Small 4x4 best

Whats the best diesel small 4x4 for the narrow lanes and hills of Cornwall e.g.fiat, suzuki

jimny is easily the best small 4x4, but may be too small?

cheap to up grade and can go almost anywhere!

cheap on tax and great on fuel, try to buy a hard top if you can as they are made in japan, the sof tops are made in spain, not as good,, there are a fair few cat d ones about that can make for cheap motoring.

oh and they have solid axles which is always a plus!

Photo-0019.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Whats the best diesel small 4x4 for the narrow lanes and hills of Cornwall e.g.fiat, suzuki

If it is for one or two people to travel in, the Suzuki Jimny is the way forward, mostly petrols but i think there is a diesel version of it, if it is for maybe four people to travel in the Vitara would be the way to go. I have owned a Jimny and it was minted to start with but when i needed more space for my dogs and other people i went bigger to a Ford Ranger. You dont actually say what purpose you want to have this small 4x4, for the fun of off-road driving the Jimny is the ultimate, check out youtube, type in " Garry @the pipe Drumclog " it is a bog standard Jimny with chunky tyres.

The best ever 4x4 I ever had was a Suzuki SJ413 (i think that was the model ) it went through everything never let me down I had it for two seasons sold for one hundred pounds more than I paid for it. I would buy another one tommorow if i could find a really good one.

I think the Jimny is based on them .

BRING BACK THE SUBARU PICK UP. HAD SEVERAL OVER THE YEARS, ENGINES STRONG AS BELL METAL, :boxing:

BUT BODIES MADE OUT OF BUSCUIT TINS :thumbdown: CAN STILL BUY EM FAIRLY CHEAP.

The 1600's were real wizzy machines . Mine did nearly 200,000 miles on the original engine .She was smoking like a two stroke by then though .

The bodywork was no way up to biscuit tin quality though . You must have had a good one !

The estate version was very popular off road choice with keepers on the South Downs which says something for them !

my vit takes me anywhere i point it , it only got road tyres on . no lift . no winches need :notworthy:

You're talking out of your arse or you only drive on bowling greens :whistling:

im talking outa my arse too when i say i got a vitara with a 6"lift and a good set of rims and chunkys few other small mods too and the thing has never let me down...hairdressers jeep they may be...but offroad they will put most jeeps three times their price to shame...

my vit takes me anywhere i point it , it only got road tyres on . no lift . no winches need :notworthy:

You're talking out of your arse or you only drive on bowling greens :whistling:

im talking outa my arse too when i say i got a vitara with a 6"lift and a good set of rims and chunkys few other small mods too and the thing has never let me down...hairdressers jeep they may be...but offroad they will put most jeeps three times their price to shame...

I have a modified vitara also, my point being is the lad who says he gets anywhere with road tyres on is talking out of his arse or hasn't been seriously off road. Get the point now mate?

vit005.jpg

Edited by CorkyJohn

Suzuki vitara easy, they do a commercial one with a 1.9TD engine, the same engine as a peugeot 306. Plenty of grunt, cheap to run, will go absolutely anywhere with some decent tyres. i've got a petrol one with 2" lift and mud-terrains, will piss all over most things offroad. Parts are also easy to come by if needed

the vitara 1.9td are like rockin horse shit no one sells them the 2.0 tds are good ive had numerous 1.6 petrols and they are great off road ive whooped many a landy without even engagin 4low. another wee petrol is the sportrack go much bigger than the vitsras and mpg drops big time.

rocking horse shit? theyre rarer than that arnt they as they are spanish made and if there are any about theyre imported, ye can get an adaptor plate to mount the pug engine to the vit box, and also the vw engine, but it can be silly money,

depending what you want it for the jimny or the justy are good options, if your going to be just driving country lanes and parking in gate ways ect get a justy, if your going to be going offroad then get a jimny, and by off road i mean not parked just in the gateway, i mean getting muddy.

The best ever 4x4 I ever had was a Suzuki SJ413 (i think that was the model ) it went through everything never let me down I had it for two seasons sold for one hundred pounds more than I paid for it. I would buy another one tommorow if i could find a really good one.

I think the Jimny is based on them .

they are superb offroad, iv got a 410, never misses a beat, ye dont have to find a good one though as theyre very easy to work on, so getting one in tip top condition is simple enough. im just in the middle of changing the interior in mine with honda crx interior. then spraying and some modded body work

heres a guys i know from another site, mega modded though with a vitara lump in it

couple pics of mine

december09offroad028.jpg

december09offroad030.jpg

013-1.jpg