rifle cal?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To help you choose, look at it like this....A few things to consider before you buy....

1. How well do you handle recoil? That will give you some idea of what sort of round you want. 6.5x55 (gentle) or .30-06 (quite punchy).

2. What species do you plan to shoot? Well, you've said Fallow, Sika and Red. They're big Deer, so it's probably best you don't go for anything too small (I'd count out .243 personally. It will do the job but something bigger would be better).

3. Ammo availability? Check around your local dealers to see what they stock. If they don't stock it then it's not ideal, if they don't want to get it and stock it for you then it's even worse! Discount this point if you plan to home load.

4. Guns available? If you go for something weird/rare, how many rifles come in that calibre. More importantly how do the ones that are available suit you? Do you like them? Are they comfortable/affordable?

5. Do you ever plan to shoot in Europe? Some countries have a ban on military calibres so if you think there's a chance you may want to travel, scrap .30-06 and .308!

6. What ranges do you plan to shoot over? If you're likely to be going for quite long shots a calibre with a loopy trajectory may make your range estimation more critical. Something that gives you more margin for error would be helpful, although not essential.

If you consider all of these points you may well find your choices get a lot more limited. That in turn makes it easier to pick one. If I was picking a rifle and could only have one I'd go for a .270. Non military, popular, flat shooting and hard hitting. The only down side is they aint gentle! Good luck.

The best thing would be to make your way across to East Yorkshire and have a go yourself,that is an invite, my rifle is a standard out of the box Tikka 595

that Ive owned for a few years now and still produces very tight groups,

DSC00008.jpg

the boxes are 10mm squares @100m,I was out zeroing my 7mil and a shared .243 and this was 1 shot from each rifle

P8150121.jpg

Edited by DeerNut

Well I got out with my new (to me) Sako 75 in .308 today to Kerry.

I received the license last Tuesday and collected the gun, fitted the mounts and scope on Wednesday, and went to the range on Thursday to zero. Using Federal Fusion 150gr I was getting at best ragged holes, and worst 1" groups @100. Zeroed @175m ish to give me 1 1/2" high @100m and 1 1/2" low @220m. So 3" point blank range out to 220m.

The rifle is a Sako 75 varmint with the heavy flutted barrel that came with the laminated stock. The stock was swopped out for the Sako synthetic stock that has been pillar bedded, other details are a threaded barrel and a custom bolt knob. I bought this gun second hand from a dealer @€800, Sako Optilok mounts and 2 sets of rings (1" + 30mm) second hand @€80, Bushnell Elite scope second hand @€180

Off to Kerry today with Dwighet and within the first 20 minutes 2 small Sika (yearlings is that the correct term?) ran up in front of us. One stopped to look back @50m and she saw no more. The Sika took 3 steps and dropped. Again using the Federal Fusion 150gr. It's jointed and in the freezer now.

So I'm well pleased with the 308. I also got a Gunslinger from the US to help carry the gun and it made light work of the 8.75lb gun and scope. The scope is a Bushnell elite 3200 4-12x40 and I found it did the job well.

So Collin get yourself here to Kilkenny and you can give this one a try out. I must say the recoil was very little from this gun. 7mm-08 poo har.

firstshotwiththeSako308_1nov09.jpgfirstshotwiththeSako308_21nov09.jpg

Edited by clivej

well done clive, i'm very jealous that you's were out and got a deer, but i'm also delighted for you's! was hoping you's would get a deer or two! i am looking to trying out your new rifle! you got a great deal on that rifle! i have the beer for you and dwight! was your adrenaline rushing when you seen the deer mate?

I was walking along trying to put in my ear plugs, holding my gloves and shooting sticks when they ran out ahead of us. I still think that it's like Dwighets shoot as he was here for years and said for him to take the shot. He said off you go to me. So I drop all the bits but set up the tri-sticks and get on target and bang. You can see the bullet hit just behind the shoulder.

My heart was thumping all right and I was sure I had the kill.

But when Dwighet got to where we thougth the Sika fell there was no sign of it. Quick look around and still no show. My heart dropped. We walked on just 5/6 meters more and there it was in a small shallow stream running along by the track.

Happy Clive.

So out with the knife and I did the gollock (first time for it) and I didn't do a bad job of it either.

So that was my second kill, I got my very first Sika when out with Dwighet about this time last year but now I have my own gun to use.

Collin I'm very happy with the gun and must say I didn't notice the recoil at all.

When are you coming down to stay with dwighet?? I hear that caddy van of yours will be loaded down with beer.

Last years first kill. I shot the top Sika Doe and Dwighet shot the other one both with Dwighets CZ 65x55

PosewithFirstDeerkillBest.jpg

Edited by clivej
The best thing would be to make your way across to East Yorkshire and have a go yourself,that is an invite, my rifle is a standard out of the box Tikka 595

that Ive owned for a few years now and still produces very tight groups,

DSC00008.jpg

the boxes are 10mm squares @100m,I was out zeroing my 7mil and a shared .243 and this was 1 shot from each rifle

P8150121.jpg

What is the meat damage like with the 7mm8 like on smaller deer? I have been told the .308 causes less damage than a .243 as it is a slower bullet but as I understand the 7mm is faster than the .308.

Thanks

What is the meat damage like with the 7mm8 like on smaller deer? I have been told the .308 causes less damage than a .243 as it is a slower bullet but as I understand the 7mm is faster than the .308.

Thanks

With a 140gr partition usually the entry is 7mm and the exit is the size of a £2 coin through flesh,bone etc,Ive shot a few deer and if Ive been with a spectator they've quite often mentioned how fast the deer go down,also with the little recoil I quite often see the bullet pass through the deer,which is good!!!

I was chasing a very badly injured deer around and when I spotted it I was out foxing so my rifle was loaded with 120gr V-max and this was the exit the entry was just behind the front leg on the other side the deer it was near on looking straight at me about 100yrd shot and it was stone dead bout the same time it hit the floor, notice the antlers on the buck a clear sign of injury,and the twisted smashed leg probably a road accident,

Badleg.jpg

This is a deer that I shot with a 140gr partiton,see what you think!

Edited by DeerNut

Yorksjt, Yes its my duel rifle 100gr Hollow-points@3100fps

120gr V-max@3050fps for the foxes,

140gr Partitions@2850 for the deer and all within 10mm@100yrds :icon_eek:The deer on youtube isn't the same one as above the one on youtube is a 95yrd neck shot.

Edited by DeerNut