Nightvision Question

I'm currently using a cheapy Bresser Nightvision monocule from Lidl's when out with the dog to spot Rabbits at a distance rather than lamping the field. At the moment I use it to spot a Rabbit then turn it off and put it in my pocket before turning the lamp on(as you can guess this takes a little while). When I turn it off you can still see through it for a few minutes before it dims and then goes black.

I know strong light source's will damage the tube inside but is this only whilst it's turned on? can I turn it off then immiediatly turn the Lamp on? or am I best putting it in my pocket away from the light?

Any advise would be apprieciated,

Cheers

Luke.

In your pocket fella.

I'm no expert but I do some reading on the subject elsewhere and the reason you can still see through it after turning the unit off is as the tube is still charged. My guess is that light will damage it in that state so I'd be very careful with it around light for at least 10 minutes after turning it off.

I might be over doing it there, but better to be safe than sorry.

(PS) if it came with caps I'd use them also.

Edited by JohnGalway

As soon as you turn it off you should put the lens cap back on. Or are you saying you just turn it off and dont put a lens cap on it at all? My understanding depending upon the tyoe and quality of the tube is not so much that it does damage to the tube but reduces the lifespan of the tube quite alot.

Thank you Dave,

I usually take the cap off once in the fields then it doesn't go back on again until I'm ready to leave. It's a metal screw thread type so makes a fair noise when being screwed on or off, so just isn't practical to use it during a lamping session.