Stery Pro-Hunter & Pro-Varmint

Hi Guys.

I have 2 questions I would like help with. First the background. I own 2 Stery Pro-Hunter Rifle (one is .222 the short Mountian version and the other 6.5x55 for deer Stainless and both synthetic) I love my 6.5 but the .222 I feel the trigger is to hard in direct mode and the single set is a real hair trigger. If you read my other post you will know I am thinking of changing it. Here is my question on the Pro-Hunter:

~ Those of you who use them, what do you think of the triggers? Is there anyway to reduce the pressure on the direct trigger without spending a lot of money???

~ My other question is about the Pro-Hunter Varmint. This is the new Synthetic and Stainless Stery in .22 or .223. Has anyone used one of these and if so what do you think. My concerns are 1. my current PH .222 will sometimes try to load 2 rounds and jam, bad when you need a 2nd shot in a hurry. 2. The PH Var has a bright SS finished barrel, does it give of clare???

i have the prohunter mountain mk11 in .223, i like the rifle and find the trigger is fine for me. I have had to change the trigger on my marlin .17hmr because it was too heavy and hard to get used to so basically if i didnt like the trigger on the steyr i would have adjusted or changed it. I am not sure what adjustment you have in the triggers so i cant help with that question. I have never had any jams or feed problems and have found the bolt system to be good.

just my two cents. (p.s. mine hates 40gr rounds)

keith

quick silver i use pro~hunter mountain 2 i have never had any problem with the trigger. I have just had 2 trigger kits fitted on my CZ style 22 and CZ sttyle HMR 17 because the pro~hunter trigger is so sweet on my 223. This rifle has never jammed when being loaded

Edited by hunter1

I've got the PH 2 mountain in 243 and sorry to say it but never had problems with feeding (really with the bolt system on the whole) and the trigger is great both normal and when set.

Soory to hear yours isn't the same, have you considered taking it back for inspection - especially seeing as you get on well with your swede?

Thanks guys that is helpful. I have a feeling the .222 being a short round may be the issue or the magazine. I know another man same gun, .222 and has had some similar issues. I could change the trigger but the only one is a £200 match trigger and also need professionally fitted, I just think that is to much to spend on a trigger. As stated the 6.5 is am OK with, the longer round feed fine and trigger is Ok.

When foxing at night I would often shoot of sticks. I use the single set as it is quicker to use when on target before I move of it, not as steady as i was 35 years ago. If shooting prone and steady I can use either. The single set is so light that if your fingers are cold, it is easy to set it of as you are fine tuning for the shot. Otherwise accurate wee gun.

Thanks guys that is helpful. I have a feeling the .222 being a short round may be the issue or the magazine. I know another man same gun, .222 and has had some similar issues. I could change the trigger but the only one is a £200 match trigger and also need professionally fitted, I just think that is to much to spend on a trigger. As stated the 6.5 is am OK with, the longer round feed fine and trigger is Ok.

When foxing at night I would often shoot of sticks. I use the single set as it is quicker to use when on target before I move of it, not as steady as i was 35 years ago. If shooting prone and steady I can use either. The single set is so light that if your fingers are cold, it is easy to set it of as you are fine tuning for the shot. Otherwise accurate wee gun.

i have a PH 223, can you not adjust the set trigger? am sure i looked at it when i first had it? small little grub screw!

i never use the "set trigger" as in the standard trigger is sweet as a nut for me.....

plus on loading, i have had an issue once or twice, but i think it is me not pulling the bolt back far enough.......... only in the heat of the moment!

Steyr223