is pheasant shooting with air rilfe legal

cheers lads i will just keep it cool with the keeper etc and see what comes of it for the time being

nice one just listen to what people on here say dont forget you get seen by police or anything you lose your rights to a licence for life not worth it for a few birds is it

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cheers lads i will just keep it cool with the keeper etc and see what comes of it for the time being

i go with my ferets and dogs next to a shoot and always phone the keeper night before its nothing to do with him but my dogs have only got to cross on to his and thats it always best to be safe

i always thought it was illegal to shoot them with an airrifle. learn something new everyday. i do agree though its ridiculously easy to shoot pheasent theyre thick as shit and stand around waiting to get shot. if you do shot them maybe limit it to what you and your friends will eat if you start selling loads then the keeper etc will prob get wind of it and be pissed off. i know i would be!

i always thought it was illegal to shoot them with an airrifle. learn something new everyday. i do agree though its ridiculously easy to shoot pheasent theyre thick as shit and stand around waiting to get shot. if you do shot them maybe limit it to what you and your friends will eat if you start selling loads then the keeper etc will prob get wind of it and be pissed off. i know i would be!

Wait til later in the season once they've wised up a bit, then try stalking them through woodland. That can be some very challenging shooting using an air rifle! Having said that, you can put a feeder out and ambush them off it very easily but theres no sport in that :no:

The unwritten air rifle rule......... :D

Yes very effective in the right area, windy nights looking up at the tree's for the dark lump in spinneys. :)

Game birds should be hunted with a shotgun of appropriate gauge, cartridge size for the conditions, the species of bird that is to be hunted and skill of the shooter should also be considered when selecting the weapon and ammunition.

As you know have respect for your quarry, that means hunting and dispatching it in the correct way. Some people mock the traditions and protocol of game shooting in a modern shooting environment but they are there for a reason.

In short, don't shoot pheasant with an air gun. It is both cruel, disrespectful to the quarry and offensive to the practice of game shooting as a whole.

The unwritten air rifle rule......... :D

Yes very effective in the right area, windy nights looking up at the tree's for the dark lump in spinneys. :)

Game birds should be hunted with a shotgun of appropriate gauge, cartridge size for the conditions, the species of bird that is to be hunted and skill of the shooter should also be considered when selecting the weapon and ammunition.

As you know have respect for your quarry, that means hunting and dispatching it in the correct way. Some people mock the traditions and protocol of game shooting in a modern shooting environment but they are there for a reason.

In short, don't shoot pheasant with an air gun. It is both cruel, disrespectful to the quarry and offensive to the practice of game shooting as a whole.

you are right there mate they are birds to be shot with the shotgun nice to see some one here that thinks the same

It is both cruel

How exactly? I'm not condoning or condeming shooting them with an air rifle just can't see how It's cruel dropping them with a head shot :blink: Seems more about ethics to me than cruelty.

Maty j, sorry i didnt mention head shots with an air rifle, but i bet my bottom dollor that many will go for the wing, body, even the neck, watching the bird run for cover not to be found and die.

Leave game birds to the shotguns.

I'm no shotgunner - too expensive and noisy for me so I stick to the pellet guns but as most sports men will rightly say head or neck shots are still lethal and I can't see any respectible sports person just clipping the wing to get them down. Body shots you'll f**k the meat up. Shit does happen and you sometimes fluff shots but I'm sure we all go for a clean kill no mater what gun we shoot. I've helped out on driven days and you still get runners with the shottys - Bet you get less with the air rifle shooting by moon light but theres no money In that for the keepers or land owners :D

I'm no shotgunner - too expensive and noisy for me so I stick to the pellet guns but as most sports men will rightly say head or neck shots are still lethal and I can't see any respectible sports person just clipping the wing to get them down. Body shots you'll f**k the meat up. Shit does happen and you sometimes fluff shots but I'm sure we all go for a clean kill no mater what gun we shoot. I've helped out on driven days and you still get runners with the shottys - Bet you get less with the air rifle shooting by moon light but theres no money In that for the keepers or land owners :D

Airguns and shotguns there's plenty of people out there who do a very good job at maiming game birds with the shotguns as well, they don't always drop. Confidence, plenty of practice and a little fieldcraft come into play here with both types of weapon.

If you ain't sure then don't take the shot.

I don't want to start to let this thread get to a level of classes, we all should be sticking together, the tools of the trade may differ but the job we are doing is the same we are all equal....

We had a huge debate on this on the pigeon watch forum, it went on and on.........

:D

Edited by artic
It is both cruel

How exactly? I'm not condoning or condeming shooting them with an air rifle just can't see how It's cruel dropping them with a head shot :blink: Seems more about ethics to me than cruelty.

yes mate but you no how easy they are i think i could shoot one with the old gat gun we had haha how is the hunting going i can see there is the helicopter over yours now is it you

I dont think it is fair shooting the game keepers hard work. this said however i have shot around 5 pheasants in all the time i have been shooting air rifles. Later in the season they are tricky to stalk as they have terrific hearing so sporting yes. Also a head shot to a pheasant drops them no problem! I dont see a problem taking one or two every now and then to put in the pot. dont go crazy and kill every pheasant you see and abide by the keepers comment but dont shoot them out of season just when they are a little wiser. tasty shooting

yeah ive shot a couple as a nipper but like you say theyre basically someones property and i know most of the keepers round my parts its not really on shooting them they loose enough as it is through traffic poachers fox etc theres no woods round where i can shoot so the only time i see em is on the farm down silage pits and round fields they never seem to be very clued up no matter what time of year to be hounest theyre just especially useless when first let out. infact the best shot of my life was a pheasent i say best it was more like the most fluke. managed to nail a flying pheasent with a webley nemesis pistol. it took off from behind me i swung round and let off shot and it came down! was like a john wayne movie! : )