flat out to 200 yards and drifts significantly less in the wind

17wind.png

atb paul

Thanks for that PNSE, perhaps when you have time you could give me an indication of cost and how you went about the build. Also, may be some accuracy details.

I haven't ruled out the Hornet yet...so one question?

Do you start off with a Hornet action, or something else?

Is a CZ a good action to begin with?

Cheers

Matty

I am currently looking for a very long range rabbit, vermin/ medium range Fox gun, and have narrowed down my choices to:

1. .22 Hornet

2. .17 Ackley Hornet.

Why, well taking the reloading route, you can get 1500 rounds of ammo from 1kg of powder...

Heads can be obtained (subject to trial for 11p)

Primers cheep enough any way.

So I reckon its not that much more expensive than .17 hmr, which is not on my list for this task.

Chances are this gun would evolve in to a custom gun, as it is going to need exceptional accuracy for the task in mind. So a staged build is in order.

I will be reloading, as I have access to all the required equipment,except dies and consumables.

I have bigger guns, and use .243 for fox, so dont need a .223, 22-250, .204 etc.

But my questions are as follows to those of you that have this calibre?

1. How accurate can I get it, given I am prepared to work at it?

2. What the best action to wok with?? CZ? (have seen a complete 527 rifle for £150.

3. What is the bullet trajectory like between 50 and 250 yds?

4. Is there anything else to consider, given my criteria and the fact I can load for 0.20p.

Can we have a constructive discussion please??

Cheers Matty

Bruce Potts in Shooting UK magazine tested the Remi .17 and the Hornet. Liked 'em both, split the difference and built an Ackley .17 Hornet. Rates it the dog's naughty bits.

Ric

Thanks for that PNSE, perhaps when you have time you could give me an indication of cost and how you went about the build. Also, may be some accuracy details.

I haven't ruled out the Hornet yet...so one question?

Do you start off with a Hornet action, or something else?

Is a CZ a good action to begin with?

Cheers

Matty

hello matty,

i had it built on an anshutz 1730 hornet action,as to the cost of the round to reload i've never worked it out but a tub of n120 gives about 1250 reloads so its not going to be to far from 25-30p a reload.The cz is a good action with a trigger job and a bit of work to get the mag to feed,as to accuracy

DSCN1049.JPG

atb paul

The Hornet is not the tool for this in my view, and unfortunately I know very little about the 17 Ackley Hornet.

I cannot help but think, with the brief you list, the .204 is the tool for the job, but I can't see you reloading it for 20p :hmm:

I'd be interested to hear which route you take in the end! :thumbs:

Seems to be a bit against the hornet....that surprises meblink.gif

Never had one my self, so I have to consider the advice given.

I thought they were a good accurate round. Now..consider it pimped........it must be up to it ??

Something else cropped up today, found a .17 rem fireball....ready pimped. Touching groups at 100yds??

now that only uses 15-17 grains in a load?? Bit more that a hornet.

17 Remington Fireball is meant to be good, would do the job for you nicely. Tbh I am considering one in the very distant future, when I have more money than sense!

The Hornet is a a good round, but it's only ever a medium sort of range - 200 yards is your lot, and the windage isn't nice that far out.

The reality is I want the rifle to be capable of doing it.....

I am well aware that the real limitation will be the squidgy organic bit behind the trigger.icon_redface.gif

This is not going to be my primary rifle for rabbit control, I have a .22lr for that.

But I want a centrefire I can use everyday, with an accuracy level I wont get frustrated with!

I want this project to be a challenge so that I can get my own shooting to a higher level...

There will be a few hurdles to jump I am sure!