Removing Tiddlers

Guest vimto.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The SST is a very good designed projectile ;) Here`s a heart shot that was taken yesterday from approximatly 60 yards and the beast ran on another 50 odd yards..

0052.jpg

I have had mixed results with clients using them either NO expansion or a BLOW up.

I no longer allow ANY plastic point unless client is going to keep the beast!!

Snap - I think you have hit the nail on the head here - you use the correct weight of bullet head for deer when using the 243. I expect your M/V is around the 2900 mark.

There is a chap not far from me using a 55gr in his 243 - his M/v must be up around 3700 - he has no option but neck/head shots. The 55gr was designed for small game like foxes in the 243

How about the 55gr winchester silvertips? according to the advert where they won best

rifle cartridge in the SHOOTING INDUSTRY AWARDS 2009 in the sporting gun magazine

"is suitable for both fox and vermin control and lowland deerstalking"

55grsilvertips.jpg

Now i know this may make me sound like something of a weirdo, but i really like loking at bullets that have been dug out of the animal, the way they mushroom,i find, very interesting......Get some more pics up chaps.....I have a few, but i need to find them.....JD

Here is a 70grn hollow point that I took out of a Roe that was shot by a chap I took out,I was under the misapprehension that he was using 100grn soft points.I must say I would never let him use them again as there was massive meat damage to both of the Bucks he shot as you can see,and,the bullet weight after was 23grn which means that there was an awful lot of copper and lead that has smashed through the carcass and contaminated the meat........bad news!

DSC00141.jpg

DSC00143.jpg

You can see here where the bullet had come to a rest next to the spine....

DSC00142.jpg

and the bullet.........

IMG_16830001.jpg

IMG_16850001.jpg

Here's another one that I shot a Buck with,I actuallu used Foxdroppers rifle with 100grn soft points,it was a slightly quartered shot(right front on)and the bullet was taken out of the near side haunch,so it just goes to show how easy it might be to get a bullet lose it's accepted tragectory,and,end up anywhere in the carcass.Sorry but I didn't weight this one,but,as you can see it lost hardly any weight,and,the Buck ran on about 5 yds...........

DSC_0001-5.jpg

DSC_0002-13.jpg

Martin its preciesly this reason why i will not allow clients to use plastic/hollow points UNLESS they are buying the carcass.

I cannot argue that they kill deer very effectivley BUT at the expense of massive damage and unreliable over expansion.

I nearly always have my dog breeze and runners rarely go to far.