football pitch

hi all, i live in buckinghamshire but go to school in oxfordshire (watlington) and near the school is a rec and football and cricket pitch and it is full of rabbit activity, loads of scrapings, crap, runs etc and i was down there for our schools cross country race/run thing we do and literally 20 bolted into the hedge just 15 or 20 yards infront of us they are so used to humans, now i want to shoot there,

firstly i need to phone oxford county council?

also should i draw up a risk assesment just saying about misses , riccochets etc causing risk and put that the safety precautions that i will put in place is, shooting at dusk and night, put signs up on all entrances warning of shooting taking place, and only taking a shot if the pellet will stay in the confines of the field.

another thing i was considering is snares but decided against that when i saw a cat bolt some rabbits from the corner of a pitch into the hedges.

in 15 by the way and am insured with BASC and already have a permission letter i send round to landowners.

any help would be appreciated but i think i got it all covered, just want someone to tell me if i got anything wrong or missed anything out.

cheers.

I've got a few places liek that round here that I'm interested in doing the same, but they're definitely council owned, but some people I have talked to reckon there's no point asking as councils tend to be VERY H&S 'aware' (stupidly so) and so are probably more inclined to hire a professional than let someone else on.

But anyway, first I would say make sure it's definetly council owned, then it would probably be a good idea to approach the local council before the county council (I don't know, but Watlington is a big enough place to probably have their own council for them and the surrounding area) as they're more likely to look and consider than say "Nah" and throw it in the bin.

Also, if you do it via letter, you'll have to sound very professional and I would offer in the first letter to draw up a risk assessment than do it first, as likeliness will have it that they don't know much about shooting, and you don't want to make it sound more dangerous than it is.

Oh, and you'll probably have to lamp only; not in daytime, at least the one local to me people walk their dogs around, play tennis, football, rugby, there's often at least one person there, and if there isn't someones gonna come round in the next ten minutes.

Would be mega surprised if you got permission, if its council owned then its a public place so H&S issues are sky high. But stranger things have happened :o , keep us posted ;) AH

will do. but you say about public place, i think it is davy that has permission in a cemetry, surely thats a public place.

Would be mega surprised if you got permission, if its council owned then its a public place so H&S issues are sky high. But stranger things have happened :o , keep us posted ;) AH

will do. but you say about public place, i think it is davy that has permission in a cemetry, surely thats a public place.

some cemetery's are actually locked at night, it may pay to PM Phantom, he does a "graveyard " shift

I think the best way would be to put a complaint in first about the vermin and ask them to let you know what they are going to do about it. A lot of councils will not employ permanent pest control any more so will not do anything unless they are getting a lot of complaints. If they do nothing offer to do it for free.

hi all, i live in buckinghamshire but go to school in oxfordshire (watlington) and near the school is a rec and football and cricket pitch and it is full of rabbit activity, loads of scrapings, crap, runs etc and i was down there for our schools cross country race/run thing we do and literally 20 bolted into the hedge just 15 or 20 yards infront of us they are so used to humans, now i want to shoot there,

firstly i need to phone oxford county council?

also should i draw up a risk assesment just saying about misses , riccochets etc causing risk and put that the safety precautions that i will put in place is, shooting at dusk and night, put signs up on all entrances warning of shooting taking place, and only taking a shot if the pellet will stay in the confines of the field.

another thing i was considering is snares but decided against that when i saw a cat bolt some rabbits from the corner of a pitch into the hedges.

in 15 by the way and am insured with BASC and already have a permission letter i send round to landowners.

any help would be appreciated but i think i got it all covered, just want someone to tell me if i got anything wrong or missed anything out.

cheers.

evan if you egt the permition of them to shoot there 9 witch you want by the way) you will need to phone the police to tell them your going there or they wil come with armed officers and you want like that and it will fk your shooting life up

yeah i was planning on doing that, i need a referance number dont i then they wont coe out if called.

belive me mate they will come out

Evening All

Being a local Council Officer we too have problems with rabbits on playing fields, seing as I can easily control them myself I am not allowed as said in previous replys above all about legalities H+S issues etc etc, I have to employ a Pest Control company to sort them out.