is pheasant shooting with air rilfe legal

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't actually know much about pheasants and the law, but I've been led to believe that they're still relatively scrawny just a week after release, you need to give them time to fatten up otherwise whats the point?

Although I'm sure someone who knows a lot more about it than me will come along soon and help you out.

they are flying about and not runners look really big and i 'found' one the other evening and it is about the same size as a medium chicken when plucked , i was just wanting to know if it legal to shoot them while roosting as if so i think i am goin to need a truck and prob a bullet proof vest from neighbour game keeper

it is legal but its a good idea to check with your land owner first. Some people will let you some not. its also good to remember that those birds cost someone time and money and you sniping everything that crosses your boundary will not endear you to the keeper next door!

i have one place where they want all the birds cleared out and kept out all year round as its a riding stables and they have caused a couple of falls in the past by spooking the horses. Other people wont have them touched or they are reserved for landowners family's shooting, other dont care, it is pretty rare to find them being treated as a pest though but it does happen.

in the right conditions stalking pheasants with an air rifle can provide some challenging, sporting, shooting although theres little sport to be had if they are half tame and just out of the pen. in my opinion, head shots are a must too.

Happy hunting!

i have a piece of land only maybe about 3 acres out the back of a friemds house with 2 horses in and a few big oaks in bottom of it and on a night they must be atleast 500 pheasants roosting he says as long as i sort him out with a few i am ok to shoot them there is a river in between the farmers land and they cross the river on a night and the other side of the river there must be thousands of them but obv that not my land so they safe ;)

i have a piece of land only maybe about 3 acres out the back of a friemds house with 2 horses in and a few big oaks in bottom of it and on a night they must be atleast 500 pheasants roosting he says as long as i sort him out with a few i am ok to shoot them there is a river in between the farmers land and they cross the river on a night and the other side of the river there must be thousands of them but obv that not my land so they safe ;)

Cant shoot game after sun down

In season, on permission with permission, would be my take on it. Nothing illegal about taking them with an air gun unless they're lamped. I'd agree with Tyla's post above. :thumbs:

Cant shoot game after sun down

I thought you just couldn't shoot them with a lamp? :hmm:

id check kev mate with the land owner ....reason being if the farm next door has just released them they are probably been bred for a shoot on which people have to pay ...if the game keeper who released them catches you shooting them it might cause problems with the 2 neighbours and in turn cause problems for you on your permission so if i was you mate its probably best to check 1st

atb gary

If i was that keeper and you were pinging my pheasnts off at roost i'd be damned sure to find a way to get you kicked off that lil bit of permission ;) Why not try finding out who the keeper is and go get some beating and have some birds and get paid for it. :)

i went for a walk round tonight and came accross the game keeper walking the oposite side of the river so i went across and spoke to him about the pheasants and he said for me just to leave them be for a couple of months and wht is left after the season i free to get but i bet my bottom dollar there gunna be some wise birds by then, he said they been out since 1st week in oct and there approx 1500 birds let out in this area and they only expect to take 800 birds so that must leave a few birds obv foxes etc to take there share but they can always be sorted out , cheers for the info lads and i he also said that if the birds aint on there land there not a great deal they can do about it but he did have a big german shepard and a rotti cross and 3 labs with him along with a o/u shotgun so i not goin to find out what they can do about it for now and just keep them sweet

atb kev

they are flying about and not runners look really big and i 'found' one the other evening and it is about the same size as a medium chicken when plucked , i was just wanting to know if it legal to shoot them while roosting as if so i think i am goin to need a truck and prob a bullet proof vest from neighbour game keeper

they are easy to shot mate they never run away or nothing find some thing harder to shot one thing i will say they cost money and the game keeper weather its his land or not will not like it and will do some thing about it is it worth losing good shot for other things just for them

i went for a walk round tonight and came accross the game keeper walking the oposite side of the river so i went across and spoke to him about the pheasants and he said for me just to leave them be for a couple of months and wht is left after the season i free to get but i bet my bottom dollar there gunna be some wise birds by then, he said they been out since 1st week in oct and there approx 1500 birds let out in this area and they only expect to take 800 birds so that must leave a few birds obv foxes etc to take there share but they can always be sorted out , cheers for the info lads and i he also said that if the birds aint on there land there not a great deal they can do about it but he did have a big german shepard and a rotti cross and 3 labs with him along with a o/u shotgun so i not goin to find out what they can do about it for now and just keep them sweet

atb kev

what he is telling you is leave them till end of season then you cant shoot them by law can you

They are legal to shoot with an airgun, on some land I have permission on I'm not allowed to shoot pheasants because of the shooters who rear them for their cindicate, on some other land that I ferret on I'm allowed to take what I want for my own consumption as payment for keeping the rabbits down :D

You need permision off the person who owns the shooting/sporting rights, which may not always be the landowner or farmer, and stick to the season of 1st October till 1st Feb.

And if your sussed shooting them at night, it will usually not go down too well mate, plus illegal if using a lamp. Hope this helps ;)