seems abit of a dumb question i know, but i was reading through some dog books awhile ago and under the history of loads of dogs, it says they were used to hunt boar. so why arent these dogs used today? just to give you an idea of the breeds, the book said that all these were used to hunt boar; weimaraner, vizla, pointers, ridgebacks, kuvasz, boxer, chien francais aswell as all the dogs used today. does anyone still use these breeds?

thanks matt

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pure breeds such as those are still used in continental Europe. The style of boar hunting over there is to use dogs to find and bay or drive to guns, so in essence they are still boar dogs, although very different from the style of hunting you see in Australia etc. The most common dogs I have seen in my very limited experience of boar work in Europe are Bayrischer Gebirgsschweisshunds which literally translates as Bavarian Mountain Bloodhound. They are also known as Posokowiec Bawarski in Poland. Another breed used is Goncy Polski which is also a type of "blood" hound. They aren't bloodhounds as we know them though. The Weimaraner is very popular boar and bear dog in Poland and they are called Wyzel Weimarski Krotkowlosy over there.

Guest BLUE BULL

Ive seen black nosed boxers worked on large game, including boar :yes: It shattered any illusions i had of boxers being daft and clumbsy, these dogs were fookin killing machines although they wasnt used for the dispatching of the boar.

A little off topic but you may find it intresting, A member of this forum, Use's his lake x patts for boar near his home in the ardennes :icon_eek: .

Edited by BLUE BULL
Guest saladtossa

in Aus, most doggers would use mongrels as pig dogs don't usually live long..purebred would be a waste of money and unlikely it would be game or have neccessary drive...dogs used vary depending on terrain hunted...common are the bull arab type- a mix of pointer, greyhound, bull terrier...american bulldogs are gaining popularity here and their genes are being mixed in to working lines...also popular are pitbull and pitbull crosses, bullmastiff cross dane, bull terrier cross kelpie or cattle dog...feral pigs fight hard so one would only purchase a pup from proven working lines...many dogs don't make the grade...imo the greatest pig dog breed in the world is the dogo argentino...these dogs are a banned import in some countries including Aus...the bans have no legitamacy as they are a fantastic breed misunderstood by uninformed legislators...there are some in Aus and there popularity is growing

Guest BLUE BULL
purebred would be a waste of money and unlikely it would be game or have neccessary drive...

Are doggos not a pure bred? Theres so many pure bred dogs that were bred for hunting i dont understand that statement?

feral pigs fight hard so one would only purchase a pup from proven working lines..

Yes i and just about everyone else would agree with you, However i have learnt recently of a few people who have taken rescue dogs from dog homes and got them working :clapper:. They did this with absolutely no idea if the dog would work or not and its highly doubtful these dogs were from working stock, which has made me think maybe its not just the dogs ability but the owners ability to get the best from his dogs! :D

Edited by BLUE BULL
Guest saladtossa

true blue bull, no doubt some pound dogs make great natural hunters, but hunting feral pigs with dogs is a different ball game...pigs are smarter than dogs, have razor sharp tusks and though the dog often wears protective gear they can take one hell of a pounding...one on one a boar will out match most dogs...a dog which can and will take a boar by itself is highly prized....breed is'nt relevant, not all dogs will withstand this type of hunting and go back for more...and you don't want a dog that will let go when you dispatch the pig because the pig will go you too...dogos are pure breed yes, though Australian kennel council dose'nt recognise them...purebred dogs here are mostly bred for the show ring only...purely for appearance and not for their original breed purpose...dogos in their homeland are still bred for working ability, performance...

Aussie feral pigs are about as tough as my Granny when compared to european wild boar mate.

ime no expert mate but surly you cant compare british wild boar witch have only been backin britain for a limmited time to auzzie ferrals witch have been doing the rounds for 100 years + there mean feckers.ide put my 2 bulls on a british boar if i came across one ..not likely neer me lol that an auzzie ferral ,,,,,bulls :ph34r:

Guest BLUE BULL

Im no expert either mate, however i have been hunting in Oz and seen the pigs and the way they are hunted, i take nothing away from the aussies they do it there way,My inlaws are aussies(Unfortunately no the wifes not a nurse) and when we visit the guns and dogs are the first thing the father inlaw gets out :icon_eek: :11: Joking aside his dogs are well trained from what ive seen and the pigs fight until they cant fight no more, but on the other hand i have been out with friends over here and the boar which im told are a russian strain were alot bigger and much more aggresive. Thats just my opinion based on what ive seen with my own eyes, im pretty sure theres someone with a different and more experienced point of view.

