Starting up reloading

Howdie all, ive got my ticket through for me .223 now, and have found the one i want.

now i intend to reload (for the cheapness of it) i have been given 100 remington cases that currently have the old primers in them. i was looking at geting the lee's breech lock challenger kit, is this all i will need for reloading ? (other than the dies for the .223) and a good book, i was looking at the Speer Reloading Manual maybe.

also for cleaning the cases, i see that some kits use ground down wood, can i use a sonic bath that i have accses too at work for case cleaning.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For a .223 reloading might not be the cheaper option !   Reloading is more to tune ammo to your rifle than cheap. If you want cheap then mil surplus might be the cheapest option followed by brands l

You really do talk rubbish sometimes, are you trying to kill the guy!   There is little or no .223 Mil surplus, it is 5.56 which will fit but is over pressure for .223, unless of course you can find

cheap make ammo is worth trying if its accurate in your rifle then your on a winner. imo its ok for some fun on range or a long range shooting day. but thats about it.   why buy a top rifle and pu

For a .223 reloading might not be the cheaper option !

Reloading is more to tune ammo to your rifle than cheap. If you want cheap then mil surplus might be the cheapest option followed by brands like ppu and american eagle.

You really do talk rubbish sometimes, are you trying to kill the guy!

There is little or no .223 Mil surplus, it is 5.56 which will fit but is over pressure for .223, unless of course you can find some original shit 5.56 mil spec. But you are unlikely to know so don't **** about and don't use it!!

Best zip it when you don't know what you are talking about!

• Like 1

You will need:

Press

dies

scale

powder dispenser of some sort

powder trickler ideally

a decent level bench to work on

Plus other bits that aren't leaping into my mind right now.

You will save some money reloading 223, I can load for about the same price as Prvi, and it shoots a LOT better! It's also a very forgiving calibre - pretty much anything works, just might not work well...

I wouldn't worry about the surplus stuff, be it Wolf or Barnaul or whatever - it's all pretty shite to be honest!

American Eagle is a good factory load if you are looking for cheap though, it's reasonable quality, shoots OK, and isn't too bad on the wallet. But it's more than reloads, and not as good.

I was looking at getting the Lee's kit, which i think has all that list in it apart from the dies.

I havent actualy got the gun yet, they are holding it for me but should pick it up mid week and i'll probably buy a mixture of factory ammo just to see what weights it groups best with, then proceed from there.

hi aZmAn,

if your serious about reloading and 223rem is a nice caliber to start with lots of info and loads around for starting points ask your self if you would ever consider loading for other calibers if it is remotely near a maybe or yes then save your self some down the line greif and go for a better set up and buy just once the rockchucker supreme kits are surperbly built and will last out your grandkids doing serious amounts of reloading also the redding kits are similar in build quailty . there is nothing wrong with the lee stuff it does the job but you will wear it out .for my own use i run a rcbs rockchucker press and trimmer the rcbs primer seater dont be tempted to use press attachments with redding dies for full lenght and seating but you cant beat the lee neck sizing die as it doesnt work the case at all also the rcbs kit will have everything you need to get started ie case lube pad etc including a speer manual a wealth of knowledge on its own.

as for your cases buy the best you can afford lappau been the standard most other is trying to get to but if just varmint shooting then winchester or remington (steer clear of the nickle plated stuff it flakes off and will wreck your dies ) will do the job dont mix case makes as loads will alter with case volume and to start keep it simple dont know what your main quary will be but a 50 grain bullet will stop most things you would want to shoot to start with.

powder there are a few known prefered powders but just try one to start personally use varget from 40 to 55 grain bullet and a tub should give you around 250 loads bullet heads well twist rate will rule some in or out but if a standard 1 in 12 or slower most should work personally using sierra blitzking at 50 and 55 grains or nosler 40 gains as for primers well standard cci will get you going you can play around with them once you get going.

as for extras well a good set of digital verneer gauges are handy and a set of comparator inserts for you caliber and when you pick the gun up ask them to measure the seating depth for you and it will save you buying a oal gauge.you will need other bits and pieces once you get going but to start keep it simple but be warned it is addictive so dont say you werent warned.

graham

• Like 1

thanks for all that advice graham, I'll start off with the lee kit i think, as its cheap then upgrade the parts as they wear/break (It will be mostly used for vermin/fox so good accuracy with resonable cost is my aim). I do intend on reloding other calibers, i have a 6.5x55 on my ticket but i thought i would start off with the smaller caliber, and hopefuly cheaper loading to play around with (the principle i assume will be the same).

