Managing rabbits in a confined area.

Hi, I am new to the forum and have a small area of land, about 3 acres, enclosed by neighbours farm land, which is not kept clear of pests and which are now making inroads onto our little bit of grazing. Although I have a good pack of terriers my neighbours object strongly to me working them over their land, and since I have no lurcher this is only of limited use (we pick up mostly the myxies). I was thinking of snaring as being a method of managing the rabs without encroaching on other people's territory. There are numerous runs from their land, through sheep netting and under my (densely laid)hedge, and they have also colonised an area in the corner of my field which has been used in the past as a dump for bits of old metal etc, and made quite a decent little warren there. Recently Ive noticed new scrapes being made further up the hedge towards the house, although no tunnels yet.

Could anyone advise me on the correct type of snare and setting, I can see the runs under the hedge, but am currently unable to identify the "pads" although I can see areas where the rabs lie up,where there are droppings. I am quite able to despatch any caught rabbit, and we are keen to have rabbit stew, if any of you have advice, please help me out! Thanks.

Deanne (the border terrier lady).

I am in a village outside Ashbourne, Derbyshire. Thanks for

the reply.

Regards

deanne

Hi, I am new to the forum and have a small area of land, about 3 acres, enclosed by neighbours farm land, which is not kept clear of pests and which are now making inroads onto our little bit of grazing. Although I have a good pack of terriers my neighbours object strongly to me working them over their land, and since I have no lurcher this is only of limited use (we pick up mostly the myxies). I was thinking of snaring as being a method of managing the rabs without encroaching on other people's territory. There are numerous runs from their land, through sheep netting and under my (densely laid)hedge, and they have also colonised an area in the corner of my field which has been used in the past as a dump for bits of old metal etc, and made quite a decent little warren there. Recently Ive noticed new scrapes being made further up the hedge towards the house, although no tunnels yet.

Could anyone advise me on the correct type of snare and setting, I can see the runs under the hedge, but am currently unable to identify the "pads" although I can see areas where the rabs lie up,where there are droppings. I am quite able to despatch any caught rabbit, and we are keen to have rabbit stew, if any of you have advice, please help me out! Thanks.

I am in a village outside Ashbourne, Derbyshire. Thanks for

the reply.

Regards

deanne

hi mate im only at belper mate if u ever need a hand i LOVE rabbit stew mate

by law the other land owner can not stop you going on there land if rabbits are coming onto your land and causing damage,but just check with your local police before you take any action dont want to get you in any bother,but its right

I dont thinks so.That will be classed as tresspassing if you went on someone elses land without permission, them rabbits belong to them, if some one has rabbits on there land and they dont want to get rid of them there is nothing you can do untill the rabbits come on your land,

Hi Deanne

I am only on the other side of Buxton if you fancy lamping one night I have a silenced 410 which I use loads for lamping bunnies also I have loads of rabbit traps if you would like to trap them you are welcome to borrow them,

All the best Phil

by law the other land owner can not stop you going on there land if rabbits are coming onto your land and causing damage,but just check with your local police before you take any action dont want to get you in any bother,but its right

I dont thinks so.That will be classed as tresspassing if you went on someone elses land without permission, them rabbits belong to them, if some one has rabbits on there land and they dont want to get rid of them there is nothing you can do untill the rabbits come on your land,

If the other land owner doesn't take responsibility for the rabbits on his land the

at are casing damage to your land then maybe drop him a copy of this through his letterbox

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/Images/WML-G22_tcm6-9968.pdf

They are a pest and he has a responsibilty to control them.

Hope it helps and might clarify a few things.

410phil

there is a law that says if vermin are causing dammage on your land you can go on any land except MOD land to catch that vermin,we had that problem down here,when a local farmer had rabbits coming onto his land from a caravan park the caravan park owner objected to the rabbits being harmed,farmer contacted his solicitor and he contacted a local pest controller who went on the caravan park and sorted the rabbits out. :tongue2:

:thumbs: Thanks you guys, the advice is great. I'm going to try snaring for now. I have a bit of permission to bush and take some walked up game, anything the dogs can get, on some watermeadows near here, so I'm gona ask the farmer if I could try to snare there too, he's snided out with rabs. I don't mind a few, but bloody hell, when the buggers are so cheeky you gotta do something! If I have some success he might let me have a wider range. Ive been down there this morning looking at the runs and seeing where there clearest. You can't ferret there cos the hedges are double sheep wired, but loads of rabs there, runs everywhere, and the terriers always get at least one. :thumbs:

Hi Deanne

I am only on the other side of Buxton if you fancy lamping one night I have a silenced 410 which I use loads for lamping bunnies also I have loads of rabbit traps if you would like to trap them you are welcome to borrow them,

All the best Phil

Thanks for the offer Phil, at the moment I am hampered here, so cant take you up directly, well not at the minute. I don't actually shoot, I just have the terriers. I got one as a pet and now Ive got seven and the rabbit bug as well. Spend all my spare time trying to get the little buggers! I can't have any more dogs here, otherwise I'd get a lurcher. We are trying to sell this place cos the neighbours are a snotty lot and get agitated with the dogs, the ferrets and the fact that I like to go out bushing. Its "equestrian" but they don't like livestock or anything not horsey! The bloke next door shoots, he stalks deer, but he wouldn't lower himself to rabs!

Happy hunting and I hope you have a good Christmas

Deanne

Hi Deanne

All the best Phil

Thanks for the offer Phil, at the moment I am hampered here, so cant take you up directly, well not at the minute. I don't actually shoot, I just have the terriers. I got one as a pet and now Ive got seven and the rabbit bug as well. Spend all my spare time trying to get the little buggers! I can't have any more dogs here, otherwise I'd get a lurcher. We are trying to sell this place cos the neighbours are a snotty lot and get agitated with the dogs, the ferrets and the fact that I like to go out bushing. Its "equestrian" but they don't like livestock or anything not horsey! The bloke next door shoots, he stalks deer, but he wouldn't lower himself to rabs!

Happy hunting and I hope you have a good Christmas

Deanne

Hi Deanne,

Have a couple of friends with air riffles that would be able help with you bunny problem, they are wisper quite and very affective bunny stoppers. More than happy to have a chat let me know if you are interested, only up the road in Derby.

Cheers

Dave