whats the ultimate hunting wagon

japs sacrifice ruggedness for reliability and comfort while land rovers sacrifice comfort, fuel consumption, reliability and power for erm, what exactly?

This is an unusual comment. Are you saying they're not reliable? At least Toyotas, and Nissan to an extent have normally gotten stick for being thirsty, uncomfortable and slow while also being the toughest and most reliable. Certainly the toughest/most reliable vehicles ever made are the 40 and 70 series landcruisers as work vehicles (never sold in europe), and 60 series wagons.

Having worked on numerous 'cruisers and land rovers I can say the toyotas embarrass land rover (and other 4x4s I seen) in terms of heavy duty build and long term reliabilty. They were never underpowered, and big motors turning low HP were very understressed - it is common for them to go round the clock (1million + km). If you feel the need maybe they like new bearings and rings at 500k km...

I don't think they're any more capable off road than a LR (I may take a aguess at the 90 being the best off road performer), but when it comes to taking a beating, landcruiser come out top. With hilux close behind. I think LR went the recreational route when they went coilers - more comfortable but can't take as much punishment. The aussie army even felt the need to replace their defenders with leaf springs for toughness!

landcruisers were even ECUless untill a couple of years ago - yes that's right NO FLAMING COMPUTERS. Just good old NA-mechanical-injected-straight-six-stake-your-life-on diesels. Now, the TD5...

cant beat the old 4.2 landcruiser with a good set of boots on goes anywhere

I guess you could say I'm with you;) Although I think the 2h (4L) is a stronger (tougher/longer lasting) motor than the 1HZ (4.2)

I do have a Landrover SIIA, SI, Nissan D21 and landcruiser HJ47 though, so I like'm both ways...

Sorry for the rant, I do love land rovers. Just hate coils and electronics

Edited by harrygrey382

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

we use a vauxhall brava pick up with a truckman boxes divided into 3, we then have a powerpoint inside and on the back aswell as spots on the front bumper

i think all shooting wagons have to be a compromise, japs sacrifice ruggedness for reliability and comfort while land rovers sacrifice comfort, fuel consumption, reliability and power for erm, what ex

Posted Images

what you need mate is a nice hybrid project, a 100" chassis, leafer parabolics suspension,unimog axles, 4.2 toyboata engine and gear bag, and a series land rover double cab body, would take some beating as a shooting wagon, and for that matter on the off road course too, in fact i'd buy 1 if they were in showrooms :whistling:

what you need mate is a nice hybrid project, a 100" chassis, leafer parabolics suspension,unimog axles, 4.2 toyboata engine and gear bag, and a series land rover double cab body, would take some beating as a shooting wagon, and for that matter on the off road course too, in fact i'd buy 1 if they were in showrooms :whistling:

yeah that doesn't sounds bad. Why unimog axles though? I'd just stick with toyota, they don't break... Got parabolics on the SIIA though, very impressed! Also, check out new Santanas - simple (no electronic engine management) and leaf sprung. Looks like a defender too

A landy'd be ok with if it's a V8... As for the hilux, it just needs some ballest on the tray to give it some traction

WHEN I USED A HI LUX TO transport feed around the shoot it kept on snapping springs (not cheap to replace)i do addmit good on road but poor fuel consumption .The old landy with 15 bags corn in the back and 30 in the sanky trailer only gets stuck if iam daft enough to get it in the wrong place and even then all i do is uncouple the trailer and get the landy out first useing a couple of pieces of conveyer belt under the wheels then tow out the trailer with a rope.Towing off road in my experience speed dos'nt come into it.atb.PS i owned an old diahatsu F20 rag top many years ago now that was a little belta.

WHEN I USED A HI LUX TO transport feed around the shoot it kept on snapping springs (not cheap to replace)i do addmit good on road but poor fuel consumption .The old landy with 15 bags corn in the back and 30 in the sanky trailer only gets stuck if iam daft enough to get it in the wrong place and even then all i do is uncouple the trailer and get the landy out first useing a couple of pieces of conveyer belt under the wheels then tow out the trailer with a rope.Towing off road in my experience speed dos'nt come into it.atb.PS i owned an old diahatsu F20 rag top many years ago now that was a little belta.

oh dear, sounds like you maxed it out! Well they are a lighter duty vehicle than a landy, so they should handle more weight. What you really need is a 40 or 70 series landcruiser, toughest vehicles ever to grace this earth. Just a pitty you can't get them here...

oh dear, sounds like you maxed it out! Well they are a lighter duty vehicle than a landy, so they should handle more weight. What you really need is a 40 or 70 series landcruiser, toughest vehicles ever to grace this earth. Just a pitty you can't get them here...

Harry in the real world the landy is the vehicle i have now a wish list may be different helicopter perhaps ;)