Long range sights

If thats the case i'd recommend a fine duplex ret. With a good set of turrets, like the m1 range on leupold... or nightforce range.

varmint ret. will be too cluttered for extended range i find....

Snap.

Snap - you and me both. I learned to shoot long range with aperture sights. As you know, you can't "aim off". Dial it in, boy, dial it in. As I said above, KISS. I don't want all this crap in my field of view . . .

Looks like a fixed mag scope, around 12x, 1/4 MOA/click turrets is gonna be my best bet. Back to where I started from. Now, if you want to talk maker I've taken a lot of long shots with a camera. Nikon make some classy 'scopes . . . and they always were the best glass . . .

Ric

personally think your away of the mark going for a fixed mag due to the range variations you intend to shoot...

i'd recommend any glass by the germans, also leupold lenses are excellent, nightforce also, you know all this already

Dialing in your range isn't rocket science, all you need to figure out is bullet drop, and your away.

look through a range of scopes if you can before you buy... on the range if preferable..... maybe even shoot a few rounds...

To many jump in to quickly thinkng a certain ret. is for them, only to find it too cluttered, etc...... too thick, to thin.

buy a scope set in the second focal plane too..... So the ret will not increase or decrese in size once you turn up or down the mag.

Snap.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If thats the case i'd recommend a fine duplex ret. With a good set of turrets, like the m1 range on leupold... or nightforce range.

varmint ret. will be too cluttered for extended range i find....

Snap.

Snap - you and me both. I learned to shoot long range with aperture sights. As you know, you can't "aim off". Dial it in, boy, dial it in. As I said above, KISS. I don't want all this crap in my field of view . . .

Looks like a fixed mag scope, around 12x, 1/4 MOA/click turrets is gonna be my best bet. Back to where I started from. Now, if you want to talk maker I've taken a lot of long shots with a camera. Nikon make some classy 'scopes . . . and they always were the best glass . . .

Ric

personally think your away of the mark going for a fixed mag due to the range variations you intend to shoot...

i'd recommend any glass by the germans, also leupold lenses are excellent, nightforce also, you know all this already

Dialing in your range isn't rocket science, all you need to figure out is bullet drop, and your away.

look through a range of scopes if you can before you buy... on the range if preferable..... maybe even shoot a few rounds...

To many jump in to quickly thinkng a certain ret. is for them, only to find it too cluttered, etc...... too thick, to thin.

buy a scope set in the second focal plane too..... So the ret will not increase or decrese in size once you turn up or down the mag.

Snap.

Snap - THANK YOU!

Your comment about fixed mag v variable is exactly what I need to know. If you guys with experience in the field rate variable scopes then that is good enough for me. I just don't know, and I can't find out from my armchair, the best way to go. So it strikes me now that the Zeiss 6-24 x 56 Diavari, 2nd focal plane reticle 60, which is a three post crosshair jobbie, should be exactly what I'm gonna need. Just as Jamie said! Thank you all so much! If it all works out I'll keep you posted.

Meantime, I have to present a seminar on Wittgenstein tomorrow. Say a little prayer for me.

Ric

Ric if you are thinking mainly daylight use (and that those ranges I hope you are!!) then I would get something with good adjustments rather than the finest glass.

I love Zeiss optics, they're fantastic, but when I looked into the long range stuff, there was the occasional murmur that Zeiss adjustments weren't as good as Nightforce, US Optics, that type of thing. So I went with Nightforce. My requirements were 1000 yards for 308 without any MOA base.

Nightforce and Leupold do it, + some others. Zeiss didn't do it, which is why I didn't get Zeiss.

The Mildot ret on my Nightforce is fine enough, they also do the NP2DD which is a dot, that should be good too. My mag is 5.5-22x56, I can't see that you'd come up short with one of these.

I also have a Leupold VX-III 6.5-20 and a 4.5-14x50. Both have the Varmint hunter ret, which is good for long range target and for aiming off while out in the field. Leupold's turrets in target form aren't great in the field - get M1 turrets if you go Leupold.

