• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm happy shooting what i have, and the deer don't run the just fall down... :D

Snap.

I wish! this girl ran 200 yards with no heart!

roe.jpg

I'd be real happy if all my deer dropped on the spot. It's also worth noting the size difference between Vimto's reds and this roe.

John

Edited by HUnter_zero
Nice to see the corpse i mean carcass opened up to correctly cool John ;)

Shot the doe back last January (this year has flown by), I normally forget a camera especially this time of year when leaving at 3am :)

After the gralloch I opened the carcass with a set of new spreaders that Mrs HZ got Santa to leave under the tree. The steam given off even from a small roe was quite a sight but there was a very cold wind that day. I prefer to hoist the reds to gralloch (if I can) but the carcass never seems to cool as well. I have a lovely little set up that didn't cost much to put together, 2x climbing ropes (donated by a tree surgeon) 1/2 tonne pulley donated by a garage that was closing and a 1/2" diameter gambrel. I know this can not be done on the hill, but in the woods the gralloch falls out lovely and clean, and so do I :)

John

( who is in a real quandary now..... do I want a pair of Swarovski 8x30's for stalking????????????????? )

Quote: do I want a pair of Swarovski 8x30's for stalking????????????????? )

No John you want Leica :D you`ll remove more Deer,lol ;)

Tiss' not that, I have a chance to swap something I never use for a pair of 8x30's (which I'll never use :) )but I'm a little worried over the low light performance of 8x30's.

Well off topic, sorry ;)

John

A mate of mine has 10x30 swar and i have 7x 42's slc if i was to buy again the size and very little optical difference would make it a hard choice.

But if i was offered the swap for something that i did not use it would be an easy choice .

Is it possible to try them first ?

[P.S Do you also recommend .243 for 300m sika stags ?? :whistling:

I, as you probably know use a .243 100g for all, Reds, Fallow, and Roe

I consider my self a fair shot, being an ex army officer.

However I have never shot at a deer, or a fox for that matter at any more than 150 yds.

Field craft is more important than range, and we should all try and get within out realistic limits, than try and be pro snipers!

H

Having seen a lot of poor shooting/bullet placement from recreational stalkers using the .243, when i have been taking folks out stalking on the open hill in scotland, i wouldn't recommend it for shooting reds. Roe and fox it is great, i shot my first roe doe with a .243 but i would never own one. The rifle of choice where we were based was the 25-06...nicely in the middle of the 243 and 270. Ideal knockdown on red, roe, sika and of course the estate foxes too :D I still shoot mine 10 years on and love it.

The big gun argument is ok but i've seen a red hind get shot with a .300 win and that bugger stood right back up again!!!

Go down a shooting range and try a few, grab a nice 25-06 and give that a go as easy to shoot as a .243 without the stupid smash you get from a .270 ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi Guy's i shoot .270 and never had a problem with meat damage, homeload 140gr balistic tip, neck shots but its up to you, can only say myself i have had no problems, bought 100 vmax 110gr heads going to give them a go, best of luck mate what ever you buy, they will still be someone say'n you should have bought bla bla bla good luck..

hi. does anyone use a .270 for deer stalking. Is there alot of meat damage with this caliber? Im thinking of geting one. thanks. Mo

If this helps mate this is one of my targets shot at 100yards with my .270 with 140gr ballistic tips, if you can try one out you will like it, i use mine for everything, if you wish send me a pm, hope this helps you out.

post-43958-126038409042_thumb.jpg

Always tend to neck shoot my deer mate, if heart lunged they tend to take a few steps and keel over...

ATB.

Snap.

I am the same neck or head shots, a lot of people are against it, but i think its up to the person if he knows his rifle and what he can do with it, i am sorry to say but nearly every heart & lung shot with me runs on it may only be two yards or can be as far as fifty, and if there near a wood if you do not have your dog with you, you have a c--t of a job to find it.

I am sorry to say but nearly every heart & lung shot with me runs on it may only be two yards or can be as far as fifty,

I don't think you need to be sorry!

Heard a couple of keepers talking about some Sika they had shot and both had run. They found them, one on top of the other.

To quote them: "If you shoot a deer in the heart/lung and it goes straight down, you are using the wrong rifle or bullet"

Edited by rjimmer