Gamekeeping assistant ?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem with them courses is that there is not enough jobs about. In the time it takes to do the courses to a high level you could have volenteered with a keeper probably learnt more and if you impress you'd be the first inline if any jobs came up.

Its the same in fisherys there are thousands of students to every job so the college courses become so de valued.

Problem with them courses is that there is not enough jobs about. In the time it takes to do the courses to a high level you could have volenteered with a keeper probably learnt more and if you impress you'd be the first inline if any jobs came up.

Its the same in fisherys there are thousands of students to every job so the college courses become so de valued.

so true you would prob have to move but theres allways conservation of wild birds deer the keeper is becoming a rare creature i went into woodland management instead

you should go to collage and get a work placement , and if you impress they will take you on . thats what my cousin did and now he runs a shoot in the bordors . i am in the process of going to collage but not until next sept tho because of moveing . personaly i feel thats your best bet . but obviousley going beating /picking up will help you no end aswell. good luck

If its what he wants to do i think he should go for it.

You only live once, why spend it doing something you dont want because the moneys a bit better, moneys not everything.

If your heart aint in it dont bother, ive seen countless give it a go and fail, the ones who succeed have the best job in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

Go to Sparsholt college, apply for their GameKeeping course. There are plenty of jobs Keeper orientated around but it's by word of mouth. Most employers go straight to Sparsholt college for their young employees and that is a fact because it is the best college in the country for GameKeeping and Wildlife Managment, Vetinary Nursing and Fisherie Managment. The new GameKeeping unit they have there is amazing, it is better then most estates.

Go to Sparsholt college, apply for their GameKeeping course. There are plenty of jobs Keeper orientated around but it's by word of mouth. Most employers go straight to Sparsholt college for their young employees and that is a fact because it is the best college in the country for GameKeeping and Wildlife Managment, Vetinary Nursing and Fisherie Managment. The new GameKeeping unit they have there is amazing, it is better then most estates.

Thats a very bold statement saying most employers go straight to sparsholt! I wouldn't. Plenty still think experience and a personal reccomendation come before bits of paper from a college. I'm not saying some qualifications aren't important and the atv, chain saw, pest control courses etc definately help. Before signing up to a full time course I would look into getting a placement for an NVQ or at the very least spend as much spare time as you can helping a local keeper.