Thanks again guys. My prejudice against variable mag lenses goes back to my years as a keen amateur photographer, when I had a couple of zoom lenses that spent more time being repaired than they did on my cameras. Fixed lenses also give better optical performance. (I gave up photography in disgust when all that digital shite hit the market. Takes all the skill away, moan moan call me Victor Meldrew!)

Well apart from anything else it wouldn't really be practicable to carry 3 or 4 different scopes, and by the time I re-zeroed, the quarry would have got bored and buggered off home, so a variable it is. Following some of the remarks on here, I've been checking out the Nightforce 5.5-22 x 56. Well yes. Impressive, and, Mr L, I noticed the difference in adjustment from the Zeiss. I have no qualms about dialling in, it's how I learned to shoot. Very dodgy trying to aim off with an aperture sight that gives a total field of view of 1 MOA. So a simple reticle should do me fine.

Just to mention one of the disadvantages of armchair research, I hadn't considered Nightforce before cos I assumed (yes I know!) that they were dedicated night scopes!

Everyone has been very helpful on this. As and when it all starts to come together I may blag a day out on the range to check things for myself. :whistling:

Thanks people,

Ric. :signthankspin:

Just so long as it's not Bisley... 204 is way in excess of Bisley range regs :)

Oo - er. No but seriously I've always regarded Bisley as the dogs dodgy bits for <1000 yard shooting. Is .204 really outside that envelope? P'raps I'll need an 8-32 after all!

204 isn't what I'd use on targets! Bisley says you should have IIRC max muzzle velocity of 3275. Max energy now covered by HME restrictions to 4500 joules.

Well no. Likkle tiny fragmenting bullets zinging off the walls and bouncing around the target area might not be a good idea. Although I've got a "back of the envelope" design for a 4.85mm/.19" 60gr FMJ spire point boat tail using the 5mm/35 SMc case with an extended throat chamber. Should be good for sub 1/2 MOA at 1500 yards in low wind conditions.

Ric

Edited by RicW
i had a 5.5-22 nightforce and I dont think for daylight shooting it could be bettered. The np2dd reticule is a fantastic long range varminting reticle (I havent seen a better one) and the turrets are bang on everytime. :notworthy:

Couldn't agree more. Superb scope, very robust, excellent build quality and unsurpassed accuracy. I've used one for the last six years and wouldn't concider anything else. Expencive, but quality costs. I might look at the 8-32 x 56 for the extra range if I were you, but I wouldn't look at another make of scope as you won't find better quality. Best of luck.

Edited by sorel-2007

i agree about all said about the nightforce scopes, they are built like tanks, positive clicks, excellent tracking, but in low light levels, i have to say i would of expected better for the money,

leupold and S&B beat it hands down on this front....

hence, see if you can look through the scopes in the field before you buy..

Snap.

i agree about all said about the nightforce scopes, they are built like tanks, positive clicks, excellent tracking, but in low light levels, i have to say i would of expected better for the money,

Snap.

So if we are talking low light levels we are back to Kahles. They use glass which is optimised to transmit frequencies to which the human eye remains sensitive at low intensity. Sadly, they don't seem to make high-mag scopes.

Has anyone else noticed that we are increasingly considering seriously expensive gear? "There's no substitute for class". Get the best, fugh the rest. Suits me. If it's worth doing it's worth doing well.

Ric

Snap.

So if we are talking low light levels we are back to Kahles. They use glass which is optimised to transmit frequencies to which the human eye remains sensitive at low intensity. Sadly, they don't seem to make high-mag scopes.

Has anyone else noticed that we are increasingly considering seriously expensive gear? "There's no substitute for class". Get the best, fugh the rest. Suits me. If it's worth doing it's worth doing well.

Ric

They do a Modell K 624TT 6-24x56:

http://www.kahles.at/index.php?sprache=1&menu=29