177 vs .20 in sub 12 ft lbs

Hi looking for any advice at all on what cal to get at sub 12 , as im splashing out £1400 notes on a rapid s-type and equipment id like to be sure first time , its for hunting small game , i already own a 22 hw77k. I cant decide but .20 cal is very tempting as there are a few types of goood pellets now.

I would go for .177 first as there are a greater selection of "good" pellets to choose in light and heavy config. There are not that many "good" .20 cal pellets in the lighter range, I can think of only hnft as the main stay. By good I'm meaning a high bc and accuracy past 30yds. Remember that hnft run at only around 685fps for 12ftlb@11.45gn.

There are several more which are more suitable for fac and these would be barracuda, premier and jsb.

I'm not knocking .20 cal as I have one already and recently had the option of a .20/.177 cal rapid, I chose the .177.

At the end of the day it's your choice and trajectory wise the .20 cal sits in between the two other calibres.

I would go for .177 first as there are a greater selection of "good" pellets to choose in light and heavy config. There are not that many "good" .20 cal pellets in the lighter range, I can think of only hnft as the main stay. By good I'm meaning a high bc and accuracy past 30yds. Remember that hnft run at only around 685fps for 12ftlb@11.45gn.

There are several more which are more suitable for fac and these would be barracuda, premier and jsb.

I'm not knocking .20 cal as I have one already and recently had the option of a .20/.177 cal rapid, I chose the .177.

At the end of the day it's your choice and trajectory wise the .20 cal sits in between the two other calibres.

Ive never fired a 177 before how do they handle 10.5 grain pellets like bisley mags does the trajectory go like a 22

I spent a ling time shooting .177 and .22, now I ONLY shoot .20 there are many pellets out there but there are some excellent ones.

Oh and why spend that much on Theoben and kit when you can have a daystate and not pay an excessive mark up (plus dont think Theoben have moved on since BT left). Your choice, enjoy whatever gun you get.

the 10.5 barracudas and similar will have a trajectory very similar to a light .20 cal pellet.

On the other hand a light .177 pellet (prems, jsb) will be better, typically zeroed at 40yd, drop to 50 would be 1.5 to 2", an inch high at 30 and bang on at 12 yds with normal height mounts.

As said above .177 is all you need on the right spot.

The trouble is with a .177 and the reason that I stopped using them is that although they have a fantastic trajectory, far too many times I would hit a rabbit with a headshot for it not to drop it. At first I thought this was a one off, changed pellets and still found it to be a problem. I do a whole load of vermin shooting with my airgun and so ended moving to a .20. It has made a huge difference. I honestly struggle with the idea that people still use either .22 or .177 for hunting. I know you can't account for personal taste/preference and it would be boring if we were all the same but this is just about cold facts. Just about all the serious shoters I know who hunt seriously with their airguns have moved to .20. I appreciate the availibility of .20 guns is a factor, I had to preorder mine.

I personally believe there's no one perfect choice of calibre, each one of them carries advantages over the others in certain areas, and disadvantages in others. This debate will forever echo on in the world of airguns! :D

Not sure I even understand the question....12 ft lbs. is 12 ft. lbs. .... caliber makes no difference.

Hello Aaron. I think he is referring to the velocity, trajectory and energy transfer of the calibres when shot through a sub 12 ft lbs rifle. :thumbs: atb John

i have said it before and will say it again !!!!!!!!!!!

shot placement over calibre everytime !!!!!!

cheers

sean

p.s..... .20 pellets are not widely available and cost a lot more than either .22 or .177

You can pick up 500 JSB .20 pellets for less than £10. About the same as good .22 pellets. I predict that in a few years the .20 will be the most popular caliber in sub 12ftlbs, if all airguns don't require a FAC by then.

fair comment, but not every shop sells .20 because its not very popular.

and i'm affraid i disagree................ .22 and .177 will always be the top cailibres ( which one is top, is another question) simply because of the number of existing guns and the avaiability of new ones ( in .20)

but hey, time will tell !!!!!!

atb

sean