Hi I have the great pleasure in working close to the Scottish border, in Otterburn. I regularly see crossbills in the area. I have bred British finches for nearly 40 years, and last year obtained a pair, I bred 15 chicks from them and they are lovely, and easy birds to keep. Now I have the chance to observe them in the wild and in captivity, and to make various comparisons. Has anyone else seen these in the wild, or breed them????

That'll cost ya a bit to register them chicks,was that 3 rounds?We get a few flocks down here in winter(n yorks)Strange that there"bills"aren't crossed when they hatch.Dont keep any British anymore as moved house and got no room,unfortunately.Kept the usual hardbills and a few softbills plus Norwich canaries.Split the lot between 2 of me mates when i moved.Crossbills are right characters though even though they destroy your aviaries.Are they down yet?Good luck with the other finches this year.

Hi, no that was with five rounds, had her first eggs on December 30th. Mind first 2 rounds only had a 1 and a 2. Couldnt stop the hen laying, took all the foliage out of the flight, and she built on the floor, transfered eggs under greenies, reared ok, but lost them when they came out of nest, should have hand reared them from there. Had 16 chicks so far from 2 pair, lost the lot. One hen down on eggs again now. Mine rip the flight apart outside the breeding season, once there down, no bother, mind you I add things to take their minds off it. I think they are great birds to observe, I work in Otterburn, so I see many in the wild too. Yes, the beaks start to cross anytime after 6 weeks.

Sounds like you might be getting the erge for birds again!!

Bill :yes:

Its like hunting doxhope its in your blood i think.Gonna get some cages for the shed and and try mules/hybrids bred redpolls&greenies in cages befor,but will be limited to amount of cages so will just try the crosses.Got a decent sized front garden but National Parks wont allow buildings in them.Sorry to hear about your chicks how old were they when they died?But as you well no nothing is guarenteed with british you have agood year then next year nowt.I know its time consuming but i dont think you can beat gathering wild food for em.