I'm looking for a speer manual at the moment, dose it mater if its not the latest revision??

Thanks again.

Azman

thanks for all that advice graham, I'll start off with the lee kit i think, as its cheap then upgrade the parts as they wear/break (It will be mostly used for vermin/fox so good accuracy with resonable cost is my aim). I do intend on reloding other calibers, i have a 6.5x55 on my ticket but i thought i would start off with the smaller caliber, and hopefuly cheaper loading to play around with (the principle i assume will be the same).

I'm looking for a speer manual at the moment, dose it mater if its not the latest revision??

Thanks again.

Azman

the it wont matter if its not the latest one but the newer one will have more info and be more uptoday on loads and stuff.

nostler do a good one to

For a .223 reloading might not be the cheaper option !

Reloading is more to tune ammo to your rifle than cheap. If you want cheap then mil surplus might be the cheapest option followed by brands like ppu and american eagle.

You really do talk rubbish sometimes, are you trying to kill the guy!

There is little or no .223 Mil surplus, it is 5.56 which will fit but is over pressure for .223, unless of course you can find some original shit 5.56 mil spec. But you are unlikely to know so don't **** about and don't use it!!

Best zip it when you don't know what you are talking about!

WOW ! You have put it down ! :wankerzo4:

Can all the folk who have used .762 and 5.56 please raise what is left of their right hand !!

I have shot 7.62 in a .308 and 5.56 in a .223 and NEVER had a blow up or seen anyone else using it have a rifle blow up.

Has any one ????? I have seen a pistol blow the chamber across the firing point but no rifle blow.

Edited by coldweld
  • Like 1

Right, regarding the 5.56, it is a well known and much publicised fact that 5.56 in a rifle chambered only for .223 is potentially dangerous and is not to be recommended.

7.62 in 308 will work just fine - 7.62 has lower pressures than .308.

I'd have thought you'd have known that?

Article on such things Here

Edited by Mr_Logic

5.56 nato mil surplus is designed for 5.56 chambers and are stamped as such also throat lenghts are different enough to cause problems.

now 7.62 mil surplus is ok in the 308 chamber as the pressure is as stated lower and for some people you dont do a lot of range work is the easy option for a days plinking but dont feed 7.62 nato chambers 308 spec loaded ammo it not safe pressure is higher in 308 than 7.62

Hi When you have finished giggling :boxing: @ the children on here arguing with each other, :wallbash: go ahead with buying your Lee stuff (the anniversary kit if you can find one) BUT whatever you do save enough money to buy the LATEST edition of Modern Reloading by Richard Lee (Midwayuk.com) read ALL of it, then read it again, then get on with your reloading, you will enjoy it. :clapper: ATB Ned

The lee kit WILL get you by, but if your serious about making quality ammo then you WILL need to upgrade whenever you find your feet.... the lee modern reloading book is excellent as is the hornady handbook of cartridge reloading, and if new to it i also suggest the A'B'C's of modern reloading....

take your time, if possible get someone close to you who reloads to show you the steps, its not rocket science, but can be dangerous. if mistakes are made...

good luck.

Snap.

Hi When you have finished giggling :boxing: @ the children on here arguing with each other, :wallbash: go ahead with buying your Lee stuff (the anniversary kit if you can find one) BUT whatever you do save enough money to buy the LATEST edition of Modern Reloading by Richard Lee (Midwayuk.com) read ALL of it, then read it again, then get on with your reloading, you will enjoy it. :clapper: ATB Ned

AGREE 110%

• Like 1