Gamekeeping assistant ?

''did and got a interview on the 3rd of january. i wouldnt have know about it if you didnt say ''

Well done mate! Its my pet hate when people ask for a job but wont take the initiative or effort to send away cv's and ask keepers. They arent going to come and offer you the job, you have to go to them.

Well done in you interview, wish you best of luck and you deserve it for going out your way and making the effort. ;)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to Sparsholt college, apply for their GameKeeping course. There are plenty of jobs Keeper orientated around but it's by word of mouth. Most employers go straight to Sparsholt college for their young employees and that is a fact because it is the best college in the country for GameKeeping and Wildlife Managment, Vetinary Nursing and Fisherie Managment. The new GameKeeping unit they have there is amazing, it is better then most estates.

Thats a very bold statement saying most employers go straight to sparsholt! I wouldn't. Plenty still think experience and a personal reccomendation come before bits of paper from a college. I'm not saying some qualifications aren't important and the atv, chain saw, pest control courses etc definately help. Before signing up to a full time course I would look into getting a placement for an NVQ or at the very least spend as much spare time as you can helping a local keeper.

It is a bold statment but it is also very true. If you were a Head Keeper on an estate and two candidates applied to you for a Keepering post, one that has gone to Sparsholt and one that has gone to somewhere such as Moulton college or somewhere similar and had one years work experience each and good references, you would choose the one that has been to Sparsholt. As I stated previously, Sparsholt is the best in the country for GameKeeping. At Sparsholt they're are proud in saying that nearly everyone who goes on the Keepering course that wants a job Keepering, gets a job Keepering.

''one that has gone to Sparsholt and one that has gone to somewhere such as Moulton college ''

I would hire the one that had been out working instead of at college.

When you see the amount of monkeys that go to gamekeeping college, youd be lucky if 10% will ever be in the job afterwards. Instead of putting all your energy into going to college, getting out and doing the job, whilst sending away CV's to every job you can will pay off far better in the end.

College should be the last resort if you cant get a job first, or if the job is willing to put you through an apprenticeship type scheme.

FightTheBan, I think you're giving the lad the wrong advice. He will be very lucky to find an apprenticeship in this day and age. As I have previously said if they both had the same sort of experience. You will be lucky to get into Sparsholt College as it's the best in the country for GameKeeping. If you would take the time to read what I had previously said, I would appreciate it.

I have read what you have written, and disagree with it.

There are probably more than 500 graduates coming out of gamekeeping colleges every year to fill 50 odd trainee jobs. What he needs to get a start in his career is something that sets him apart from the crowd, and thats called experience. Any mug with 2 GCSE/standard grades can waste two years at college, only a select few can stick a full time keepers job for two seasons.

Three friends of mine went to gamekeeping college (two are out of work and one is a joiner), my best pal got a keepers job at 16 (because he was keen and ambitious), hes now a beetkeeper on a very well known dumfries shoot, and my wee brother is in a trainee grouse keepers job (because he had experience, enthusiasm and was willing to work and learn).

There are plenty of jobs if your the right candidate. I think you should read what ive written, as it is completely logical. Cheers.

Go to Sparsholt college, apply for their GameKeeping course. There are plenty of jobs Keeper orientated around but it's by word of mouth. Most employers go straight to Sparsholt college for their young employees and that is a fact because it is the best college in the country for GameKeeping and Wildlife Managment, Vetinary Nursing and Fisherie Managment. The new GameKeeping unit they have there is amazing, it is better then most estates.

Thats a very bold statement saying most employers go straight to sparsholt! I wouldn't. Plenty still think experience and a personal reccomendation come before bits of paper from a college. I'm not saying some qualifications aren't important and the atv, chain saw, pest control courses etc definately help. Before signing up to a full time course I would look into getting a placement for an NVQ or at the very least spend as much spare time as you can helping a local keeper.

It is a bold statment but it is also very true. If you were a Head Keeper on an estate and two candidates applied to you for a Keepering post, one that has gone to Sparsholt and one that has gone to somewhere such as Moulton college or somewhere similar and had one years work experience each and good references, you would choose the one that has been to Sparsholt. As I stated previously, Sparsholt is the best in the country for GameKeeping. At Sparsholt they're are proud in saying that nearly everyone who goes on the Keepering course that wants a job Keepering, gets a job Keepering.

It's not true. I am a keeper and very likely to be looking for an underkeeper in the spring and I wouldn't just choose one over the other because he has been to Sparsholt! I think you have a very blinkered view on how things work. What are your links to Sparsholt? Fight the Ban is correct in everything he says. Hard work is the only way to get on in this profession not an arrogant "i know it all because I went to Sparsholt attitude."

On top of that I think Newton Rigg and Thurso would stake as strong, if not stronger claim, to be best in the country.

''did and got a interview on the 3rd of january. i wouldnt have know about it if you didnt say ''

Well done mate! Its my pet hate when people ask for a job but wont take the initiative or effort to send away cv's and ask keepers. They arent going to come and offer you the job, you have to go to them.

Well done in you interview, wish you best of luck and you deserve it for going out your way and making the effort. ;)

Totally agree with you :good:

What difference does having high grades make, if you put your mind to it that you want to be a keeper then you work hard and show that you have what it takes to be a good keeper, like someone said you see some right wallys thinking there are the best, but they are about as much use as a choclate fire guard.

I would say wise.

The more connected you are with actual keepering work, the more experience you will gain and inevitably increase your chance of a job afterwards. Just a college qualification isnt enough in this current economic climate, you must have skills that separate you from the crowd.

FTB

I would say wise.

The more connected you are with actual keepering work, the more experience you will gain and inevitably increase your chance of a job afterwards. Just a college qualification isnt enough in this current economic climate, you must have skills that separate you from the crowd.

FTB

Ok thanks,

The gamekeeping world is evolving mate ,I will stick my neck on the line here and say that not many positions these days are sole keeper duties only .There are some obviously but my advice to anyone starting out would be to get as wide a range of countryside skills on your cv as possible and if that means certificates then so be it .Dont look at the job in the short term ,experiece yes but not at the expense of no qualifications .A school leaver these days who is not from a keepering background, needs every means at his disposal to secure a job in this line of work .Good luck young man .