Increase in load pressure

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Logic , If you want the least chance of fluctuation then electronic scales are the way forward.

Lyman or rcbs .

I packed up using beam scales about 4 years ago as there are to many chances of not quite getting every load perfectly the same. I now use a Chargemaster.

It's very good i can not say it is better than the new lyman as i have not used one, But the rcbs has no warm up time , can store load data is fast and can be set to auto.

Don't know where they thought up the price though ! Made in china for about £20 max .

I can now load at least 4 times faster so can do about 100 rounds in the time it used to take to load 20.

Edited by coldweld

Got what looks like pressure signs with some very moderate loads of other stuff.

Remembered I had Winchester 55gr factory load (just the one!) left in the cabinet - so fired that into the ground in the garden, absolutely fine. Made a 43gr H414-based load into that case, and tested that too, also fine. New brass to be ordered tomorrow!

hi guys,

intresting read this thread lots of things been done and tried but no mention of triming to lenght,

would seriouly suspect that the cases need trimming to lenght espicially as been used in a different chamber.if long in the throat you may get away it but seems your new howa has a tight chamber so case pinching bullet during expansion backed up a bit as new factory ammo which is to lenght works ok the ordering of new brass will cure the problem until case lenght grows again.

graham.

hi guys,

well me thinks you have fallen into a classic reloading trap if you have trimmed the cases looking in my speer manual 44grains of h414 is max load now if this is used in a loose chamber ie more case expasion then it is probally shooting as safe in that chamber . but now you are using the same load in a new chamber in the howa and hey presto we have pressure signs as the case expansion is less so more pressure and hence pressure signs just one reason you should be wary of useing someones elses data for your gun or borrowing a round it might chamber ok but that is only the start of a bad chain reaction. always start lower and work up. also as an aside most ball powders react a lot more evenly when used with a magnum primer over a standard or br primer

graham .

some people relaod different. most people i no work up till they get presure signs or stiff bolt then they back off to find sweet spot.

once that is sorted they have a go with col to find sweet spot again.

i think it can get to much and sometimes be happy with what you got. otherwise your spend more time doing different loads then using the barrel for vermin control.

if your target shooter then thats a different matter :toast:

Got what looks like pressure signs with some very moderate loads of other stuff.

Do you have access to a chronograph? If so compare the MV with that given in my other posts. Let me know the exact MV and I can back work QL to give me the chamber pressure and then work up a load to give you a suitable MV for deer and safe chamber pressure. Or you could fill a fire formed case with water and let me know the weight in grains of the water, that way QL is very accurate.

John

The 43gr load was chronoing around 3050-3075, getting more variance than I would like also. 22" barrel likely explains the velocity loss.

But I did try that very same load (same COL, same case length, same powder charge, same primer) in a Winchester case (only have 1 right now, 200 more are on their way!) and I didn't get so much as a stiff bolt. It's still very odd...

The 43gr load was chronoing around 3050-3075

.243, 80, Sierra SPBT Blitz 1515 driven by 42 grains of Hodgdon H414 with a COAL of 2.640" & a case length of 2.044" will produce a mild load with a MV of 3060 fps which is not deer legal! 42.5 grains will produce a mild load, MV of 3095 fps just deer legal. 42.8 grains, MV 3116 fps. 43 grains 3130 fps. MV is approx +/- 10% at the very most.

John

Edited by HUnter_zero