WCS Collarum

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi folks,   Just recently seen a short lived thread on the WCS Collarum, I am interested in the thoughts and views of people who have used it or knowledgeable people's opinions on it please.   ATB

Has anyone with any experience with using the Collarum trap got any feedback on its performance in the field?

PM me if you don't want to post on the open forum - but I would be interested to hear what you have to say

OTC

OTC, afriend of mine in england was sent two of these snares from his amaerican trapper friend, who had them hanging in his trap shed. he certainly was not impressed by them.hence they were sent over here, free to a good home, my friend just passed them on to another couple guys , you can,t beat a simple wire noose set over an open trail, but for the guys who like digging , give them a try, but it certainly won,t be me.
  • 3 weeks later...

All too easy to slate something before its even been given a chance. The collarum has been introduced to the UK market for pest controllers. The idea being that it will take over the function of a bulky fox cage trap.

How many gardens do you ever set fox snares in?

I haven’t tried the collarum out yet, it’s still sat in its box. However I do think that the size and weight of this thing (if it is successful) will assign the fox cage trap to the pest controller’s history book, probably into the section that reads “did we really used to lug THAT aboutâ€.

Anything to cut down on valuable space and make life a bit easier has to be a good thing.

I also like the WCS Tube trap. It’s a trap with its own built in tunnel. Not too big and clumsy, easy to set.

John just an opinion for anyone else other than a dedicated professional pest controller I would say they were far too expensive.. Your looking at £50 pound for a tube trap that a bodygrip can do the same as, same as with the collarum £50 when basic fox snares would be just as easy and far far cheaper... As pestcontrollers in urban areas, fair enough, anywhere else there overboard... BUT they will sell, same as the kania does...

Indeed Ian, thats what i was getting at.

No one in thier right mind would spend 50 odd quid on a way out "far flung" snare :laugh: when they can buy a standard one for a quid.

But a professional getting paid that needs to show a result quickly will use every legal method available and i cannot see why the collarum would not be classed as useful tool in a garden situation.

£100 - £150 for a cage trap, or £50 for a collarum? Makes sence to me. ;)

Edited by John Keswick

Indeed Ian, thats what i was getting at.

No one in thier right mind would spend 50 odd quid on a way out "far flung" snare laugh.gif when they can buy a standard one for a quid.

But a professional getting paid that needs to show a result quickly will use every legal method available and i cannot see why the collarum would not be classed as useful tool in a garden situation.

£100 - £150 for a cage trap, or £50 for a collarum? Makes sence to me. wink.gif

Yes agree there john ... Lets see, how they get on with them over here, there not 100% foolproof watching there video though as some may think...

Yes agree there john ... Lets see, how they get on with them over here, there not 100% foolproof watching there video though as some may think...

Apart from the badger issue, and needing to get the fox to approach it from the front, what other issues are there Ian? I'll probably end up trying one, at some stage. Despite Glens best advice I'm not good at snaring, save for one spot but a blind man with no arms could set there.

Apart from the badger issue

I think that is a very big BUT there John

There is a simple reason why we have not had a legal spring fox trap in England and Wales for 51 years ....

I think DEFRA have been over hasty in 'approving' this trap without trials in the UK on the target animal in the environment in which it will be used.

Recent spring trap 'approvals' all seem to carry a common thread amongst them ... but it will be their own undoing. Mark my words!

OTC

I think that is a very big BUT there John

I agree with it being a very big but OTC :) I've emailed a couple of companies again regarding some details, I'm away from home at the minute and can't remember email password :icon_redface: I'm still trying to suss out other issues I guess.

Saying that, being out on the farm and being out at night after fox, I haven't actually seen a badger or evidence of one in a really long time. Strange as there used to be a few around. I am more used to seeing 4 or 5 a week whether lamping or driving at night, and seeing bits of digging out on the land.

Still doesn't remove the issue at hand, just something I'd noticed.

• 4 weeks later...

does anyone know how much replacement wires are for it? do you have to use their wires or could you use others on it.

It comes with two wires and replacements will be available. I think you will have to use their cables as the wire and lock comes under the approval I believe.

Looked at the sales video the other night looks impressive and if true,would be a useful bit of kit,more than half the cost of a tidy live catch,and a lot quicker set up time,far less imposing on the landscape,away from prying eyes,all good if it works,however plenty of badgers around here who definitely pull on bait that is how I make my traps,they are also easy to release a badger from unharmed,I wouldn't fancy trying to get one out of one of those.

Been interested in the tube trap for a while,has anyone used one what sort of catches You achieved

Id like to have a go with one of these new snares, but I also feel that they are giving far too glowing a report on them. Firstly, I hope that the profesionals who use these, have plenty of experience with foxes in standard snares, mainly regarding the placement, and if the fox could wrap itself around(or jump over) a nearby obstruction and kill itself. Also there are the obvious other disadvantages over using a cage in an urban setting, ie the damage caused by the fox as it jumps about and scrats all over the place. Also, users will need to be able to confidently and cabably release a badger unharmed, or a dangerous dog etc... something that is not difficult with the right tool and experience.

Although I reckon the cage trap or standard snare will in no way be put out of use by the collarum, they do have a unique difference, and that is why I think they will find their niche within the pest control industry where special cercumstances dictate.

Just my initial take on the product, but il certainly be testing it out in the future.