Cracking flight this morning

I've been watching a stubble field now for over a week, there have been between 400-600 greylag and canada's feeding on it. Now the problem was i've only got permission on fields 2 fields away, now depending on the wind i could get under them but i feel they would have been too high to shoot them so i never bothered.

Anyway last night i stopped to talk to a mate i'd not seen for a while, we got talking and i mentioned the geese on the fields and he said he'd got permission to shoot on them and if i wanted to go we'd have a go in the morning. Arrangements we made and what a fantastic morning we had.

We met up at 5.40am and walked to the field just 200 yds from my house and got hidden in some bracken in the hedge bottom for the short wait for them to arrive. We were only there 10 minutes when we started to hear mallard flying about 2 came to within range and we both had a shot at them, i connected with my shot and dropped a mallard hen. My mate missed with his shot. 2 minutes later a 5 others decided to come within range and i had a single shot and dropped a mallard drake. I picked both ducks from the stubble field and got back in position to wait for the geese. We didn't have long to wait the tell tale sound of flighting geese came from the distance, we had a quick look from over the bracken and we couldn't believe our eyes they we lined up perfect for us but we a bit high. We decided to let these pass unhinded hoping the ones behind would be low enough, we wern't disapointed a skein of greylags came over us approx 30yds up and we dropped a single bird each. We after that skein they just didn't stop coming we picked our shots just shooting at birds well within range as we were using heavyshot and at over £1.30 a cartridge we didn't want to miss many lol.

My friend was getting really pissed off with his shooting as he wasn't hitting any after his first bird, anyway i offered him my gun to see if he shot any better with mine. It worked and he managed to shoot a couple before it was decided we'd shot enough. I don't like shooting to many i prefer to leave them for another day. The mornings bag was a brace of mallard, 8 greylags and 4 canada's. We were actually shooting for just under an hour and back home having a cuppa for 6.45am... The geese were still dropping in the field as we left and were still flighting in at 9am this morning, if we choose we could have shot at least 50 this morning but thankfully niether of us are greedy and we were more than happy with what we had shot.

This was the best mornings sport i've ever had, all the geese we clean kills and all were picked. It was just one of those days when everything went just right. I've paid to go shooting geese in scotland in the past but i've not enjoyed it as much as i did this morning..

We are hoping to have another go at them later in the week. Then we'll leave them alone..

26102009320-1.jpg

Well done Mally, do you eat them?

Yes mate, i just remove the breasts and seal them in the frying pan then cook them in the oven. I then serve them with roast tatties and roast parsnips and carrots along with a bramble and port sauce.

Well done Mally, do you eat them?

Yes mate, i just remove the breasts and seal them in the frying pan then cook them in the oven. I then serve them with roast tatties and roast parsnips and carrots along with a bramble and port sauce.

Hey mally,

Try soaking them in beef broth and milk for about an hour . Than throw on the grill and cook medium to medium rare.... makes a great beef steak.

I've been watching a stubble field now for over a week, there have been between 400-600 greylag and canada's feeding on it. Now the problem was i've only got permission on fields 2 fields away, now depending on the wind i could get under them but i feel they would have been too high to shoot them so i never bothered.

Anyway last night i stopped to talk to a mate i'd not seen for a while, we got talking and i mentioned the geese on the fields and he said he'd got permission to shoot on them and if i wanted to go we'd have a go in the morning. Arrangements we made and what a fantastic morning we had.

We met up at 5.40am and walked to the field just 200 yds from my house and got hidden in some bracken in the hedge bottom for the short wait for them to arrive. We were only there 10 minutes when we started to hear mallard flying about 2 came to within range and we both had a shot at them, i connected with my shot and dropped a mallard hen. My mate missed with his shot. 2 minutes later a 5 others decided to come within range and i had a single shot and dropped a mallard drake. I picked both ducks from the stubble field and got back in position to wait for the geese. We didn't have long to wait the tell tale sound of flighting geese came from the distance, we had a quick look from over the bracken and we couldn't believe our eyes they we lined up perfect for us but we a bit high. We decided to let these pass unhinded hoping the ones behind would be low enough, we wern't disapointed a skein of greylags came over us approx 30yds up and we dropped a single bird each. We after that skein they just didn't stop coming we picked our shots just shooting at birds well within range as we were using heavyshot and at over £1.30 a cartridge we didn't want to miss many lol.

My friend was getting really pissed off with his shooting as he wasn't hitting any after his first bird, anyway i offered him my gun to see if he shot any better with mine. It worked and he managed to shoot a couple before it was decided we'd shot enough. I don't like shooting to many i prefer to leave them for another day. The mornings bag was a brace of mallard, 8 greylags and 4 canada's. We were actually shooting for just under an hour and back home having a cuppa for 6.45am... The geese were still dropping in the field as we left and were still flighting in at 9am this morning, if we choose we could have shot at least 50 this morning but thankfully niether of us are greedy and we were more than happy with what we had shot.

This was the best mornings sport i've ever had, all the geese we clean kills and all were picked. It was just one of those days when everything went just right. I've paid to go shooting geese in scotland in the past but i've not enjoyed it as much as i did this morning..

We are hoping to have another go at them later in the week. Then we'll leave them alone..

26102009320-1.jpg

Good for you mate well done.? Is it true you can shoot canada geese with an air rilfle.atb.Catcher :thumbs: