:11: so [bANNED TEXT] we see on tv with the posh shooting is correct, thats not hunting lol, be an experiance for sure, we have english type shoots popping up allover the place and i done some work on one years ago. gwp-gsp competely different dogs, more than just a coat differance, the gsp is more birdy where as the wire was bred for big game as well.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:11: so [bANNED TEXT] we see on tv with the posh shooting is correct, thats not hunting lol, be an experiance for sure, we have english type shoots popping up allover the place and i done some work on one years ago. gwp-gsp competely different dogs, more than just a coat differance, the gsp is more birdy where as the wire was bred for big game as well.

some of the shoots over here are like that :11: its just good to completely trust your dog. is there a size difference between the two dogs? i think the reason that few people in the shooting scene is because they are too big, the trend is now for smaller dogs, that can get into cover easier. i'd love to see some work though.

• 4 weeks later...

been hunting along the pecos river near roswell for boar or feral big thye have both there they used walker hounds and pionter pit bull draw dogs ,great fun, i had to stick one a bit hairy i had 44 for back up , we hunted the river bottoms the dogs had trackers on them and we followed with jeep and foot ,the sane week we done a bear we let her go on the apache res near the tularosa valley i think all the best, had ahog roast to, great sport ,if i stayed there i would hunt with hounds etc more often

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

my cousin uses a Ridgeback. its the first pig dog he's had but he says it works better than some bull x's he's seen. havent seen the dog in person myself but have seen photo's. its a good looking dog. apparently ridgbeacks are one of the breeds more suitable for hunters whom rely on a keen sense of smell from their dogs. this dog is a really good sniffer and is often hunted through sugar cane feilds and stuff in Queensland. :gunsmilie:

do you live in aus it is lovely there isnt it, what is the hunting like.

australia is great. the hunting can be full on depending on what areas you are in and your quarry. id imagine that most people would be ending their seasons about now because the heat is kicking in. time to put away the breast plates for another season fellas. by the way im not a pigger so i dont know for sure about the pig season's

• 1 month later...

In the US the top hog dogs are hands down the CUR family Black mouth cur and the cat cur being the top they also hunt mt.lion, bear, coyote, bobcat, coon and they work cows.. the bulldogs and pits are just for catch dogs after all the work has been done and most curs will bay and catch if there is more than 1. go to http://www.baydog.com/

Christian Jondahl

theyre damned rare but some still use American Bulldogs for tracking and catching.. but its debatable really if they are even pure or not. i guess you could call them curs seeing as how people like outcrossing with hound to up the scenting ability. but mostly you're right. the bulldogs are mostly the muscle after the fact.... i would love to see people go back to breeding the scenting ability BACK into ABs.... my AB bitch has a good nose on her for finding game, and has taken on a coyote before.. but lately havent been able to get real serious with working her more on it due to many underlying and depressing circumstances.. so we're limited with what she can do for the time being..

i like catahoula's though.. a good multi-purpose dog :D

• 1 month later...
In reply to lamping lurcher on your question to Kiwi,I can tell you boxers are Pretty much ideal, there fast runners, agile,excellent at jumping and bite quite hard too, i can only guess the lab provides the brains?

In reply to TONEDOG, Ive never been to a Aussie dog pound so cant comment on them, but i have been to plenty in england and there stuffed full of "unwanted" pets. A working dog of a decent grade has a price and therefore is more likely to be sold or passed on instead of being dumped.

What i said about feral pigs "my grannys tougher" was a more a joke than a statement mate it was lighthearted and not meant in any serious sense. As i said i have been to Oz and seen My inlaws dogs hunt, Ive also seen the scars and old armour thats been battered by the pigs so i dont underestimate them in the slightest. :no: As for euro boar being carefree sitting in a meadow eating flowers, what experience do you base that comment on?

Hi all...i am a new member to this site but have been hunting wild pigs for years...where do you say??...in New Zealand of course....I'm here to just give my 2 cents worth about what type of dog is considered as being worthy of making the grade as a top pigdog...He/she has to have 3 main attributes...1)..Speed....2)..the ability to think ahead.. and 3)..the heart for the sport,and whatever else will naturally fall into place. I have a bitch over 2 yrs old that can pull up a good boar by herself....ass end the boar which keeps him in one place and then bails which lets me know where to find her although i use tracking gear as well....3 attributes...if you look closely. i think it does not matter what breed you use , but what you put into them training wise....a dog is only as good as what it's master puts into it. And cuzzy you're wrong about the size of pigs in Aussie....I've seen some big pigs but aussie has some of the biggest by far..By the way i have 3 dogs ....breed are greyhound/bull cattle xs... :clapper::bye::notworthy::bye:

In reply to lamping lurcher on your question to Kiwi,I can tell you boxers are Pretty much ideal, there fast runners, agile,excellent at jumping and bite quite hard too, i can only guess the lab provides the brains?

In reply to TONEDOG, Ive never been to a Aussie dog pound so cant comment on them, but i have been to plenty in england and there stuffed full of "unwanted" pets. A working dog of a decent grade has a price and therefore is more likely to be sold or passed on instead of being dumped.

What i said about feral pigs "my grannys tougher" was a more a joke than a statement mate it was lighthearted and not meant in any serious sense. As i said i have been to Oz and seen My inlaws dogs hunt, Ive also seen the scars and old armour thats been battered by the pigs so i dont underestimate them in the slightest. :no: As for euro boar being carefree sitting in a meadow eating flowers, what experience do you base that comment on?

Hi all...i am a new member to this site but have been hunting wild pigs for years...where do you say??...in New Zealand of course....I'm here to just give my 2 cents worth about what type of dog is considered as being worthy of making the grade as a top pigdog...He/she has to have 3 main attributes...1)..Speed....2)..the ability to think ahead.. and 3)..the heart for the sport,and whatever else will naturally fall into place. I have a bitch over 2 yrs old that can pull up a good boar by herself....ass end the boar which keeps him in one place and then bails which lets me know where to find her although i use tracking gear as well....3 attributes...if you look closely. i think it does not matter what breed you use , but what you put into them training wise....a dog is only as good as what it's master puts into it. And cuzzy you're wrong about the size of pigs in Aussie....I've seen some big pigs but aussie has some of the biggest by far..By the way i have 3 dogs ....breed are greyhound/bull cattle xs... :clapper::bye::notworthy::bye:

I also forgot to add that labs are bred to think as well as to sniff as thats what makes them fantastic guide dogs for the blind as well as sniffer dogs for customs....their noses are one of the keenest i know....thanks... :bye::bye::boogie::bye:

Edited by iceman