Not sure why you would feel uneasy faced with a 20stone red and a .243, you have the power to put him down at 500-600 yards if you have the right ammo and can shoot straight!

Without going off topic too much, just wondering how many Stags you have shot? and if you have shot any with a .243 and if you have shot any with a .308 ?

I'd not recommend shooting the big boys with the .243" you are simply just under gunned IMHO, yes if you hit the spot you'll kill the beast but compare the results with that of a .308 and believe me, you'll not bother with the .243.

It amazes me how many people are hung up on the .243" as if they haven't got anything better to use, the .243" is just deer legal and most have a twist rate not suited to heavier bullets as in reality the .243" is a long range varmint calibre.

John

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure why you would feel uneasy faced with a 20stone red and a .243, you have the power to put him down at 500-600 yards if you have the right ammo and can shoot straight!

Without going off topic too much, just wondering how many Stags you have shot? and if you have shot any with a .243 and if you have shot any with a .308 ?

I'd not recommend shooting the big boys with the .243" you are simply just under gunned IMHO, yes if you hit the spot you'll kill the beast but compare the results with that of a .308 and believe me, you'll not bother with the .243.

It amazes me how many people are hung up on the .243" as if they haven't got anything better to use, the .243" is just deer legal and most have a twist rate not suited to heavier bullets as in reality the .243" is a long range varmint calibre.

John

John you are off again..Chill out..that is your opinon which you are perfectly entitled too, it would seem that I have shot deer with a lot more calibres and a lot more types of ammo than you have. But nice to see you are agreeing with what I have already said about the .243/.308 situation and shot placement!!

What is this daft phrase ..the .243 is Just deer legal...simple fact is, it is either legal or it isn't, greater powers have decided it IS ...end of...and it is still far to much gun for a Roe in my opinion!

It amazes me how many people are so hung up on .308 for deer and want to have a go at the .243, am I telling you all to use a .243..... NO...if it doesn't work for you then fine, use something else but please do not suggest I and others can't handle ANYTHING in this country with a .243!!

Your experiences suggest you are not happy with .243, absolutely fine, but your experiences do not necessarily hold true for everyone. I have been shooting for over 40 years with a large variety of tools in a lot of different situations, nearly 10 years of which I was a shooting coach. Simple fact is I can shoot reasonably straight on the whole, plenty on here better than me I know, but that is why we come to different conclusions sometimes, we are all different and have different experiences!

My .308 comes out as required for deer (the situation, NOT the power), and I very rarely find a job where it is my first tool of choice, those are the circumstances I find myself in, they may well be different to yours for whatever reason as you are apparently a deer stalker and manager and I am a deer remover!

Just another opinion, based on my experiences out in the field, try and remember other people do have, and are entitled to an opinion!!

ATB! :thumbs:

Edited by Deker
hi. does anyone use a .270 for deer stalking. Is there alot of meat damage with this caliber? Im thinking of geting one. thanks. Mo

Home Office guidelines to police, (of which the police seem to take lttle or no notice) state that while .243 meets the legal criteria for large deer, .270, 308 or 30-06 are to be preferred as they allow the use of a heavier (<150gr) bullet. .243 is optimal for Muntjac, CWD and Roe.

Just out of interest, the recommended mimimum for wild boar is .270, 30-06 being recommended. An irritated cow is one thing. 40 stone of profoundly pissed-off pig coming at you at 20mph with murder and mayhem in mind is a rather different proposition. As I have said before, I am not able to speak from experience but it seems to me that if you are likely to be able to shoot Fallow, Red, or Sika then go for the .270. That way if you do ever get a chance to shoot boar you will be tooled-up ready.

Ric

Edited by RicW
How many stags did you remove last season Deker??

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, even you, and if you are not happy with a .243 don't use it, I find it strange that everyone who promotes the larger calibres appears to suggest they are all knowing and the .243 is not up to the job.

Very few who use a .243 chastise anyone for using a larger caliber, do what makes you happy but kindly do not suggest I cannot put down a Red Stag with a .243!

I have both, use what I need and find it very strange, in the light of comments from others, that EVERY time I hit any deer with a .243 if falls down, I don't even have to chase a corpse around the field!

Someone once told me, anyone can break an egg with a sledgehammer, but a little spoon is better if you tap it in the right place!

John

i have shot 3 red stags in my stalking career. One was with a 243 and it took two shots to kill it. I supose i am just not confident in the 243.. im not saying in anyway that i think the 243 is not capable of killing a stag.. it just has to be in the right hands.. i dont think i am experienced enough to diliver very accurate shot placement which i think is needed when using a 243 for reds..(i can put 4 shots into a 4 inch circle) and as said the 270 does seem to be more forgiving. Maybe after that first stag i just lost confidence in the caliber for biger animals... but bottom line is i would rather use a biger caliber and put that deer on the ground with the first shot. I would hate to injure an beast and loose it.

Edited by mubz2cool

If you're not confident in your shooting, then stick with a bigger gun. I'd still say .308 though, not a lot it can't handle.

I'd like to stay out of the 243 vs red deer debate, but hey ho... My thinking here is thus - 243 will happily enough kill a red stag with the correct bullet. Of that I have no doubt, and if I was headed to someplace to shoot a red (curse Berkshire for not having any) and all I had was a 243, I would load it with 100gr SPs, get it shooting right, and confidently head out to knock over said red stag.

However... If I were shooting them regularly, or if I was accompanying someone on such a shoot (and that applies if the majority of my deer shooting was at species > roe), I would take something bigger. Personal preference only - I would personally feel more confident having something that is definitely and 100% up to the job than having something that will do the job with the right shot placement - sometimes, which is much more likely if doing it regularly, you end up with a less-than-perfect shot, and in that situation I'd much prefer to have a bigger gun, for the animal's sake and my conscience.

Please note, this is my personal preference, it seems logical to me, but in no way am I telling someone else what to do.

i have shot 3 red stags in my stalking career. One was with a 243 and it took two shots to kill it.

I mainly shoot reds, it makes a change for me to shoot roe or fallow to be honest. Now I love using the .243" on roe! The .243" will kill a red, I have done it but it's just on the edge and IMHO not adequate for a large beast. The .308 or .270 will take anything that the UK has on offer, far better to be "over" gunned than act like a total to$$er and be under gunned. As you say, it really knocks your confidence when things go wrong. The .243" has it's place in my stalking and that is for use on roe, which IMHO the calibre is superb.

John

I`m patiently waiting for the Deer removers response to my question :D

But your quite right Logic because you have no experience or authority on the subject your mouths better kept shut ;)

I have a right to an opinion, and you know, what my opinion agrees with you this time round, so WTF is your problem?

PS. if the main reason you want a .270 is trajectory, you will find the .243 trajectory better than a .308!

A .260 rem has a better trajectory than a .243 !! :boogie:

And better bullet choice !

P.S Do you also recommend .243 for 300m sika stags ?? :whistling:

Edited by coldweld