• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have only one dog left out of that litter now, and he's off to a new home soon.they tend to hold more than bail. running a different pack thats made up of a pair of pups and a grey/lab/dane/working dog and a greyx. had to make room as i plan on training and just running my gwps next winter.

have only one dog left out of that litter now, and he's off to a new home soon.they tend to hold more than bail. running a different pack thats made up of a pair of pups and a grey/lab/dane/working dog and a greyx. had to make room as i plan on training and just running my gwps next winter.

bit of change eh? mate of mine has got a gwp, good pointer/retreiver but not quite quick enough for much english quarry. do you find them quick enough for what you hunt?

bit of change eh? mate of mine has got a gwp, good pointer/retreiver but not quite quick enough for much english quarry. do you find them quick enough for what you hunt?

don't think have been breed to course game, would be of no use to me having a gwp that bolted after game, they should be steady on all game, as an indicator/pointer. i allow my gwp's to hunt pigs but only once they are steady on birds and deer, easy as i have the land to train them on both. they make great pigdogs, fast strong with a wicked nose.

i heard the bull arabs were a favourite with the pighunters??? i was told they were a bull pointer cross?? find bail and hold all in one was the idea???? :)

bit of a mystery the bull arab, it's history seems to be like ned kelly, heard all sorts of stories. grey /pointer/bull where the breeds mentioned, some i have seen pic's of have english pointer and some have gsp blood, i like the look of he english pointer stuff myself, very easy to spot, and a dog i rekon could handle hunting in nz's bush. :hmm:

• 2 weeks later...

they just not av down under to try :hmm:in the past aussie and nz have just used the traditional english dogs to breed a dog that suits the enviroment and climate.only in the last few decades with the introduction of newer breeds has the type of dog changed. terriers have been used for years, the old fox terrier was the breed most used, hard to find a good one these days with the jack russell becoming more popluar, more as a pet as they are not suitable for pigs. the old type type foxy is similar to the german jagd, and i would say [bANNED TEXT] the "jack russell' used to be like before it changed shape and got smaller. dogs are like fashion as the breeds have come and gone in style most have been added in a pigdog mix, dobermans for instance, no different to the lurcher breeding that goes on in the uk, bull x seems to flav at the moment, the old breeds like colliex seem to get left out of the limelight but they still are there after the fad has changed.

they just not av down under to try :hmm:in the past aussie and nz have just used the traditional english dogs to breed a dog that suits the enviroment and climate.only in the last few decades with the introduction of newer breeds has the type of dog changed. terriers have been used for years, the old fox terrier was the breed most used, hard to find a good one these days with the jack russell becoming more popluar, more as a pet as they are not suitable for pigs. the old type type foxy is similar to the german jagd, and i would say [bANNED TEXT] the "jack russell' used to be like before it changed shape and got smaller. dogs are like fashion as the breeds have come and gone in style most have been added in a pigdog mix, dobermans for instance, no different to the lurcher breeding that goes on in the uk, bull x seems to flav at the moment, the old breeds like colliex seem to get left out of the limelight but they still are there after the fad has changed.

do you ever use terriers?

Gday All

been watching this topic for a while. And it really is a case of horses for causes where we hunt it is open country or open forest and while bully cattle or bully lab would have been handy dogs at one time. The pigs are not dumb and have become very weary to noise such as the ute, dog cage rattle or dog wimper and are off at a great of knots. So we use staghounds and a ridgeback as a finder I find they to work well for me are silent hunters and can cover the ground and get to the pigs before they get to far away.

Not bagging any one elses dogs this is just what works for me. I have hunted with foxeis in and around blackberry and they sure know how to get things moving and 3 or 4 foxies can really get the job done.

Stevemac

Gday All

been watching this topic for a while. And it really is a case of horses for causes where we hunt it is open country or open forest and while bully cattle or bully lab would have been handy dogs at one time. The pigs are not dumb and have become very weary to noise such as the ute, dog cage rattle or dog wimper and are off at a great of knots. So we use staghounds and a ridgeback as a finder I find they to work well for me are silent hunters and can cover the ground and get to the pigs before they get to far away.

Not bagging any one elses dogs this is just what works for me. I have hunted with foxeis in and around blackberry and they sure know how to get things moving and 3 or 4 foxies can really get the job done.

Stevemac

thanks for the reply stevemac ;) i was at one point considering getting a ridgeback, but they aren't really suited to hunting in england. how do you find them doubled up? do they find and bail, or find and hold? how are they speedwise and on foxes?

yes have used foxterriers in the past, thinking of importing some jadg's at some stage. we tend to catch our pigs along way away from the ute, way back in the hills.noise is not an issue in nz. although pighunting in the pines certainly breeds a faster running pig and dogs with a large percentage of sight hound are used. ridgebacks have been and gone in nz LL think they were lacking in something because they not used much now, on paper they appear to have wots needed for pighunting withot having to crossbreed. do you have boar around you???????

Gday Fellas

Ive had ridgebacks for 26 years and yes I have heard all the opinions on the abilities or lack of from pig hunters. I have had ones that would find and lug I have ones that would find and bail and Ive had ones that would find and point. After 26yrs and 21 dogs you could say the only commonality between them all is they ( apart from one that could not find his tail if it wasnt stuck on ) could find game In some of the areas that I have hunted this is no mean feet.

As far as foxes go it is a very sad ridgeback that can not run down a fox and deal with it.

A very close friend of mine has a angora goat stud and the foxes are kept well in control by her 3 ridgeback bitches.

Although ridgebacks are not sighthounds one thing they have in common with sighthounds is that they are slow maturing the young male that I am hunting at the momment is 14mths old and is just starting to take things seriously although he has been taken out since 6 mnths old.

unfortunatly the show dog world got hold of them very early in their development which has stopped the tweeking by adding new blood that any new breed needs.

The ridgeback was never ment to be a long distance hunter and when on foot works out to about 2-300yds a head or works in large circles comming back to checkin before heading of in the other direction. Being a warm nosed dog they concentrate on fresh scent, which means the game is usually not to for away.

this is where I find they work in well with the staghounds the stags having very little nose keep a very close eye on the ridgeback when the scent is fresh and the pace is picked up.

hope this helps .

stevemac

ps I have always thought that I could use a ridgeback x greyhound, A little more speed and a lttle more prey drive in some of them would have been good.