• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pork certainly carries a large amount of fat (one of the highest amongst the usual mammalian meats). But that said, fat does not affect dogs the way it does humans.

It certainly won't clog their arteries, and in fact fat provides more than twice the calorific density compared with protein and carbohydrates. In other words, a gram of fat provides the same or more energy than 2g carbs or 2g protein.

Dogs are designed to utilise fats as a primary energy source. Check out a book such as Small Animal Clinical Nutrition for a good breakdown of the digestive process.

Cheers,

Lee

ive always been led to believe that veg was needed to complete the diet.

if not its going to make feeding my dogs alot easier.

you do need veg but green tripe will provide enough veg for yer dog , as long as its fresh and not washed , and whare will you get this kinda tripe nowadays ? i dont know , i know about 40 folks who work in a slaughter house and can they get green tripe out ! can they f**k , so if you can get yer hands on that stuff yer lucky and its probly shady and no doubt not to be trusted , this is just my op , ive always wonderd when feeding barf instead of puting veg in would i get off with a wee drop of cow shit or sheep shit ? afterall the b***%*d dogs always eat this stuff when out working , :unsure:

you do need veg but green tripe will provide enough veg for yer dog , as long as its fresh and not washed , and whare will you get this kinda tripe nowadays ? i dont know , i know about 40 folks who work in a slaughter house and can they get green tripe out ! can they f**k , so if you can get yer hands on that stuff yer lucky and its probly shady and no doubt not to be trusted , this is just my op , ive always wonderd when feeding barf instead of puting veg in would i get off with a wee drop of cow shit or sheep shit ? afterall the b***%*d dogs always eat this stuff when out working , :unsure:

Another unsubstantiated, sweeping claim. WHY do you "NEED" veg? What damage does an absence of veg do to a dog? (hint: none)

How does the dog metabolise veg? (very poorly or not at all)

What part of the natural (wild) diet is made up of veg? Don't say stomach contents - they don't eat it! See Dr Mech for more information - here's a couple of quotes from his work as a wolf ecologist (he spent his entire career observing and studying wolves in the wild).

"Wolves usually tear into the body cavity of large prey and...consume the larger internal organs, such as lungs, heart, and liver. The large rumen [which is one of the main stomach chambers in large ruminant herbivores,]...is usually punctured during removal and its contents spilled. The vegetation in the intestinal tract is of no interest to the wolves, but the stomach lining and intestinal wall are consumed, and their contents further strewn about the kill site."

Mech, L.D. 2003. Wolves: Behavior, Ecology, and Conservation. pg 123 (emphasis added)

Or how about:

"To grow and maintain their own bodies, wolves need to ingest all the major parts of their herbivorous prey, except the plants in the digestive system."

Mech, L.D. 2003. Wolves: Behavior, Ecology, and Conservation. pg 124 (emphasis added)

As you're stating that dogs NEED veg, and that this entire requirement can be fulfilled by eating tripe (and its contents) - I would be interested in your rebuttal to these quotes from an eminent zoologist/ecologist. Do you have any accredited sources who can reject these quotes with any authority and validity, or just more sweeping statements? Dogs have ZERO requirement for carbohydrates, sugars or starches (fruit, veg, etc), and in fact their presence can be detrimental. Fructosaccharides and other sugars and carbs feed cancer cells, and a dog's entire dietary intake should ideally compose only carcases, raw meaty bones, offal etc.

As for feeding them cow/sheep shit - wtf? :11: No need at all for this, though I daresay when they DO help themselves to a dose, it provides innumerable beneficial bacterium. No harm in it, but it's certainly not something you NEED to add to the diet (thank feck haha).

Phil, a whole carcase or RMB/offal diet will provide EVERYTHING your dog needs. Forget the veg, like you say it's much easier!

Stabs, great pic mate - can't beat them pigs heads for exercise!

Great craic people, it's always interesting to have a good debate about diet and nutrition :yahoo:

Guest big brad

to sum it all up if your dogs are looking well and working well you are obviously doing fine i use a decent complete feed and add hearts raw veg raw chicken and cod liver oil pills and the bottom of the bowl shines every meal time

Guest moomin300uk

Rainmakerkennels you know your stuff... I followed your advice and advice for other barf feeders PL and Roz And my dogs are In much better shape now there turds are small and tight just one a day! there coats are shinny and soft at the touch and the terriers breath dose not stink like turd... I have been feeding Chicken carcases, chicken mince, Lamb ribs/spines,liver ends lambs and ox hearts.. And what ever eles i get my hand on I also have saved a small amount of cash with my raw diet.. I was even thinking Putting my lasses cats on to a barf diet has they seem to be keen to on rabbit skins and heads little buggars ran into the house with one...

cheers rainmaker.if what you say is right,and you seem to know your stuff it will save quite a bit of time not having to shred veg up.

i feed pigs heads and trotters to the dogs sometimes but their main food is chicken carcasses and wings.after that they get alot of raw meaty bones of all sorts.

