couple of pics of kangaroo/staghounds

STEVEMAC

And another.

Stevemac

Cracking dogs - It looks like theyve done really well too. I wish there were more relaxed attitudes to hunting in the uk. Its a joke over here. Im envious of you.

jon

same here mate. satevemac, have you got any pics of your ridgebacks hunting?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is another of my ridgebacks and his Prize.

Next is my mates bull arabxamerican bulldog and a staghound bitch sister to mine.

Buggered that up. try again

Tend not to take picks when dogs have game to busy getting there and helping out.

Stevemac

This is another of my ridgebacks and his Prize.

Next is my mates bull arabxamerican bulldog and a staghound bitch sister to mine.

Buggered that up. try again

Tend not to take picks when dogs have game to busy getting there and helping out.

Stevemac

great pics mate :clapper::clapper: really like those dogs. do they get injured much? how often do you go out? thanks again for the great pics

Nice GWP Kiwi

How do you find them around your other dogs I have heard the males can be a bit dog agressive.

LL Thanks mate I dont want to tempt fate but we have been lucky over the years with only minor injurys that any dog can get in the bush.

Heading out west in a fortnight where the staghounds come into their own see how we go.

Stevemac

Nice GWP Kiwi

How do you find them around your other dogs I have heard the males can be a bit dog agressive.

LL Thanks mate I dont want to tempt fate but we have been lucky over the years with only minor injurys that any dog can get in the bush.

Heading out west in a fortnight where the staghounds come into their own see how we go.

Stevemac

good luck mate :D - remember to bring your camera ;)

hi steve, i have never had a prob with the males around other dogs, but the bitches seem too like a good punch up, no worries really as they are not aggressive, just not afraid to step outside with other dogs after a few words :11: they have plenty of game sense and are so easy to hunt.

hi steve, i have never had a prob with the males around other dogs, but the bitches seem too like a good punch up, no worries really as they are not aggressive, just not afraid to step outside with other dogs after a few words :11: they have plenty of game sense and are so easy to hunt.

do you use your for feather? if soo, how steady are they on the field?

depends [bANNED TEXT] ya mean by steady, yes they are, i train them on birds first, ducks,geese,pheasant,turkeys,peacocks,quail even mynas out the back yard. they are easy to train on most game once you have a good stop and recall. they love the water and don't get restless waiting for the ducks to fly in.

depends [bANNED TEXT] ya mean by steady, yes they are, i train them on birds first, ducks,geese,pheasant,turkeys,peacocks,quail even mynas out the back yard. they are easy to train on most game once you have a good stop and recall. they love the water and don't get restless waiting for the ducks to fly in.

nice sounding dogs mate :D do you work them on shoots etc? what ge do you start them on larger game and how do you do it?

we don't actually have shoots over here, the shooting is [bANNED TEXT] you guys call rough shooting i think. there are some paid shooting estates in some game areas, for the fat americans but not many. with the huge increase in ex poms coming into the country we can now buy gamebirds for release, previously the fish n game done all the releasing but now we can let go as many as we can, i would say shoots lock up alot of land so only a few people can shoot it but over here hunting is quite easy to get both private and public land, interesting how quick the expats try and lock everybody out once they buy some land with a bit of river :11: not the way we do it in nz. i just run my pointers with my pigdogs to get then started on pigs but keep them on a rope til the other dogs find and stop the pig then i let them go with a pigpigpig call, they learn real fast and get all excited when we come across fresh pig sign when out deerstalking, i don't let them go unless i wanna bit of pork. stalking deer and goats is great fun with a gwp, i wouldn't be with out a dog if i can help it. getting them under good control with hand signals and clicks or whistles is all it takes for deer, and to be able to walk/heel close is a must :)

we don't actually have shoots over here, the shooting is [bANNED TEXT] you guys call rough shooting i think. there are some paid shooting estates in some game areas, for the fat americans but not many. with the huge increase in ex poms coming into the country we can now buy gamebirds for release, previously the fish n game done all the releasing but now we can let go as many as we can, i would say shoots lock up alot of land so only a few people can shoot it but over here hunting is quite easy to get both private and public land, interesting how quick the expats try and lock everybody out once they buy some land with a bit of river :11: not the way we do it in nz. i just run my pointers with my pigdogs to get then started on pigs but keep them on a rope til the other dogs find and stop the pig then i let them go with a pigpigpig call, they learn real fast and get all excited when we come across fresh pig sign when out deerstalking, i don't let them go unless i wanna bit of pork. stalking deer and goats is great fun with a gwp, i wouldn't be with out a dog if i can help it. getting them under good control with hand signals and clicks or whistles is all it takes for deer, and to be able to walk/heel close is a must :)

just out of interest, how difficult are they to obedience trainn etc - ie, heel, stay and training to the gun? because i have always demanded that my gundogs leave any bird/animal untill i give the command. my old goldie could have a fresh shot bird land 5 yards away, be writhing and making noise, and she wouldnt move 'till i said to...well when she hit 18months ish anyway! reason im telling you this is because i have heard such mixed opinions on gwp's as far as steadiness etc is concerened.

have run and breed labs before these gwp's and found them to be exactly the same in doing as they are told, the worst thing ya can do is compare them to a shorthair, don't have a use for a dog thats gonna sit down a watch a dead bird, but for beating and wotnot i'm sure thats a requirement, they will hold a point for ages til ya ready to send them in to flush, which they do with no account for personal saftey, simalar to a springer, blackberry and gorse no problem :clapper: the germans done right in breeding these dogs, hard buggas.training is not as easy as a lab but they bond very well to there owner and are not that hard to get stop and recall on, real people dogs.

have run and breed labs before these gwp's and found them to be exactly the same in doing as they are told, the worst thing ya can do is compare them to a shorthair, don't have a use for a dog thats gonna sit down a watch a dead bird, but for beating and wotnot i'm sure thats a requirement

dont beat mate - i pick up with my dogs :D over here it definately is a requirement, just imagine this;

practically all the guns that come to the shoots im part of are millionaires - and posh b*****ds at that. then theres me, not much money, wearing barbour jacket and boots and generally looking like a farmers son :11:

if my dogs cannot sit there and wait for me to give the command to retrieve, the guns will get pissed off (and i dont get tipped! :angry: )

plus its always safer for a dog to be under the complete control of her master. JMO.

why is it bad to compare gwp's to gsp's? just an ignorant brit wanting to know :11: