I am sorry to say but nearly every heart & lung shot with me runs on it may only be two yards or can be as far as fifty,

I don't think you need to be sorry!

Heard a couple of keepers talking about some Sika they had shot and both had run. They found them, one on top of the other.

To quote them: "If you shoot a deer in the heart/lung and it goes straight down, you are using the wrong rifle or bullet"

I must admit i shoot most of my deer either neck or head up to 100-120 yards as long as you have a good rest for your rifle, and you know what you can do with your rifle, if you can place 3-5 rounds into the size of a penny at 100 yards then its up to you. because when i see them any further than that i stalk up to them until there in range, or get them another time, because there's nothing worse hart/lung and they run, ok you find them dead but i prefer the way i do it and i have some mate's who just dont agree but thats up to them.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi. does anyone use a .270 for deer stalking. Is there alot of meat damage with this caliber? Im thinking of geting one. thanks. Mo

Wow!!!!!

You guys are funny!!!

Down under the 270win has had a great following for many years. It is the min. cal. for Sambar Red Chital Rusa Fallow and elk. Whilst .243 is min. for hog deer. In my extensive experience with this cal. it will smash fallow and reds. It too is on the larger side of the spectrum of cals. for fallow as it does cause meat damage due to its velocity(balistic or hydrolic shock.)It does seem to punch straight through in most instances and would not use it on smaller game than this. Its pros are great longe range flat and fast.

hi. does anyone use a .270 for deer stalking. Is there alot of meat damage with this caliber? Im thinking of geting one. thanks. Mo

Wow!!!!!

You guys are funny!!!

Down under the 270win has had a great following for many years. It is the min. cal. for Sambar Red Chital Rusa Fallow and elk. Whilst .243 is min. for hog deer. In my extensive experience with this cal. it will smash fallow and reds. It too is on the larger side of the spectrum of cals. for fallow as it does cause meat damage due to its velocity(balistic or hydrolic shock.)It does seem to punch straight through in most instances and would not use it on smaller game than this. Its pros are great longe range flat and fast.

The way i see it, it's were you place the bullet, i agree it's to much rifle for the deer i am shooting just now, but when i go for Reds i think it does a good job! i use to have a .243 and did not feel confidant with it when i came up against Reds with 100gr ammo, it might just be me because i know stalker's that do just fine with there .243's, it,s down to the person behind the rifle, it's like me shooting neck and head shots up to 100-120 yards, i have mate's that do nothing but heart/lung shots and we have conversations about it all the time, it's up to the individual and confidant in your shooting skills.

I use a Browning 'A' Bolt in .270Win for stalking, and have done for about 10 years.

The .270 it has to be said is not the most popular cartridge around, but I have found it to be excellent,

my rifle is very accurate with my reloads, for deer I use mostly 110gr Nosler Accubonds on 59 grains of R22. This kills woodland Roe like a thunderbolt, I also use 110gr Vmax for Foxes these shoot to the same point and I have yet to have a runner, most look like they've been in a kitchen blender!

As to meat damage this is I think a myth, it's bullet choice that makes the difference, clearly I load my own so I can pick the projectile, as an aside only a couple of weeks ago my friend shot a small Roe with his .243 and it ripped it to bits, so that goes against conventional wisdom.

I really like and trust my .270, it's plenty of rifle alright but I recommend it thoroughly, you can take on anything in the UK with confidence, and be sure of clean kills on the rest.

AF

I use a Browning 'A' Bolt in .270Win for stalking, and have done for about 10 years.

The .270 it has to be said is not the most popular cartridge around, but I have found it to be excellent,

my rifle is very accurate with my reloads, for deer I use mostly 110gr Nosler Accubonds on 59 grains of R22. This kills woodland Roe like a thunderbolt, I also use 110gr Vmax for Foxes these shoot to the same point and I have yet to have a runner, most look like they've been in a kitchen blender!

As to meat damage this is I think a myth, it's bullet choice that makes the difference, clearly I load my own so I can pick the projectile, as an aside only a couple of weeks ago my friend shot a small Roe with his .243 and it ripped it to bits, so that goes against conventional wisdom.

I really like and trust my .270, it's plenty of rifle alright but I recommend it thoroughly, you can take on anything in the UK with confidence, and be sure of clean kills on the rest.

AF

My thoughts to mate, have the same rifle, for approx the same amount of time to, i have loaded 110gr v-max,59gr of Vihtavuori N160 but as yet not tried them out, i have a 80 rounds of 140gr ballistic tips to fire and they are also very accurate, 3 shots under 1/2" at 100yards, and before i start on 110gr i want to fire off 140gr ammo because i dont want all kinds of ammo here there and everywhere, so will wait until there gone. How do you find the 110gr ammo? i have a mate that say's the v-max 70gr through his 243 has very good results, very accurate and when he hits Charlie its like a landmine going off.