rifle cal?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jim, Have a look on here,

http://sed88.tripod.com/rem7/

read some of the guest book,Ive shot some real good groups with my rifle have a look and see what you think.DN. :clapper:

well deernut,

have to say that is a great link! that through a spanner in my works! :cry:

i have plenty of time now to do all my research now and alot to cover!

again lads thanks a milloin for all your advice anh help! i will let you's know wat i buy!

Well Collin how are ya keeping. Dwighet has you hooked Ha HA HA after only one stakling outing.

I got my letter of license granted and for payment for my sako 75 in 308 last week so with a bit of luck I'll have the license this week.

I will try to get the scope mounted and zeroed ASAP and then it's off to Kerry for the Sika stags and Red/Sika does on Sunday with Dwighet if all goes well.

Your more than welcome to try the 308 anytime you can get to me, the range or Kerry.

When you down this way again heard you getting the beer in, put me down for 10 boxes.

CJ from KK

Edited by clivej

I was in the same boat a few months ago.. what cal etc etc. In the end I made a list of all the cals that I thought suitable and went looking for a rifle, which meant I had a much larger choice (i bought used). I found a lovely stn/syn sako 75 in 243 for a very good price so went with that :clapper:

As has been said all the cals mentioned will take deer, it comes down to your personal choice at the end of the day.

My license came in the post today and I collected the Sako 308 this morning. I have put the scope on and I'll zero it at the range on Thursday so I'm good to good. And if Friday's OK Dwighet and myself will be in Kerry at first light.

Collin I chose the 308 because there is plenty of choice of bullets and it's a big round. I thought why get someting smaller. Everyone talks about the do's and don'ts, the what's and the why's, and so forth. So I just went for the biggest round that was popular.

I was in the same boat a few months ago.. what cal etc etc. In the end I made a list of all the cals that I thought suitable and went looking for a rifle, which meant I had a much larger choice (i bought used). I found a lovely stn/syn sako 75 in 243 for a very good price so went with that :clapper:

As has been said all the cals mentioned will take deer, it comes down to your personal choice at the end of the day.

cheers mate! im just doing alot of reading and going looking and pricing at the moment!

i have seen alot of second hand rifles, but i'm not to sure to buy new or secondhand!

i have found that applying the same sort of common sense to buying used rifles as most things helps alot. Buying blind is a different matter of course and i would always want to look over something before commiting unless i trusted the buyer..... 4 of my 5 rifles were used and are all brill, plus if you ever want to sell it on you wont take the big hit you would with a new one.

hi lads,

i'm just woundering if you's could help me out? i live in ireland and want to get into deer stalking!

i've been out looking at at lots of deer rifles and cals from .243 right up to 30.06!

everytime i looked at a different rifle in a different shop i was told that one was crap, this is what you want, there to powerfull,to dear, bullets are to expensive!

my head is wrecked!! :realmad: so can anyone here go through the cal and give me the pro's and con's of each!

i like the 25.06 .270 and the.308! and what cal do you's wreckonmend?

PLEASE HELP before i lose my mind! :wacko: :no:

thanks in advance

Colin

You are likely to get as many comments here as from the dealers, and for a lot of different reasons!

I know little about deer in Ireland, what varieties do you have?

.243 and .308 are without doubt the most popular this side of the water and offer a lot of ammo choice and therefore options between them.

I have BOTH, and a .223 which I use without any problem whatsoever as appropriate! I consider a .308 too heavy for Roe (although they go with it sometimes) and massive overkill for CWD or Muntjac which are only the size of a medium/large dog!

Frankly I have no issues with a .243 for every deer, they all fall down when I hit them with one; if you only have the bigger deer then perhaps a .308, but if you have a variety of deer go .243 as this will open up the field better for fox as well!

You are likely to get as many comments here as from the dealers, and for a lot of different reasons!

.243 and .308 are without doubt the most popular this side of the water and offer a lot of ammo choice and therefore options between them.

I have BOTH, and a .223 which I use without any problem whatsoever as appropriate! I consider a .308 too heavy for Roe (although they go with it sometimes) and massive overkill for CWD or Muntjac which are only the size of a medium/large dog!

Frankly I have no issues with a .243 for every deer, they all fall down when I hit them with one; if you only have the bigger deer then perhaps a .308, but if you have a variety of deer go .243 as this will open up the field better for fox as well!

Deker

We only have Red, Falow and Sika here in Ireland. There are a few Mountjac but not many and they are to be shot on sight, no closed season for the Mountjac.

Deker

We only have Red, Falow and Sika here in Ireland. There are a few Mountjac but not many and they are to be shot on sight, no closed season for the Mountjac.

Frankly I'd still be very easy with a .243 but certainly an arguement for a .308!

The .243 is easy to shoot, actually my Rem 700SPS .308 is a pussy cat as .308 go, but some can be a little hard on the shoulder!

Fortunately, with my .223 as well, I have lots of options.

ATB!!!

Collin.......... 7mm08 How may time do I have to tell ya :wallbash:

If you get a 243 your not shooting Sika wit me again.....A rutting sika stag would laugh it off mate..

Now im just winding you up mate so relax all you 243 shooters....only mess`n

If you can get a 7mm08 seriously take it in to consideration...ballistically its better than the 308 and packs a lot more punch than the 243 and mild on the recoil....

Edited by dwighet
Collin.......... 7mm08 How may time do I have to tell ya :wallbash:

If you get a 243 your not shooting Sika wit me again.....A rutting sika stag would laugh it off mate..

Now im just winding you up mate so relax all you 243 shooters....only mess`n

If you can get a 7mm08 seriously take it in to consideration...ballistically its better than the 308 and packs a lot more punch than the 243 and mild on the recoil....

I know very little about this calibre. From what I understand they are all based on the .308 cartridge and the 7mm08 sits between the .243 and .308!

For some reason, not very common over here!!

Pretty sure I've never used one it but sounds like it's worth a look! :thumbs: