WCS Collarum

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi folks,   Just recently seen a short lived thread on the WCS Collarum, I am interested in the thoughts and views of people who have used it or knowledgeable people's opinions on it please.   ATB

You can't beat the yanks for a quick reply.

This is what I asked.

"I have been looking at your collarum trap, and talking to friends about it. The thing we have been wondering about is has the trap been tested in areas containing badgers as well as canines. Over here in Ireland the badger is a protected species and anyone caught killing one can get in a lot of trouble. I like the collarum as another tool in the arsenal against the red fox, but am concerned about badgers getting caught up in them, both for their sake, equipment damage and the associated destruction of the immediate area by the caught badger. Can you shed any light on the above for me please?"

This is what I got back.

"To my knowledge the Collarum was tested in two locations that contain populations of badgers, i.e. Texas and Colorado. In the 10+ years of my involvement with the Collarum I have never heard or seen it catch a badger. The Collarum is SPECIES-SPECIFIC , meaning it will only capture species that elicit a "bite & pull" response. This limits it to capturing canines only. It will not catch cats of any type, raccoon, etc. for that very reason...............they don't bite and pull, and I don't believe a badger would elicit this response either. Thats not to say they won't set the device off by pawing it, or playing with it, but they won't be captured."

One of the short sighted problems with this trap is that it was never tested on foxes in Canada - none of their traps are. It appears that the boffins at DEFRA have accepted that since it works on coyotes it will, therefore, work on our foxes.

And they don't have badgers there either - at least not like ours. I cannot imagine for one second that it won't catch badgers - if it doesn't then I would dearly love to know how it differentiates between one and the other ...

Any one know? 120-2??

OTC

Just wondering why you specify Canada OTC. I know, or at least I think, that the grey fox is the more numerous fox in the USA but they have red lads over there too. Their badgers are different though, you're right.

i,m quite suprised that the collarum is getting such a bad press from you lads on here without giving it a go , even if its used to catch urdan foxes or in certain situations , then surely another string to any trappers bow is a good one, these things are fitted with breakaways and stops just like the ones glen is showing everyone so they can be species spacific and release badgers and cats just like the snares we use now

i,m quite suprised that the collarum is getting such a bad press from you lads on here without giving it a go , even if its used to catch urdan foxes or in certain situations , then surely another string to any trappers bow is a good one, these things are fitted with breakaways and stops just like the ones glen is showing everyone so they can be species spacific and release badgers and cats just like the snares we use now

I haven't used it. I'd just like to clarify I've no intention of giving the trap bad press either. I quite like the idea. Like everything new I've a few questions all the same.