lee

this deer was finally sorted after numerous people phoned

me regarding its condition of not been able to walk properly

on killing this deer we found as you can see its hooves in

a right old mess but rear ones also any thoughts on this

mine were a wet old winter and could not wear them down or

been stuck in a wire /hedge and just grown naturally

not sure really but someone with experience might know

please add your comments to this dilema even if you dont comment on the original

topic

lee

post-42286-125866425489_thumb.jpg

Aladdins slippers caused by suspensory ligament trouble in the legs, this then causes the deer discomfort so it puts weight on the heels when walking which in turn stops the front edge of the hooves from wearing down so they keep growing causing what you see in the photo. Had one like this this year as well, the ligament trouble can be caused by a variety of things eg diet, injury, abnormal bone growth or growth faster than wear in the hoof.

My opinion here will differ quiet a lot from from what people in the UK will suggest, however a good 6x scope mounted on a lightweight rifle in .243( I see this is what you have put in for)shooting a pointed soft point projectile preferrably at the heavier end of the scale for .243 will do the job just nicely.

As for head or chest shot, that is up to you, both will kill, the head shot though is definitely no nonsense, but can be harder to achieve.

Obviously a head shot does not require the pointed soft point. As for the 100 grain being needed, no, it is not, a 55 grainer out of a centrefire .22 will do the job well enough if you are switched on with your setup.

Good luck

Aladdin's slippers can also be caused when deer are on very soft wet ground for a long period of time.... they dont get the chance to wear down on a hard surface,

Now as for head shot oe heart lung, i'd suggest the latter, As you are new i think you say to the centre fire scence, head shot in my eyes is a complete no no......... the target is to small and you may maim an animal, taking the jaw off, or the side of the head,

you need to respect the quarry you intend to hunt ane give it as fast a death as possible.... Now once you build up your confidence and skill

i'd suggest a neck shot, but only when you can place the round confidently..

As for rifle setup thats upto you,

tikka, sako, remington, tikka sako have 1 in 10 twist, and may not stabilize the 100g round remington 700 also do 1 in 10, but also 1 in 9 and 1 in 9 1/8......

As for scope its upto you, but you want one with good low light performance, mag, fixed or vari is upto you.....

i personally prefer vari as it can be used for long range work also,

best of luck.....

Snap.

hi all

just new to this site ,situation is im waiting for my

ticket to come through,on it will be .17 .22 .243

my back ground is lurchers for 15 yrs beating for locals on and off for 20

years now a syndicate member and 80 plus acres to go at

ive decided to put in for the firearms

my shoot is mainly woodland but i have a lot of people asking

for me to do fox control im limited with the long dogs

so open ticket it is

just need pointers on scope and gun for consistancy legal

round 100 grain but is this vital ? touchy subject probably

also head shot or engine room ?

any more tips please advise

thank you for your time

lee

this deer was finally sorted after numerous people phoned

me regarding its condition of not been able to walk properly

on killing this deer we found as you can see its hooves in

a right old mess but rear ones also any thoughts on this

mine were a wet old winter and could not wear them down or

been stuck in a wire /hedge and just grown naturally

not sure really but someone with experience might know

please add your comments to this dilema even if you dont comment on the original

topic

lee

I'd probably advise a wee bit more research on some of the questions you are asking:

Legal requirements vary a bit between Scotland & England - .22 & lower calibre are illegal to use on deer anywhere, unless its to dispatch a wounded beast - even then there are conditions. 50g round is minumum for Roe deer & 100g round for all other deer. You also need to consider the muzzle velocity (2,450ft/sec for all species) & muzzle velocity of no less than 1000ftlbs for roe deer & 1750ftlbs for all other species. Bullets should of course be expanding. I'd say a .243 should be a good all rounder for all types. I tend to use 70-80g bullets for Roe, 100g is a bit much.

I'd also swot up a bit more on head v body shots - The stock answer is to never ever take a head or neck shot when you can take a body shot, or unless you are v close. Sometimes its unavoidable, but you could end up with a badly wounded beast if you dont hit the exact recomended kill area.

If you are going to do fox control, (I assume lamping) & occasional stalking), I'd burst the budget on the best scope you can afford ! I use a Docter 3-12x56 illuminated on my 243, and its simply awesome at dawn/dusk & lamping. But the £££'s can be restrictive for a first purchase!

Lastly, dont jump in and buy just anything - do lots of research and learn a bit more about the regulations.

Hope this helps a bit

Edited by fireblade_rrw