best deer dog pre ban

i hear alot about lines for coursing n rabbiting n such but what about dogs that have been solely bred for deer, were or are there any. dogs for hunting deer in woodland. no silly coments about deerhounds :D . thanks awen

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why do you call it nonsense? A proper dog will run up on the deer seize the hock, set the brakes on, drive through and topple it and then throat it. Nothin nonsense about that. As a matter of fact

Posted Images

i hear alot about lines for coursing n rabbiting n such but what about dogs that have been solely bred for deer, were or are there any. dogs for hunting deer in woodland. no silly coments about deerhounds :D . thanks awen

Scooby very good deer dog books a good read as well dont know what cross it was im sure mr darcy could enlighten us though also minshaw breeds were ment to be good at deer although i think mostly taken on lamp not the same as day time but large numbers taken dont know about taken deer in woodland deer move to quick through cover would have tought

There are many differewnt types of dog that will take a deer, if not most lurchers. i know of a lurcher that stands no more than 21" which took down a roe doe deer. Reason being it didnt have to run it, as it cornered the deer, then the rest came naturally.

Adog with good stamina and that extra drive to go the full distance will work on deer.

Saluki crosses..

Bull crosses

collie crosses

etc.....

Ask John (darcy) about deer dogs if you are serious on the subject. There is no one more dedicated into taking venision than this geazer. His books are the best read you can buy and his dog SCOOBY is a legend......

Guest lurchers&terriers

the dog in my signature on the left as you look at it will take as many deer as you put in front of him all day. hes great at tracking them to. i can assure you if there's deer about hes going to find them. hes a 3/4 greyhound 1/4 deerhound. its such a shame its not allowed these days.

There are many differewnt types of dog that will take a deer, if not most lurchers. i know of a lurcher that stands no more than 21" which took down a roe doe deer. Reason being it didnt have to run it, as it cornered the deer, then the rest came naturally.

Adog with good stamina and that extra drive to go the full distance will work on deer.

Saluki crosses..

Bull crosses

collie crosses

etc.....

Ask John (darcy) about deer dogs if you are serious on the subject. There is no one more dedicated into taking venision than this geazer. His books are the best read you can buy and his dog SCOOBY is a legend......

no one more dedicated than darcy ,your having a laugh he never made a living at it like some ,that is why he has to write books . , scooby being a legend ,i never heard of the dog untill i came on her ,but darcy had heard of some of our dogs . that is what i mean about some of the crap on here . no disrespect darcy but some things have to be said . Edited by UNFIT