Who shoots with / over a dog

Just curious as to who shoots air riles over / with a dog. What breed and how do they perform, I have tried to shoot with my brothers Spaniel over and over again and it's a bit of a nightmare when you are stalking / crawling. (He's great on a beat or game shoot, I think I might be expecting too much)

Cheers,

Belly

I shoot scemmies (ferrel) pigeons in the farm biuldings and use a terrier to retrieve them dead or alive.can't see how you would use a spanial other than find flush and retrieve and if you can shoot flushed quary with an air rifle you are a bloody good shot.So yes i think you are asking to much from yourself and the dog.atb.

My lurcher had his first two rabbits in conjunction with an air rifle. I was out lamping with a mate, and he shot one with his raider .177, and the pellet hit a fraction too low, just under the rabbits eye. The rabbit took off, and I slipped the dog and he caught it. He done the same thing a few nights later.

I don't do much air gunning these days, but if I started going out again with the lamp and rifle, I think I'd like to have my dog with me from now on. :thumbs:

Okay, I'm not a working dog man, but I can't see the point of using a dog in conjunction with an air rifle :hmm:

As said above, I understand that they could be used with a shotgun to flush and then retrieve, but with an air rifle the flushing is removed and as far as I see it, hunting with an air rifle is too slow a sport to require a retriever.

Although I suppose 'hily's idea would work quite well, but overall I don't see the point.

I have alway's taken my dog shooting with me ( Air rifle ), be it day or night for a no. of reasons. She walks to heel off lead and won't run untill i've pulled the trigger. With air rifles i don't care what you say NO-ONE will have a 100% succesfull kill to shot ratio, so the odd 1 that you wing is surely better off being taken by the dog rather than it going off to die in a warren ? Also at night you can lamp a few for them to keep them fit, agile, healthy and mentally stimulated. Why wouldn't you take your dog ? ( unless your dog is naughty and not well behaved ? )

Just curious as to who shoots air riles over / with a dog. What breed and how do they perform, I have tried to shoot with my brothers Spaniel over and over again and it's a bit of a nightmare when you are stalking / crawling. (He's great on a beat or game shoot, I think I might be expecting too much)

Cheers,

Belly

took me 2 years to do it with my dog and he has got it now best ever he can evan tell what gun i got ,take shot gun and he waits till i shoot or sits wating . take air gun and when i crawl he does and stops when i lift the gun up like i said in other post its all about time.

rather waste a year or more training and get 9 or more years out of my dog or carry on and have trouble for next 9 or so its easy. just takes time lots of it

Okay, I'm not a working dog man, but I can't see the point of using a dog in conjunction with an air rifle :hmm:

As said above, I understand that they could be used with a shotgun to flush and then retrieve, but with an air rifle the flushing is removed and as far as I see it, hunting with an air rifle is too slow a sport to require a retriever.

Although I suppose 'hily's idea would work quite well, but overall I don't see the point.

HI OTM i retrieve the birds with the terrier as she nips them if they are not dead +she can get in and out amongst the stock without disturbing them i don't leave the dead birds to rot and attract more rats i dispose of them away from the farm biuldings i dont use the spanials as i dont want to spook the stock and also their is the possibility that the flapping wounded may cause the spanial to become hard mouthed hope this makes sense atb

I have never seen a dog shoot a rifle, and they dont make very good bipods as they move too much!

I've heard of a horse that shoots though. It was called Trigger:oops:

Phantom

mnine will only shoot the airarms S410 as its a 10 shot not leant it to reload yet there is always one piss taker on here

use all my dogs for all sorts of hunting... ferreting, airgun and shotgun aswell as on their own...my patterdale is long since retired at sixteen but im using my 5 yr old russel and 14 mth russel lakeland...very good alrounders and im 100% sure that id not see half the quarry about if i went out without the dogs...