Edited by BLUE BULL

i'm far from an expert but here's my two cents. pure breds first... any dog no matter [bANNED TEXT] the breeding so long as the breed or breeds are suitable physiclly for the work will give a good account of itself on wild pigs if it's trained the right way. to say all purebreds apart from a dogo are only show dogs is a crock of shit, most purebred terriers,gundogs and stockdogs will give it a go if entered the right way and by a hunter that regularly catches pork. the pratice of crossbreeding dogs suitable for pighunting has gone on for centuries but the purebred dog still is out there doing it, alot of countries have dogs that are purebred now which started off as just mongrels, eg catahoula's. to state the pigdog must come from hunting lines is also a bit over the top, my last lot of pigdogs i bred was a kc boxer x a kc lab, this litter has produced a good number of working dogs that find very well, it's that finding abilitily and the willingness to go looking for a pig which seperates the good dogs from the useless ones, a hard as holder is not a pigdog in my book. find it quite funny how alot of aussies are happy to sing the praises of the dogo when ya only have a handful in the country{all ex new zealand}. and as for the european boar being harder to catch well thats [bANNED TEXT] the dogo was born and bred to do.

i'm far from an expert but here's my two cents. pure breds first... any dog no matter [bANNED TEXT] the breeding so long as the breed or breeds are suitable physiclly for the work will give a good account of itself on wild pigs if it's trained the right way. to say all purebreds apart from a dogo are only show dogs is a crock of shit, most purebred terriers,gundogs and stockdogs will give it a go if entered the right way and by a hunter that regularly catches pork. the pratice of crossbreeding dogs suitable for pighunting has gone on for centuries but the purebred dog still is out there doing it, alot of countries have dogs that are purebred now which started off as just mongrels, eg catahoula's. to state the pigdog must come from hunting lines is also a bit over the top, my last lot of pigdogs i bred was a kc boxer x a kc lab, this litter has produced a good number of working dogs that find very well, it's that finding abilitily and the willingness to go looking for a pig which seperates the good dogs from the useless ones, a hard as holder is not a pigdog in my book. find it quite funny how alot of aussies are happy to sing the praises of the dogo when ya only have a handful in the country{all ex new zealand}. and as for the european boar being harder to catch well thats [bANNED TEXT] the dogo was born and bred to do.

fair point kiwi, is there any particular reason you use boxerxlabs?

Guest Tonedog

Actually alot of the mongrel dogs in pounds are from working strains.

If we're talking australia especially, you see some mastiff or bull x looking dog it's pretty much guaranteed it's from pig dog lines.

There's not that many people breeding "bullmastiff/staghound x bullterrier/wolfhound" for fun.

Feral pigs in oz don't get as big as european boars but they're generally hotly bred for fighting off dogs by heavy persecution for the last however-many generations, and are exceedingly deadly for dogs, more so than some carefree wild boar in a meadow of wild flowers in europe.

No disrespect to the wild beast boars of the eurasian continent, but really the danger posed by "feral pigs" is sorely underestimated here.

There's feral pigs and feral pigs, much more significant than who their great great great great great(etc) granddaddies were (wild or domestic), what their more recent ancestors have been doing to survive lately plays a much greater role.

And the boars in oz have been fighting mongrel dogs for a long time and with great regularity and consistency, and as such they have many tricks up their sleeve and are practically sculpted by the demands of fighting dogs.

Guest BLUE BULL

In reply to lamping lurcher on your question to Kiwi,I can tell you boxers are Pretty much ideal, there fast runners, agile,excellent at jumping and bite quite hard too, i can only guess the lab provides the brains?

In reply to TONEDOG, Ive never been to a Aussie dog pound so cant comment on them, but i have been to plenty in england and there stuffed full of "unwanted" pets. A working dog of a decent grade has a price and therefore is more likely to be sold or passed on instead of being dumped.

What i said about feral pigs "my grannys tougher" was a more a joke than a statement mate it was lighthearted and not meant in any serious sense. As i said i have been to Oz and seen My inlaws dogs hunt, Ive also seen the scars and old armour thats been battered by the pigs so i dont underestimate them in the slightest. :no: As for euro boar being carefree sitting in a meadow eating flowers, what experience do you base that comment on?

Edited by BLUE BULL