Old type ferrets

A few years ago when I was a youth [ about the time England won the world cup ] nearly all the ferrets around my area were whites quite long and thin with an arched back and it seemed to be a long way from their front legs to their nose which was long and snipy not like the ones I have now small and short coupled with a round face they work very well but I would like to get some of the old type ones if any one breeds them like that any more. If any one does breed them like this and has a couple spare please get in touch . pokey

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice pair of Albinos John.   Small Ferrets are nice to have, just that bit easier for everything   Cheers,   Shaun

I also keep a hutch full of the greyhound type, although none of mine are albino , polecats and silvers

I can remember ferrets kept by old poachers [bANNED TEXT] i was a kid that were always albinos and slim with arched backs as i got older i did put this down to the bred & milk diet that was mainly

Posted Images

A few years ago when I was a youth [ about the time England won the world cup ] nearly all the ferrets around my area were whites quite long and thin with an arched back and it seemed to be a long way from their front legs to their nose which was long and snipy not like the ones I have now small and short coupled with a round face they work very well but I would like to get some of the old type ones if any one breeds them like that any more. If any one does breed them like this and has a couple spare please get in touch . pokey

Theres one or two got the '' Greyhound type'' ferrets on this forum , i am sure they will post when they read this

I'm interested in the greyhound type ferrets to

ive got two greyhound type ferrets came from a guy off another forum , these are my two my jill is very small , my hob has got a really thick winter coat at the moment so he looks bigger than he is, hopefully will slim out after a good moult ( so i have been told )

compressedpic1.jpg

090722_150125.jpg

090724_165849_1.jpg

the first pic is when they where kits & the others are more recent, im happy with these two, i have only just started to work them but they are showing real promise, i originally wanted two jills but had to settle on 1 of each, im glad i did as the hob has turned out to be real gentle to handle, but from what i witnessed on sunday ( his first time working ) he will be a real asset & give the bunnies some real problems,

regards john

magwitch is the one with greyhound types, fit them in a pint glass

Greyhound ferrets were not small.Magwitch has at least one that I have seen on his posts that is very greyhound type but much too small or it may be that he has a very long collar strap.

johnmac666 you have very nice white ferrets which I'm sure are good workers but in my opinion are not Greyhound types. P1

magwitch is the one with greyhound types, fit them in a pint glass

Greyhound ferrets were not small.Magwitch has at least one that I have seen on his posts that is very greyhound type but much too small or it may be that he has a very long collar strap.

johnmac666 you have very nice white ferrets which I'm sure are good workers but in my opinion are not Greyhound types. P1

Agree with para1 ;)

Asked this question last year, heard the term greyhound ferrets from lots of old boys, and my old man as well, but none of them could tell me what a greyhound ferret was!

This to my knowledge is the best i can get.

A lean ferret, usually an albino jill, long in the back almost springy like.

Are these two anything like by anyone's standards?

DSCF2129.jpg

DSCF2142.jpg

Thats right Para 1 the ones we had were quite long and thin easily go through the net but we never had collars then. I did not mention "greyhound" before as I read this before on here and they are not what I am on about. The ones in the pictures look good ferrets but not like the ones we had pokey

Asked this question last year, heard the term greyhound ferrets from lots of old boys, and my old man as well, but none of them could tell me what a greyhound ferret was!

DSCF2129.jpg

DSCF2142.jpg

my two ferrtes are the very same ;)

ill try put pics up tomoro :thumbs:

atb Bill

DSCF2129.jpg

DSCF2142.jpg

Brimmer congratulations mate they are the nearest thing to Greyhound ferrets I have seen in years.

If posible I would like to order 2 jills off you right now.P1

The sibling hobs from the same lines are much more square than the jills, and look far more stocky. Albino ferrets have been a reliable working ferret up north.

If they come from certain lines, then they are dying out year by year as the ferret fashion police breed the none workers.

I have three jills, all are similar in frame.

Two will be bred next year (none bred this year).

The sibling hobs from the same lines are much more square than the jills, and look far more stocky. Albino ferrets have been a reliable working ferret up north.

If they come from certain lines, then they are dying out year by year as the ferret fashion police breed the none workers.

I have three jills, all are similar in frame.

Two will be bred next year (none bred this year).

Your ferrets are very like the ones i saw when i first kept ferrets, yours look solid as well not these scrawney weedy things you sometimes see , today you hardly ever see lean ferrets , they seem to be far more weighty & a totally different shape