Charging deben battery packs

Hello folks, could someone tell me the correct way to charge a deben 12v 18ah belt battery pack please, I have just bought one tonight got it home and plugged it in, now then the power light comes on and the charging light comes on but only stays on for a few minutes then goes off leaving just the power light lit up, am i supposed to charge both batteries at the same time or undo the leads and charge them one at a time?

Might sound a daft question but it just doesn't seem like there is any power going into the batteries,

Cheers :notworthy:

Hello folks, could someone tell me the correct way to charge a deben 12v 18ah belt battery pack please, I have just bought one tonight got it home and plugged it in, now then the power light comes on and the charging light comes on but only stays on for a few minutes then goes off leaving just the power light lit up, am i supposed to charge both batteries at the same time or undo the leads and charge them one at a time?

Might sound a daft question but it just doesn't seem like there is any power going into the batteries,

No problem charging them both together or seperately.

There is an arguement to charge together as they will discharge together, but, because of manufacturing tolerences they will almost certainly last a different time (although similar) so perhaps consider charging seperately.

Bottom line is if the green light goes off quick they are either fully charged or there is a problem somewhere!! :hmm:

There is an arguement to charge together as they will discharge together, but, because of manufacturing tolerences they will almost certainly last a different time (although similar) so perhaps consider charging seperately.

Bottom line is if the green light goes off quick they are either fully charged or there is a problem somewhere!! :hmm:

OK, one battery is charging and one isn't :thumbdown:

not happy :thumbdown:

will leave overnight and see what happens

There is an argument to charge together as they will discharge together, but, because of manufacturing tolerances they will almost certainly last a different time (although similar) so perhaps consider charging seperately.

Something seems amiss, that should not be the case, have you checked all the connections???

Consider taking out of the pack and charging seperately just to check both batteries are ok!

Doesn't seem a good start, hope it all gets resolved!!

There is an argument to charge together as they will discharge together, but, because of manufacturing tolerances they will almost certainly last a different time (although similar) so perhaps consider charging seperately.

Something seems amiss, that should not be the case, have you checked all the connections???

Consider taking out of the pack and charging seperately just to check both batteries are ok!

Yes, took them out the bag, checked all connections, 1 of the batteries is charging ok and the green charging light stays on, the other battery won't charge, the light goes off almost straight away.

Bought off a lad on this forum so will see how things go overnight.

Yes, took them out the bag, checked all connections, 1 of the batteries is charging ok and the green charging light stays on, the other battery won't charge, the light goes off almost straight away.

Sort of back to square one... my first reaction is that one battery is US!! lets hope not!

Sort of back to square one... my first reaction is that one battery is US!! lets hope not!

OK, got my voltmeter off the van, one battery is charging and sat at 12v very sweetly. next battery goes up to 10.4 volts then the charger goes off and battery starts discharging itself, looks like the battery if faulty :thumbdown:

OK, got my voltmeter off the van, one battery is charging and sat at 12v very sweetly. next battery goes up to 10.4 volts then the charger goes off and battery starts discharging itself, looks like the battery if faulty :thumbdown:

That seems a little unfortunate, looks like we are getting to the root of the problem.... sounds like about £25-£30 of new battery may be in order!

just been out and bought myself a early crimbo pressie, brand new lightforce striker, deben 12v 20ah shoulder battery pack and red filter, all with 12 month guarantee, happy days, bring on the rabbits LOL

John i've never had much confidence in the deben battery chargers, i bought one offline that chargers the lead acid battery packs, it will charge 2,6,12,&24volt batteries and it has indicator lights on it to let you know when it's charged.Cost me about £15.00 delivered. You can also leave it charging all the time as it only trickle charges as and when it needs topping up..

I wouldn't want to be walking far with the 20amp battery pack mate, i've just bought a lithium 10amp and i don't know how i've managed without one before. You don't know your carrying it at all...