In my part of the world dogs even eat bananas! and they like it very much. just as carrots (raw) tomatoes (raw) kiwi (the fruit) and I think its becouse WOLVE'S eat all kind of berrie's, nuts, mushrooms etc etc, just as bears do and badgers etc etc.

Of course when you give a kenneld dog meat, and nothing but meat.. he only eat meat.

Give you the ingredients of puppie food pellets from Hill's science plan: chicken, turkey and fat, GROUND MAIZE, DRIED BEET PULP, GROUND RICE, OAT FIBRE, CARROTS and a lot of suplements.

Most of the puppie and adult dog food, contents more veg's then meat, and I dont think that the producers of this food (or other trade marks) are nitwits.

when i let my dogs out into the garden they will head straight for the herbs,fruit and will strip the pea line.not sure why but they do like to eat certain foods.

the border terrier we have will eat nettles,loves them.weird but true,but then she is the most greedy dog ive ever known.

Trust me, its NATURAL BEHAVIOUR MATE! :11:

Give you the ingredients of puppie food pellets from Hill's science plan: chicken, turkey and fat, GROUND MAIZE, DRIED BEET PULP, GROUND RICE, OAT FIBRE, CARROTS and a lot of suplements.

Most of the puppie and adult dog food, contents more veg's then meat, and I dont think that the producers of this food (or other trade marks) are nitwits.

Tell me you're not serious? With respect, do you really know that little? If that's what you truly believe, and don't want to learn any different, I can't find anything further to say :wacko: :no:

Another unsubstantiated, sweeping claim. WHY do you "NEED" veg? What damage does an absence of veg do to a dog? (hint: none)

How does the dog metabolise veg? (very poorly or not at all)

What part of the natural (wild) diet is made up of veg? Don't say stomach contents - they don't eat it! See Dr Mech for more information - here's a couple of quotes from his work as a wolf ecologist (he spent his entire career observing and studying wolves in the wild).

"Wolves usually tear into the body cavity of large prey and...consume the larger internal organs, such as lungs, heart, and liver. The large rumen [which is one of the main stomach chambers in large ruminant herbivores,]...is usually punctured during removal and its contents spilled. The vegetation in the intestinal tract is of no interest to the wolves, but the stomach lining and intestinal wall are consumed, and their contents further strewn about the kill site."

Mech, L.D. 2003. Wolves: Behavior, Ecology, and Conservation. pg 123 (emphasis added)

Or how about:

"To grow and maintain their own bodies, wolves need to ingest all the major parts of their herbivorous prey, except the plants in the digestive system."

Mech, L.D. 2003. Wolves: Behavior, Ecology, and Conservation. pg 124 (emphasis added)

As you're stating that dogs NEED veg, and that this entire requirement can be fulfilled by eating tripe (and its contents) - I would be interested in your rebuttal to these quotes from an eminent zoologist/ecologist. Do you have any accredited sources who can reject these quotes with any authority and validity, or just more sweeping statements? Dogs have ZERO requirement for carbohydrates, sugars or starches (fruit, veg, etc), and in fact their presence can be detrimental. Fructosaccharides and other sugars and carbs feed cancer cells, and a dog's entire dietary intake should ideally compose only carcases, raw meaty bones, offal etc.

As for feeding them cow/sheep shit - wtf? :11: No need at all for this, though I daresay when they DO help themselves to a dose, it provides innumerable beneficial bacterium. No harm in it, but it's certainly not something you NEED to add to the diet (thank feck haha).

Phil, a whole carcase or RMB/offal diet will provide EVERYTHING your dog needs. Forget the veg, like you say it's much easier!

Stabs, great pic mate - can't beat them pigs heads for exercise!

Great craic people, it's always interesting to have a good debate about diet and nutrition :yahoo:

you just need to look at a dogs habits to see that what its doing its doing for a reeson , ie eating grass and cow shit and sheep shit rabbit shit birds shit ! when wovles make a kill or wether they are eating carion they might not eat the contents of the gut purly because they have been eating this veg up untill they find meat to eat ! i know its un founded and i know i havent put it into context with fancie words n all that shit but i do belive ime right , i think its unsafe to say not to feed veg when its only the advice of one man and his studys on wolves , can this man and does this man watch every single wolve 24 hours per day and can he acount for every single thing each wolve eats in a days mooching ???? i know this is irelivant but but have you ever herd of eskimoes eating only meat ? these folks eat the the veg from the inside of ranedeer ? do you think the pigmys in the rain forests only eat fruit although this is a big part of there diet , meat is what they crave and hunt for but frute and veg falls from the trees so its a stable part of there diet they also gut there quary and emty the contents away ???? o and i must add this is JMO :signthankspin: