Shooting rats in a barn

HI all

I've just got some new permission for lamping rabbits with the dog and my BSA Ultra :D

I was talking with the owner of the farm who says it's overrun with rats :angry: :sick: I have shot quite a few rats in farm buildings before but I think I can get a good haul at this place so i want to be as efficient as i can! I've read a few tips online, some say leave the dead rats there and the others will come to investigate, others say that they will be put off by the dead rat being there!anyone got any tips for me so I can clear up here??They dont have to be about leaving rats there or not, just any tips will be welcome. Im going to bait an area for a few days before i get down there and hopefully leave a light on if the farmer lets me so the lamp doesnt scare them off

Cheers

Rich

HI all

I've just got some new permission for lamping rabbits with the dog and my BSA Ultra :D

I was talking with the owner of the farm who says it's overrun with rats :angry: :sick: I have shot quite a few rats in farm buildings before but I think I can get a good haul at this place so i want to be as efficient as i can! I've read a few tips online, some say leave the dead rats there and the others will come to investigate, others say that they will be put off by the dead rat being there!anyone got any tips for me so I can clear up here??They dont have to be about leaving rats there or not, just any tips will be welcome. Im going to bait an area for a few days before i get down there and hopefully leave a light on if the farmer lets me so the lamp doesnt scare them off

Cheers

Rich

the way i have shot rats before is a couple of tins of sardines anything like that make a couple of holes in the top and stake it firmly to the ground make sure the rats cant pick any food to take back to the nest,holes only big enough to let scent and oil out and when they start licking the tin pick them off,have fun

the way i have shot rats before is a couple of tins of sardines anything like that make a couple of holes in the top and stake it firmly to the ground make sure the rats cant pick any food to take back to the nest,holes only big enough to let scent and oil out and when they start licking the tin pick them off,have fun

Cheers mate, great tip, il let you know how it goes ;)

Pick a good spot where you can stay for a while without having to move, see how it goes with a dead rat near the bait, it you don't have any luck move it!

I'll keep an eye on this thread for some tips as i'm in virtualy the same position, going to do a few sheds where I used to see a lot of rats. I normally just mouch around with the lamp on but i want to try baiting. Does anyone know how long do i need to bait for before i take the gun up?

Japesy

same as above with the sardines. a tin of dog food with a hole in it to allow the juices to run out works well. basically anything they have to lick, not pick up and run off with. failing that mate.........

SEND IN THE DOGS!

:thumbs: